Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H23A1 Head Gasket Blues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23A1 Head Gasket Blues.

So this is a bit more of a rant than anything, but, here goes. I'm building an H23 for boost. I have about 98% of my parts to complete the project. I'm shopping for a headgasket. I was told i need to use a .050" thick gasket by the machine shop that built my motor. Reason being that, the block i started with had spun bearings. I didn't know the main bearing's were spun too. They were able to save the block, they just had to slightly move the centerline of the crank UP in order to use it. This obviously makes the pistons stick up just a wee bit past the deck at TDC.

This is the reason i need to run a thicker than OEM headgasket. I was told it wasn't a good idea to run a cometic headgasket, because supposedly they sucked for boosted hondas. This is why i never looked at them. I found out about SCE Copper Headgaskets and finally gave them a call today and found out that to get a custom gasket from them would be like close to $200.

Anyways, i give Cometic a call and they tell me, they don't even MAKE an H23A1 gasket. I have even tried Golden Eagle and they don't make one either. I'm just kinda pissed off and looking for suggestions on where i can go from here besides SCE. I really don't feel like dropping 200 dooleros on an effing Head Gasket.

SOMEONE !!!!! PLEASE!!!!

To use the sce head gaset, you have to have everything o ringed at the shop. i use a cometic in my turbo integra just fine.
    89 Acura Integra 1.6 LSt (Daddy's Boost Toy)
    94 Honda Accord 2.2 EX (Daily For Now)
    04 Chevy Suburban 5.3 LT (Kiddie Haulin Pimpness)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos325 View Post
      To use the sce head gaset, you have to have everything o ringed at the shop. i use a cometic in my turbo integra just fine.
      Yeah i know bout the o-ring deal. The $200 price i stated is because of the $158 base price for the gasket and $60 custom charge, because the H23A1 is not a normally stocked gasket it automatically gets hit with the $60 custom charge.

At this point i wouldn't mind going with Cometic. Only problem is, they don't even make a gasket for the H23A1. Kinda messed up, kinda ghey. That's why i'm looking for suggestions on what other gaskets i can use.

Comment

H22 gasket.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

i got my headgasket set (FEL-PRO) from advance autoparts for $156.

Comment

Originally posted by LoDollar92LX View Post
            H22 gasket.
            Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
            i got my headgasket set (FEL-PRO) from advance autoparts for $156.
            like i already said in my original post incase noone read it. I CAN'T USE OEM THICKNESS. IT NEEDS TO BE .050" THICK.

Comment

so use a cometic h22 gasket

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

Originally posted by LoDollar92LX View Post
                so use a cometic h22 gasket
                Duh i just thought of that lol. after i posted. then didnt get a chance to get back on till now. Thank you sir. i still need to find the thread bout where some oil passage need to be filled in what not. hmmmm

Comment

is your motor assembled already? cant just get a good stock block?

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                  11.68 @ 127mph
                  417whp/375wtq
                  Sold: 8/2016

Comment

How far out of the hole are the pistons going?

A simple fix would have been to cut the pistons down. At this point, have them open up the cylinder head (Make the pocket bigger to accomodate the pistons coming out of the hole) and run a stock gasket. The h22 gasket won't work 100% right as alot of the coolant passages are very different (I tried it already)

I had a similar problem and eventually went with a stock h23 gasket and clayed the piston and valve clearences and it was all just fine. Been running my setup for a good time now with no problems, making great power on and off boost (10.5:1 compression).

L8r
                    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                    01-01-2019

Comment

how much higher does the crank sit now?
                      spin city

Comment

Originally posted by Boost_Lee View Post
                        is your motor assembled already? cant just get a good stock block?
                        yes the shortblock is already sleeved and assembled and sitting at my house. So to get a new block now is outta the question.

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
                        How far out of the hole are the pistons going?

A simple fix would have been to cut the pistons down. At this point, have them open up the cylinder head (Make the pocket bigger to accomodate the pistons coming out of the hole) and run a stock gasket. The h22 gasket won't work 100% right as alot of the coolant passages are very different (I tried it already)

I had a similar problem and eventually went with a stock h23 gasket and clayed the piston and valve clearences and it was all just fine. Been running my setup for a good time now with no problems, making great power on and off boost (10.5:1 compression).

L8r
                        I don't have an exact measurement on how far out they are sticking up or how far the centerline was moved up. I'd have to contact them and find out. I had also thought about taking the head to a machine shop and have the chambers machined out just a bit. The only problem i have is, do i just have them open it up to 88mm to match the cylinder bore?

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
                        how much higher does the crank sit now?
                        They didn't need to move it up a LOT. just a tiny bit. Which is noticeable to the naked eye when the pistons are at TDC. It's very tiny. Can't even put a measurement to it. I'll try to post a pic so you guys can see.

Maybe i'm overthinking it and i can get away with just using an OEM headgasket and be fine. I just have so much money into this build that i don't want it all to go down the drain because of a headgasket. The machine shop is recommending using the thicker gasket. That's why i'm doing all this. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

picture as promised. LMK what you guys think. thanks.

Comment

I can't see your picture cuz I'm at work, but you can set the head on the block (No gasket) and turn the motor over to TDC, then use a feeler guage and measure how far (And even if) th head lifts off the block. Even my pistons came out of the hole a little bit because I had the block decked after the sleeve install, and I'm still running an oem headgasket with no problems.

The only way you will ever know for sure if everything is good is to clay the motor. I used play-doh that I got at walmart. You can check piston to valve and piston to head clearance.

L8r
                            Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                            01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
                              I can't see your picture cuz I'm at work, but you can set the head on the block (No gasket) and turn the motor over to TDC, then use a feeler guage and measure how far (And even if) th head lifts off the block. Even my pistons came out of the hole a little bit because I had the block decked after the sleeve install, and I'm still running an oem headgasket with no problems.

The only way you will ever know for sure if everything is good is to clay the motor. I used play-doh that I got at walmart. You can check piston to valve and piston to head clearance.

L8r

From my understanding, when claying a motor to check clearances, you have to use a gasket and basically assemble it (not torque down completely, but "pretorque", the head on to sorta compress the gasket) Am i right in thinking this way? That's the only way i can think of that would make the valves operate and what not.

Comment

Working...
                              X