Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Best Bang for Buck Turbo - T3/T4 vs 14B vs T25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Bang for Buck Turbo - T3/T4 vs 14B vs T25?

What's the best bang for buck turbo? I know popular turbos on CB7's are T3/T4's, 14B's, and T25's. I need something that doesn't put crazy low end torque, my auto tranny won't be able to handle it. (yes I know auto and turbo is BAD but I'm too stupid to do a auto to manny swap)

Not planning to make crazy power, I would like 250 HP in the range.
    Engine is stock, what should I be upgrading for around 250 HP power?
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Ebay lol
    I would buy an ebay turbo kit tho, i've been considering it but im tight on money, if you do get it, you can just get a different turbo, BOV and wastegate...

Comment

your best bang for your buck is whatever you can find for a good price that is in decent condition.
      spin city

Comment

or a good junkyard turbo

Comment

if all you want is 250 then grab a simple dsm turbo setup.
          Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Best bang for the buck? - DSM.
            Forget about the T25 though, it's tiny.
            What's your goal 250 at the wheels? 14b is probably not going to be enough for that because you are an auto.
            if your goal is 250 at the crank, then either 14b or 16g at moderate psi+exhaust cut out
            Last edited by rexload; 02-20-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

If you're "too stupid" to do a manual swap, you're also probably "too stupid" to truly understand the proper way to turbo a car and do everything right.

You won't make 250 hp with an auto cheaply and reliably anyway.

Manual swap, then worry about turbo, otherwise you will be installing a new transmission soon, and then shortly thereafter, and then shortly thereafter.

But best bfb is dsm setup. Evo III Big 16g gets you there easily with a manual.
              2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
              2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Ah so let me get this straight DSM are 14B's and T3/T4's are new? T25 = bad. To find a good DSM setup do I just go to a junkyard and look for what car? Eclipse? Talon? What would I take from that car and roughly how much would it be to take everything that I need from a junkyard (estimate)?

Thanks guys.

Ebay kits break and destroy your engine according to others, pedroalcala. :P
                Current:
                2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
                1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
                1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Yes, you would be looking for a 1st generation Eclipse/Talon to find a 14b. However, it is not that easy to find one, especially one that hasn't been stripped. Check on ebay and craigslist, just make sure the seller isn't shady.

You CAN safely run a no-name ebay turbo/or a complete kit. BUT you have to be careful about what manifold design you choose (some of them are not reliable) AND you have to make sure the nut on the turbo is properly torqued and run an appropriate oil restrictor. And if you are running an ebay wastegate, you just have to be aware that the spring it comes with could be set for higher psi than what it says in the description(sometimes have to take it apart and cut the spring, but it only takes 15min)

In any case, whether you choose to run a 20year old DSM turbo, or a no-name ebay unit, you have to be smart about it and look everything over.... can't just slap it on.

ROUGHLY you are looking at ~$400+ for a complete turbo setup with DSM parts and an intercooler, depending on where you get the stuff from. Don't forget that you also need a custom downpipe and need engine management and tuning. If you shop around, a reliable setup can be had for around 1G, that's if your engine and clutch are in good shape and don't need anything.

An about the auto tranny, I agree with chessboxer. But if you really want to keep it auto, I would keep it under 200whp and change the tranny fluid a few times a year.
                  Last edited by rexload; 02-20-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

A T3 Super 60 .63 AR will make 250whp no problem, you can find them on the old Mustang 2.4L SVO. Another good option is the T3 .42/.48 from an old Volvo. Both turbos can be found for cheap at junkyards, even if it needs a rebuilt you can pick up a rebuild kit off of Ebay for around $50.

-Kyle
                    SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
                    -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

The good thing about DSM turbos is that (if you are really cheap lol) you can run dsm manifold which can be found for ~20 bucks, and it still flows relatively well.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Turbo702 View Post
                        A T3 Super 60 .63 AR will make 250whp no problem, you can find them on the old Mustang 2.4L SVO. Another good option is the T3 .42/.48 from an old Volvo. Both turbos can be found for cheap at junkyards, even if it needs a rebuilt you can pick up a rebuild kit off of Ebay for around $50.

-Kyle
                        It was a 2.3L but yeah, those are viable options as well. IMO nothing is as easy as the dsm route, but buy a new evo III Big 16G, don't risk running something old, even if you think you can rebuild it.

But good luck finding one in a junkyard anywhere to the OP. Damn near impossible. I remember looking when I had my Merkur and I couldn't find them ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chessboxer View Post
                          It was a 2.3L but yeah, those are viable options as well. IMO nothing is as easy as the dsm route, but buy a new evo III Big 16G, don't risk running something old, even if you think you can rebuild it.

But good luck finding one in a junkyard anywhere to the OP. Damn near impossible. I remember looking when I had my Merkur and I couldn't find them ever.
                          where can we find a new EVOIII big 16g anyhow? I checked ebay but i am weary about ebay stuff......

Rip It Up
                          Sold to: nightime25, MyDianaz06, Accord214 and 408cb7

Bought from:Rob_is_Legend, MonoCB7, Fatboy1185, Flatline and busak87

i vouch for my Brothas

Comment

Ugh, I was gonna get a full Big 16G turbo setup for 150 bucks, then the kid decided to try to repair the car rather than sell me the turbo. Then he realized the engine had some bad problems so he sold it anyway. He still has the DSM manifold he'll give me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Extacee View Post
                              where can we find a new EVOIII big 16g anyhow? I checked ebay but i am weary about ebay stuff......
                              any of the big name dsm sites have them. Mine is from slowboy racing.

Comment

Working...
                              X