Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Expected horsepower on stock sleeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
    Would a block guard help in this situation or are they wastes of money?
    Lol I have had to hammer out pistons out of blocks that had block guards installed after they ran one for a while. They definitely do warp the cylinder walls and will cause major problems with ring seal as well damage to pistons.

I do agree with a good set of Forged pistons and steel rods the f22 can support a good amount of power with stock sleeves. I do recommend to stay around 300whp with a very good tune being that cylinder pressures do get pretty high and can crack a sleeve with a bit of detonation.

You can get away with more WHP like many have already said but of course it will come down to how well your car is tuned, how you drive and maintain your setup.

My opinion just sleeve up the block and turn up the boost

Comment

i dont understand, i've had a block guard for about 4yrs now without any of those problems. and i abuse the hell out of mine sometimes, i mean like taking it to the track and snatching 2nd at 8k. never had any problem with piston failure ect.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
        i dont understand, i've had a block guard for about 4yrs now without any of those problems. and i abuse the hell out of mine sometimes, i mean like taking it to the track and snatching 2nd at 8k. never had any problem with piston failure ect.
        You are very lucky my friend I have torn many motors apart built by differnt people to see this very same problem. I hope you don't have that problem

Comment

alot of it is from using cheap ebay ones. plus we bored mine with the brace in place.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

turbo set up

I am actually doing a build, well the research part right now. i have a spare f22a6 that I'm building. found out the sleeving is a grand and thats alot of mula. i dont plan on going over 300 hp. yet. but i take it the stock sleevs are iron? and if one were to choose to get the steel pistons and rods would that rreally reduce the risk of the damage possible while running stock sleevs?
            Accord SE

93se
            Members Ride
            Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
            Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
              I am actually doing a build, well the research part right now. i have a spare f22a6 that I'm building. found out the sleeving is a grand and thats alot of mula. i dont plan on going over 300 hp. yet. but i take it the stock sleevs are iron? and if one were to choose to get the steel pistons and rods would that rreally reduce the risk of the damage possible while running stock sleevs?
              Yes its a lot of money. But pistons and con rods etc and a bore/hone for your new oversize pistons 85.5 mm or larger will cost you around a grand anyways...

Just save up and sleeve it. Once you sleeve it, you'll pretty much have a block you can use over and over again if nothing horrible goes wrong that is

Using steel rods and pistons wont reduce anything... stock pistons are cast steel, as well as the rods. Forged rods and pistons are also steel, but much stronger and can handle more boost. Meaning an aftermarket rotating assembly will handle a lot more than the stock sleeves.

Just sleeve it bra
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Installing a turbo and planning to tune later is kinda like having sex and planning to put the condom on afterward.

Comment

Lokk guy. Point blank you can boost on stock sleaves.
                #1. Don't go over 10lbs
                #2. Don't expect a lambo killer
                #3. Keep it between 170-230 hp.

When ur done and get usedto that power sleave it. Build it. Boost it. Ull have the up wards of 400 hp. Till then stck with the small snail
                Last edited by cb7_with_snail; 06-05-2011, 07:51 AM.

Comment

stock pistons are aluminum

stock sleeves can hold plenty of power reliably if you dont abuse it. more than 300 and you will have a car that sucks to drive on the street anyway. unless the bragging rights are worth putting up with the wheelspin

Comment

I don't think they will hold 300...and if so not for long...but ill tell ya I agree 300 on a street car would tip the iceburg of hard to control. But I wouldn't mind a 500 hp accord

Comment

they would hold 300. the stock pistons would as well, but they would give in time. the stock sleeves should be fine at 300, provided everything else is in good condition and set up properly. sleeving is never a bad idea, but at a streetable level theres really no need.

id love 500. even 600. i know of a few 600hp cbs. or at least cars that are capable of it. the bragging rights are awesome for sure, but youd have a hell of a time putting that much power down to the ground with the front wheels. youd spend all your time controlling wheelspin rather than enjoying your car

Comment

Originally posted by PG92LX View Post
                        they would hold 300. the stock pistons would as well, but they would give in time. the stock sleeves should be fine at 300, provided everything else is in good condition and set up properly. sleeving is never a bad idea, but at a streetable level theres really no need.

id love 500. even 600. i know of a few 600hp cbs. or at least cars that are capable of it. the bragging rights are awesome for sure, but youd have a hell of a time putting that much power down to the ground with the front wheels. youd spend all your time controlling wheelspin rather than enjoying your car
                        True id rather have a 3ooHP dd than a 6ooHP cb id see only in the summer on drag weekends

Comment

if i'm making 600hp, i want it to go to the rear wheels. or all wheels. that much power fwd would be annoying unless i wanted to set some sort of fwd record, which doesnt interest me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PG92LX View Post
                            word. thats kinda what ive gathered, however i dont think ill be going with stock pistons and rods tho. but maybe during the time of getting everything together ill get it sleeved. i mean i dont really want to go over 300, this is going to be a dd for a while and im just looking to make it funner, nicer and sleepy.
                            Accord SE

93se
                            Members Ride
                            Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak

Comment

you can run forged rods and pistons on stock sleeves. though a good strong aftermarket sleeve job could never hurt.

Comment

whats the max bore one would run on a sleeved block?
                                Accord SE

93se
                                Members Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X