Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Got a few issues, need some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a few issues, need some opinions

hey guys Im having a couple issues with the car, i noticed lately it has been running hotter. Even on cold nights the car still sees 210-220 all the time.

I did a couple 3rd gear WOT pulls at 19 psi on the highway the other day, and while on the highway it was all good at 195 or so. But about 30 seconds after i got off the highway it climbed to 230, i turned the heater on and tried to get it to drop but ended up turning the car off. Now this is a very cool night and no traffic after highway, still cruising at 30mph.

I have also once noticed that my coolant in the reservoir was boiling a little bit, and had actually overflowed and came out of the reservoir a bit. This is after some really really spirited driving.

Another thing i noticed last night i did a 3rd gear pull and at about 6000 rpm at full boost i heard like a misfire or a small back fire, i thought maybe a spark blow out? Not sure what it can be.

Any opinions are appreciated!
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

worst case scenario.. headgasket

fill your radiator with coolant.. do ur spirited driving.. let it do its overheat speal.. and when u finally get back to the crib.. and it cools down.. see if u can ADD more coolant.. if u can..ur burning it.. hence the higher temps...

burning it = leaking it into the combustion chamber

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

yea, any smoke?

thing ive done to help my temps are:

Redline water wetter + h20
      170 deg thermostat
      FAL fan kicks on at 200 degrees instead of stock temp

it was about 100 degrees at the last TX meet and I ran it hard in the twisties and the temp never got past 210-215.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
      11.68 @ 127mph
      417whp/375wtq
      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

how do you get your fans to kick on at a set temp?
        i'm having slight overheating prob's too

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

I think the reason why a lot of guys have overheating issues is because of the higher egts..excluding alek..
          Twokex ur running a log mani
          Gdoutflip had some overheating issues in the past also running a log manifold

As for setting the fan 2 kick on at lower temp..I believe lee can do it in hondata s300..

a cheap alternative would be a fan temp switch.. I've seen them sold by autoparts local to me..it gets spliced into the wiring and has a analog knob that adjusts the voltage the coolant temp sensor is sending out..thus making the car think its hotter than it is = fans come on early..some shiet like that.

Question alek. Does she heat up while idling at all?

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

I believe it will heat up while idling, once it gets to 210 tho the fan comes on and it usually goes back to around 200, i never had it go past 220 while just idling, but if im idling after a hard run, it will climb.

I think this test works to see if the HG is gone; open the rad cap and run the car, rev it slightly, if coolant shoots out than the HG is gone. I think if everything is ok it should just spill over slightly or not even come out at all.

Im not gonna drive it anymore, if its a HG i dont wanna risk fuckin up the motor - so until i figure it out im only gonna idle it.
            1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Comment

If it's not your h/g there are a few things you can do to try and lower the temp

-dei heat wrap your mani
              -get a lower temp thermostat
              -get a fan switch that kicks in at a lower temp
              -get better rad (I had overheating issues on my setup which was a dual core Yonaka half rad, I switched to a Fluidyne half rad and no more problems)
              -get a high performance Spal fan (again this made a huge difference in my setup, it's a really powerful fan)
              -add some cooling additives to your coolant

I did have overheating issues and I did all of the above and now I have no problems

SOLD!!
              Boosted H22
              375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Alright so i did a few things;

- Ran the car with the cap off, no bubbles, reved a bit, no bubbles.
                - Dry compression test, 9 cranks each, 200-200-195-200
                - No coolant in oil (from what i can see)
                - No oil or any black crap in the coolant reservoir
                - No sweet smell or smoke from exhaust at any rpm or any load

I changed the rad cap back to 1.1 mishimoto one and went for a drive, everything was great, cold night, no problems 190-215. 20 minute drive or so, no redline pulls, couple 12 psi pulls. I get home tho and pop the hood and the coolant in the reservoir is boiling a little bit....its above the MAX line. When i shut the car off it was at about 215. I wonder if i simply dont have enough coolant....or maybe a bubble?

When i popped my spark plugs the first 3 looked the same, but #4 was kinda white....here is pics, first pic is what the first 3 looked like and the other 2 are #4

1,2,3 all look normal:

#4 - looks white

Comment

did you do a coolant pressure test? id flush the coolant, refill with new coolant, bleed it, pressure test it, and see it you lose coolant if you lose coolant and you cant find a leak. most likely your head gasket. sucks to hear that you have problems your car is 1 of the meanest 1s on here. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

I think i simply didnt have enough coolant, today in the morning i was able to add more than half a quart of water to the rad itself, and there was almost nothing in the reservoir.

Only overheats when standing and idling now, but i got a 13" spal fan coming tomorrow!

Comment

How many miles on those plugs? It looks like you got some detonation going on dude. Which plugs are those?

And the white is due to that cylinder burning some oil. It would explain why that plug looks like it has the most detonation.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

about 1000 miles on the plugs, gapped to .028

1,2,3 look good, but cyl #4 is the one with the white stuff.

I took the car out for a rip tonight and i think something is fucked, once the boost is building and reaches 14-15psi the car just starts to backfire/misfire like crazy. It feels like the spark plugs are getting blown out....the car hesitates in 4th after 12 psi, and in 3rd just back fires like crazy under full throttle.

Could a cracked head gasket cause this? Maybe coolant mixing with combustion? Not going to the track this friday looks like ill be taking the head off

Comment

ive seen alot of that kind of misfiring due to, too large of a plug gap, or distributor issues, like a bad igniter.

i have fixed that issue twice by just regapping plugs. once to .20, the other to .18

id say try that first.

Comment

Wow thats tight, alright ill give that a shot, but the thing is 2 nights ago the car pulled great and held boost up to 19psi. But last night it does this....

I also noticed coolant bubbling a little bit in the reservoir I wonder if this can be caused by an air bubble in the system or insufficient coolant levels.

Comment

Originally posted by aleks77 View Post
                              Wow thats tight, alright ill give that a shot, but the thing is 2 nights ago the car pulled great and held boost up to 19psi. But last night it does this....

I also noticed coolant bubbling a little bit in the reservoir I wonder if this can be caused by an air bubble in the system or insufficient coolant levels.
                              Is it possible that you have a pinhole leak somewhere in the cooling system that is letting air into the radiator? Or perhaps at the bottom hose out of the radiator is. It's possible that the bubbling you are seeing is the coolant "simmering", just below a boiling level.

Have you air bled your cooling system?

Another thing, throw a thermometer in your radiator when it's bubbling and see what the actual coolant temp. is.

Comment

Working...
                              X