Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

delta regrind and turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delta regrind and turbo?

I was always interested in the delta regrinds but im also thinking about a dsm set up. I dont want to say IM DOING it but i have bought a few of the more expensive peices. Now if i were to get a 272 regrind would it be benificial to make power to 6500 or would the turbo just run out of steam before that anyway. The turbo is a 14b, but what other turbo could i use?
    As always opinions, suggestions and rants are welcome.
    thanks guys-eric
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

That is too big of a cam to work well with a turbo for your set up. It would have too much overlap. I'm too lazy to elaborate right now so I'm sure someone else can. I would talk to them and see what kind of cam they could get you specifically for a turbo application.

Comment

ahh i see, i understand overlap, but i was wondering how higher rpm's and boost would do. Like high rpms with our motors are touchy subjects, so i was thinking high rpms and boost may not mix well. but it would be interesting to get a turbo spec cam to carry our powerband up to 6500, cause it sucks shifting at 5500- 6k.lol.

Comment

high rpm's + boost + f22 probably isn't the wisest idea. We have more displacement with limits our revs in the first place. Besides there would be way too much stress on the engine at redline with those components and no valvetrain work to sustain the pressure and forces. Trust me just shift around 5800. And ask delta to make a cam for you that is optimal in the 4200-5800 range. High revs aren't needed and you'll have bigger problems anyways.
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

eh.. i have a lil time so ill explain

delta cams are mostly for n/a applications.. the more Overlap in N/a applications to a certain extent the more power is increased throughout the powerband/higher rpms.. allowing u to take the car to 7k and still make power..

when ur turbocharged there is no need for this.. i confuse lift and duration.. but i believe its duration u want when it comes to a turbo car.. the more duration the cam has .. the more air can be forced/expelled .. and overlap (intake/exhaust valves are opening or closing in corresponding order with a set point where there both open) causes issues in most turbo appls..

this may have confused the fuck outta you.. im not too knowledgeable to explain entirely..

i know someone like ZIGEN will come in here and own valvetrain related topics.. so ill let someone come in..

but if u still want the cam.. get a turbo cam which delta can do.. and give it a powerband range of 3,500-6,000.. which is where ull be most of the time when trying to create power..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

yeah, im in that boat now, plan to remove my gude race cam

the main thing to think about on this subject is....back pressure.
            when turbocharging u want less back pressure as possible.
            a race cam or street cam mixed with a turbo set ups not healthy
            will cause more then normal backpressure.

so for me im deciding on pulling the cam, or releiving as much back pressure as i can, with a 3in exhaust system all the way thru.

still might pull the cam also
            NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

ok i'll explain in greater depth the overlap process. Overlap is as wikked said it is. It is the process of both the intake and exhaust valves being open at the same time. On n/a applications this is very helpful because of another process called exhaust scavenging. All motor cars rely solely on the up and down motion of the pistons to draw in and push out the air charges. With the intake valves open you can help the intake air charge gain velocity by slightly opening up the exhaust valves. Since the exhaust gases are being pushed out at this point by 2 other cylinders it creates a pressure that is sucking the exhaust gases towards the muffler. That pressure is what increases and brings in the intake charge faster. Now with turbo applications the air is obviously being forced into the cylinders. Well if you've got overlap and forced induction you now have most of your precious intake charge being sucked into the exhaust before it can ever be combusted. While the overlap process was happening your turbo would be pushing the air through the cylinders and right into the exhaust. Lift is the distance that the valves go into the combustion camber and duration is how long those valves stay open. Turbo cams should have as little overlap as possible, but more duration and more lift than stock cams. Hope this helped and someone correct me if i'm wrong.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

when i called delta, they told me that the 272 wouldn;t be as bad as u guys say for turbo application.....although its not the best, u just have to make sure everything is tuned just right...and what others have said...alieviate backpressure!

Comment

Originally posted by urbanrunner
                  when i called delta, they told me that the 272 wouldn;t be as bad as u guys say for turbo application.....although its not the best, u just have to make sure everything is tuned just right...and what others have said...alieviate backpressure!
                  did u ask them if they can make a cam with specs more suited for a turbo tho?

Comment

wow ive been missing this thread for a while. i just got my 1g manifold and t25 today with ZERO shaft play so im really excited.and mrx please talk to me on aim newskoolhippy i have a few ecu questions i need to talk to you about.thanks man-eric

Comment

Working...
                    X