Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Ebay Turbo Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay Turbo Kit

I know Ebay Generic Parts brake but would this be a good starter setup? I think i would replace a few things but i just want to know if it would be worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDMS-...ht_5910wt_1010

For the price of that eBay kit you could put together a nice DSM setup and actually have some quality control.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
    I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
      For the price of that eBay kit you could put together a nice DSM setup and actually have some quality control.
      Ive read just a little bit about turbos but the DSM kit dont you have to drill another hole or something like that for it to bolt up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgian View Post
        I know Ebay Generic Parts brake but would this be a good starter setup? I think i would replace a few things but i just want to know if it would be worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDMS-...ht_5910wt_1010
        minus the actual turbo, waste gate and bov...and you have a good kit
        New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
        tsx retrofit
        f22b dohc boosted
        custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Ive read just a little bit about turbos but the DSM kit dont you have to drill another hole or something like that for it to bolt up?
          You just have to make the holes a bit bigger on the manifold.

Member's Ride Thread

I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
            minus the actual turbo, waste gate and bov...and you have a good kit

im looking around, i want a good reliable turbo setup on low boost pushing maybe 210-220 hp. i dont think im asking for much hah.

Comment

e bay does not make a turbo kit. they sell cheap Chinese kits for cheap. but believe it or not they are a nice starting point. the turbo cases are a little on the crapy side but if you stay under the recommended 10psi. they will last and work well. the only thing that goes wrong is the tube exhaust manni will crack with out warning so make sure you get the cast manni. also after GOOD use or about 2 years of mild use you will get a bit of shaft play, BUT believe it or not you can send your old crappy Chinese turbo to turbonetics and they will rebuild the turbo internals with quality part for roughly 250 plus shipping. (thats what i did and my old boosted cb7 had a cheap ebay kit and i ran a 197hp at 7lbs. with 272 cam and a mild build, and a 210hp with the rebuilt turbo at 9lbs.)

but i also agree with what was said earlyer. for a bit cheaper you can part a first or second gen eclipse kit that will work a little better.

good luck!
              Last edited by cb7_with_snail; 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

im looking around, i want a good reliable turbo setup on low boost pushing maybe 210-220 hp. i dont think im asking for much hah.
                Here's a useful PDF for a DSM setup.
                http://home.comcast.net/~ndd3d/TurboInstall.pdf

It has a parts list in it as well as installation instructions specific for the DSM parts.

If nothing else the parts list is a nice reference tool.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

lol i was looking all over for that thread, ya beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                    e bay does not make a turbo kit. they sell cheap Chinese kits for cheap. but believe it or not they are a nice starting point. the turbo cases are a little on the crapy side but if you stay under the recommended 10psi. they will last and work well. the only thing that goes wrong is the tube exhaust manni will crack with out warning so make sure you get the cast manni. also after GOOD use or about 2 years of mild use you will get a bit of shaft play, BUT believe it or not you can send your old crappy Chinese turbo to turbonetics and they will rebuild the turbo internals with quality part for roughly 250 plus shipping. (thats what i did and my old boosted cb7 had a cheap ebay kit and i ran a 197hp at 7lbs. with 272 cam and a mild build, and a 210hp with the rebuilt turbo at 9lbs.)

but i also agree with what was said earlyer. for a bit cheaper you can part a first or second gen eclipse kit that will work a little better.

good luck!
                    that sounds perfect for me haha id only be running 6-8 lbs. ill start maybe with the ebay shit then upgrade later. ill look into the DSM setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                      Here's a useful PDF for a DSM setup.
                      http://home.comcast.net/~ndd3d/TurboInstall.pdf

It has a parts list in it as well as installation instructions specific for the DSM parts.

If nothing else the parts list is a nice reference tool.
                      Thank you man! Great start thanks

Comment

yeah we know you are not asking for much..We all concerned as a cb community and we don't want anyone hurting themselves even if it is for a little boost...that is all it takes to cause lots of problems..Factory made or reputable company are always the best way to go, when it concerns mechanical engine components (pistons, etc.s). Just becareful with parts like these. Even though we all know that EBAY doesn't actually made the parts. It is the individual who make the parts without concern of human condition and sell it on EBAY giving them a bad name.

If you had caught me earlier, I had a Garret t3 for sale which you could have gotten the little boost you wanted...Be warned..Once you boost once you will want to raise it.
                        New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
                        tsx retrofit
                        f22b dohc boosted
                        custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
                          yeah we know you are not asking for much..We all concerned as a cb community and we don't want anyone hurting themselves even if it is for a little boost...that is all it takes to cause lots of problems..Factory made or reputable company are always the best way to go, when it concerns mechanical engine components (pistons, etc.s). Just becareful with parts like these. Even though we all know that EBAY doesn't actually made the parts. It is the individual who make the parts without concern of human condition and sell it on EBAY giving them a bad name.

If you had caught me earlier, I had a Garret t3 for sale which you could have gotten the little boost you wanted...Be warned..Once you boost once you will want to raise it.
                          Haha i have a while to decide before i boost. Ill probably upgrade my suspension, tires, and brakes before though. But im pretty certain i want forced induction. I have plenty of time to research before hand.

Comment

Haha i have a while to decide before i boost. Ill probably upgrade my suspension, tires, and brakes before though. But im pretty certain i want forced induction. I have plenty of time to research before hand.
                            most important over anything make sure you get a quality set up. no ebay. DONT cut your springs. go to weksos and get fuction and forms. free shipping good quality and cheaper.

Comment

Dude this has been discussed many times... it's all over the internet...

"ebay" turbo kits do work fine. but there is always some fine tuning that you have to do in order to get the cheap parts to work correctly. Also don't expect it to perform as well as quality parts after thousands of miles of abuse.

Don't expect to be able to just throw a chinese turbo kit on your car and be ready for a dyno tune. The turbo will have to be inspected and retorqued properly, a proper oil restrictor will need to be installed. The wastegate spring will more than likely not be the PSI that it is supposed to be. The BOV spring will more than likely be too stiff. And the manifold studs will more than likely be completely useless and will have to be replaced. And sometimes cheap hardware just snaps, like the cheap T-clamps, etc.

Is it worth it? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

If you are building a car that you want to run trouble-free for years, then it definitely not worth it wasting time and money on shitty parts.

If you understand the fine-tuning that needs to be done with these cheap parts.. AND if you aren't building your car with reliability in mind and you like to fix it all the time, then hell yeah, it is worth it!
                              Last edited by rexload; 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X