Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Beginner tuning setup? What is needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner tuning setup? What is needed?

What would the beginning tuner need to get started?

I know that an ECU chipping kit, ECU, wideband o2 sensor, datalogging cables, and a compatible computer with the proper program is necessary. Is this all that's needed to get started?

Now, what tools can increase the options? An Emulator such as the Ostrich? Exhaust gas temp sensor? Vac gauge?

I'm interested to know what tools are absolutely necessary, and what tools can be added to the setup later for better results...

you pretty much got it deev..

The easiest way is to just buy all the electronic componants from a place like moates.net in a nice all in one package.

though i will add having a soldering and desoldering iron is certainly usefull!

Depending on your soldering skills, the actual chipping process isnt all that hard. I screwed up my first ECU, but that was because i was using improper tools (i didnt have a desoldering iron, so i was using the soldering iron the best i could).

There are very detailed instructions on the pgmfi.org wiki that can take you through the process step by step.

The wideband is needed, many come with their own datalogging hardware and software. ECUcontrol(www.ecucontrol.com) is probabyl the better "third party" datalogging software to use.

If your going to be tuning yourself, a chip burner is also necessary. you dont need anything super fancy, but some of the "cheaper" burners (like williem) can give you a head ache if you are not computer savy.

Once you have all that and a basemap you are ready to start your tuning adventure (thats the fun part!). At the most basic level, all you need to do is make a run, log the sensor information, and correct the fuel/ignition/whateverelse you want accordingly (easier said than done sometimes).

Once you make adjustments, re-burn the chip, plug it back into its slot and take another run. repeat the last step until you have a tune you are happy with

Ostritch is something that can come in VERY handy, but its also fairly expensive for the DIYer. Tuning on the fly is an invaluable tool, but its certainly not something you NEED. iv never used one, and i had fairly good success. reburning a chip only takes a few seconds

I would like to see MRX make a thread detailing exactly how to tune the car (since he is MUCH better at it, and has more experience than myself). Id like to see examples as to what your final HP/TQ curves should resemble. how to know whats safe and whats not. The theory of ignition tuning and keeping the torque curve flat etc...

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

When MRX used the Ostrich on my car, he just uploaded to it, rather than tuning in real time. That way, he was sure not to do something bad by accident while I was at WOT. I think I'll be investing in one someday.

Comment

I have another question; will chipping a stock engine help at all?
        I see an MRX sticky on chipping an ECU coming.

Also, I like this forum Deev, it actually is making me want to chip my car.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I expect an MRX sticky There are already instructions for chipping around, so he'll probably just link to them. Regardless, it'll be worthwhile.

Modifying an ECU for a stock engine (as in bone stock, no mods whatsoever) can produce some gains, seeing as cars usually run on the rich side from the factory for safety... but there are more gains to be had after mods are done.

I've noticed that bolt-on airflow mods (I/H/E mainly) seem to cause a car to run on the rich side with the stock ECU. My H22 did it, 93twodoorLX's F22A1 did it, and icedplaya123's F22A1 did it. Fuel economy decreases, black soot comes from the tailpipe (mine was BAD), and you can smell it in the exhaust. After simple mods, tuning is very beneficial. Perhaps you'll only free up a few horsepower, maybe nothing significant... but hell, with the extra 5mpg I'm getting, I can save more money for mods!

The ECU will still have to be something other than the Accord or Prelude ECUs used... P06 for the F22 and P28 for the H22 work well. I believe it's possible to turn a P06 into a P28, even.

Comment

mine also did. I have a cai and when I had finally hooked up my wb it was never in the 14's at all. mostly in the 13.7's at idle and it would only get richer at wot.

everything is pretty much covered for tuning. well, kinda. you have to have knowledge(duh). you can have all those instruments and still wont be able to tune for shit.

like I said, my car just has a CAI and i have a chipped p06 and have been tuning my engine for the past few days. I havent got a chance to run it yet(i went to the track today but it was closed ), but I can def feel a difference. even if you dont FEEL a difference, you can definitely make a difference in your gas mileage. I ran my stock ecu and got about 23mpg in the city, and now Im runing my chipped ecu, im sure I can get it to the 25's in the city. i have about 200miles already and about 1/6 down from the full mark. my afrs are never dip below the 14's during cruising and normal driving. once I go wot, the richest it will get is about 13.8, and thats at the very top end. besides that, my afrs are between 14.3 and 16.5. big range, but hey, thats pretty good for only going off a wb. my idle is too lean tho, it sometimes goes to 17.21 :o

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

aww look at all the little tuners, i was actually starting a thread yesterday on the methods i used but i figured either a video or written enactment of this weekend's tuning session would be better. If you guys want i can just go through my routine for tuning a car from the time it pulls into my complex to the time it pulls out.

For the original question there are plenty of other options you can add to tuning session but for the average setup all you really need is of course the chipped ecu, 1 or 2 extra chips, datalogging cable or vacuum/boost gauge, wideband, chip burner, and a laptop.

The only thing there that you really need to decide on is if you want the datalogging cable or the boost gauge. I'm actually finding it easier to use the datalogging program when i fit uber, the wideband program, and the dataloggin program all on the monitor. The only useful things in the datalogging program are the water temp and the vac readings to me.
              Last edited by MRX; 06-30-2006, 04:15 PM.
              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                once I go wot, the richest it will get is about 13.8, and thats at the very top end.
                target atleast a 13.5. I tune my n/a cars to 13.0-13.3.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by MRX
                  target atleast a 13.5. I tune my n/a cars to 13.0-13.3.
                  at wot or all accross?

Comment

At WOT. The vac section target is of course 14.7

Comment

ok, you had me a lil confused there, lol.

Comment

what are the tuning capabilities of running a piggyback.....such as a VAFC? i have all of the minor mods done to my H22 and i was hoping to step up the efficiency and maybe some power with my VAFC
                        H22A Coupe For Sale!

Comment

There is one thing that hasnt been mentioned in which you cannot purchase enough of: Patience.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

hey im new to this, but i have a simple question;

i will be boosting my f22a1 soon, and if i buy an mrx ecu, i still need a chip burner if im gonna tune it using uberdata/wideband? does this mean i have to solder a new chip in everytime? thanks a lot!
                            1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

no, soldering required.

Comment

Working...
                              X