Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Pretuned P72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretuned P72

I'm picking up a P72 for super cheap and I was planning on chipping it myself. I feel I'm qualified because I built an MS2+ board and it worked great. I saw a kit on eBay that AdvancedIgnition sells including a burnt chip. I know the risk of using this type of service, and I know the risk of running untuned. I don't need to hear flak about that. It's not that big of a deal. To put it in perspective most guys excluding Honda guys buy ecus or programmers and just plug them in. For the most part they have a single tune, regardless of mods and they run fine. I myself have done that. I even used the same ECU swapping a 2.0 to a 2.4 and just swapped the injectors. Ran like a raped ape. Eventually I will get around to getting the hardware to tune myself, but for now my finances are limited.
    Anyway, they want to know:
    Vehicle Year and Model: 93 Accord CB7
    Engine Year and Model: 93 H22A Blacktop
    Engine Mods: AEM CAI, Feel's Twin Cam Header, Apexi WS2 complete.

As far as the rest of this, I'm guessing.
    Rev Limit: 8200
    Shift Light: 7400
    VTEC crossover: 4900
    2-Step: 3500
    Optional sensors disabled: Knock, remove speed limiter
    Other important info: ???

Those are all guesses based of stuff I've seen from other websites. Are they good, or what should be adjusted?
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

I highly recommend a Neptune RTP or Demon system

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
    I know the risk of using this type of service, and I know the risk of running untuned. I don't need to hear flak about that. It's not that big of a deal. To put it in perspective most guys excluding Honda guys buy ecus or programmers and just plug them in. For the most part they have a single tune, regardless of mods and they run fine. I myself have done that. I even used the same ECU swapping a 2.0 to a 2.4 and just swapped the injectors. Ran like a raped ape.

Those are all guesses based of stuff I've seen from other websites. Are they good, or what should be adjusted?
    I'm not trying to give you flak but I'm seriously recommending you holding off on those companies offering a basic burnt tune. Your finances are limited but I recommend saving and investing in a Neptune RTP or Demon system.

Their generic program probably won't do no harm to your engine but at the same time that tune probably isn't going to give you any benefits whatsoever either. It can run either too rich or too lean across the RPM range and hurt your horsepower and gas mileage at the very least.

We basically have the exact same engine mods minus the intake and I have a WS1. Every H22a is different of course but if you need a "basemap" to work with rather than their generic map I'll be happy to send you my OBD1 p72 neptune tune.

Honestly neptune is really worth it and in my opinion the best bang for your buck versus Hondata and the like. You can connect your laptop and "burn" well...reflash a tune as many times as you want rather than burning a whole new eprom chip again. Just use a USB and bam.

As for your layout, I don't recommend having the 2-step @ 3500 if you have a very light flywheel and live in a area with very steep hills. I'm running a Neptune RTP setup on my CB and had it professionally tuned by Blacktrax and the default they set the 2-step to was @3700. Don't get me wrong 3500 is fine for launching but with my 9lb flywheel I had issues on two occasions climbing up very steep hills here in San Francisco and Berkeley. I was basically bouncing off my rev limiter trying to get up the hill without backing into the car that was kissing my cars ass. There is several ways to activate the 2-step and I find the 0mph activation option the easiest.

Lemme know man. I was going to go your route too and chip my own P06 and get a generic tune but I opted out and just saved until I could afford the Neptune RTP. Believe me you won't regret it.

I am the Yakuza CB7!
    JDM 96spec H22A 178HP 149TQ

"The JDM Fleet"

1993 Accord Sedan - 2.2 JDM H22a
    1994 Prelude V-Tec
    1999 CL 3.0
    2000 Prelude
    2010 Accord Crosstour - 3.5

1993 Mirage S Sedan - 2.0 4G63 Project Evo 2.5
    1994 Mirage S Sedan - 1.5

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS - 1.6 AWD Turbo
    1993 Asuna - 1.8 "CDM Impulse XS"

1993 Sentra SE-R - 2.0 SR20de
    1995 200sx SE-R - 2.0 Sr20ve

Comment

I can't offer any advice on tuning. I'm still trying to learn.

But If you can get the p72 for a good price. I would. It can control the IAB stock, and a p28 or p06 can't. You can add stuff to them but the p72 is that way from Honda.

I wish I had known this before I got my P06 chipped to p28. But then Again I've had it for 5 years.

Good luck

steve

I have an s300. Overpriced prob, but I can use it myself and that was what the guy at the shop I use said to get.

Comment

So my P72 kicks ass. It's tuned with Chrome too so I can make adjustments as needed. It runs much harder than it did before. But weirdly enough VTEC engagement is now so smooth I don't even hear or feel it kick over. The car just starts pulling even harder. Moved the crossover from stock to 4900. Maybe the power is matched better at those points so it's a smoother transition. They also sent me an extra chip that is tuned for an aftermarket manifold with no IAB's, so when I go that route I can just pop it in.

Comment

Do you have a wideband?

Comment

No, that's my next purchase. I wish I kept my old one off my Neon, sold it last semester with my nitrous kit I had. Wish I kept that too.

Comment

Working...
            X