Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Questions

ENGINE
    F22A
    H23 Intake Manifold
    DSM 450cc Injectors BLUE TOP
    Tial Wastegate
    HKS BOV

By any chance is there a top mount intercooler i can mount in a CB bay(SLEEPER STATUS)
    (i wanna make it as if the car was factory)
    IM NOT GOOD WITH WELDING-AND MAKING CUSTOM PARTS

TEAM MOST HATED

How will you get fresh air to a top mount intercooler? Hood scoop??

If you really want sleeper you could paint the intercooler black? or get a air to water style intercooler, which would be more expensive and complicated but would leave the car looking stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
      How will you get fresh air to a top mount intercooler? Hood scoop??

If you really want sleeper you could paint the intercooler black? or get a air to water style intercooler, which would be more expensive and complicated but would leave the car looking stock.
      i was going to do a hood tilt with custom vents on the passenger side for the intercooler

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

Run a side mount like a dsm comes factory.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
          Run a side mount like a dsm comes factory.
          i thought about that too but i would have to run custom piping

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

I came Across this Cb while i was doing research but no measurements on the intercooler

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

like cincy90h22 top mount but i want it to be more flush like the picture above

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

Heat is your enemy with a turbo, unless you plan to install a hood scoop like a wrx to force air onto the intercooler I would go with a FMIC or air to water setup.

You might as well not use a intercooler at all if your going to mount it like those pictures IMO. Even if you mounted a fan onto the intercooler you would just be circulating hot underhood air through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
                  Heat is your enemy with a turbo, unless you plan to install a hood scoop like a wrx to force air onto the intercooler I would go with a FMIC or air to water setup.

You might as well not use a intercooler at all if your going to mount it like those pictures IMO. Even if you mounted a fan onto the intercooler you would just be circulating hot underhood air through it.
                  What about a after marker hood with the hood vents for example the hood on the supra on fast n the furious just an example

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

here is what i think about this....with a suby,the set up is completly different as to our l4 engines.the boxer suby motor design is like this,the intercooler is no where near anything in the bay that produces a lot of heat for instance.the maniflold for the turbo.the manifolds are almost on the botom of the car where heat escapes and bay temps are low.in our l4 engines the manifold is right in front where the most heat comes from.now with the car in motion the heat is pushed up and down so it would eaither hit the intercooler and heat it up or go out the bottom.in subys it a win win..the cool air comes in the scoop cools the intercooler the cools the motor some aswell as help the exhaust temps out the bottom of the car so it doesnt back up in the bay and heat soak the intercooler..in our cars the heat dosent escape as easy as the subys.but a front mount on anything is prob ur best bet.just dont get a massive sized one unless you need it.

itook this from my comment on a older thread.same concept no matter what car its from with a top mount.the side mount from a dsm were the batt goes is a better design tho but still in a heat soaked bay.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                      here is what i think about this....with a suby,the set up is completly different as to our l4 engines.the boxer suby motor design is like this,the intercooler is no where near anything in the bay that produces a lot of heat for instance.the maniflold for the turbo.the manifolds are almost on the botom of the car where heat escapes and bay temps are low.in our l4 engines the manifold is right in front where the most heat comes from.now with the car in motion the heat is pushed up and down so it would eaither hit the intercooler and heat it up or go out the bottom.in subys it a win win..the cool air comes in the scoop cools the intercooler the cools the motor some aswell as help the exhaust temps out the bottom of the car so it doesnt back up in the bay and heat soak the intercooler..in our cars the heat dosent escape as easy as the subys.but a front mount on anything is prob ur best bet.just dont get a massive sized one unless you need it.

itook this from my comment on a older thread.same concept no matter what car its from with a top mount.the side mount from a dsm were the batt goes is a better design tho but still in a heat soaked bay.
                      you do make a point i just wasn't trying to make a custom piping to fit a FMIC, i wasn't gonna run hi boost i was thinking 7-10psi but if i do have to run a FMIC then im going to have to throw some more Cash

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

Intercooler isn't going to happen, just like boost isnt going to happen, without some custom work done.

The pics you posted, the black intercooler is a DSM intercooler. You could easily cut a hole (like people do for cold air intake) and route charge pipes to an intercooler tucked away in the fender well-Just like an OEM dsm.

The pipes actually route the exact same way on a factory dsm. The battery is farther from the headlight on a DSM, and the airbox sits were our battery is now.

A 1g side mount is better than a 2g. And a supra side mount will work too, but you'll need to mod it. Use a 1g side mount.

I have like 6 of these laying around my garage. You could even re-use the functioning air damn(oem dsm part) to route air to the intercooler from the bumper(more custom work).
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          Intercooler isn't going to happen, just like boost isnt going to happen, without some custom work done.

The pics you posted, the black intercooler is a DSM intercooler. You could easily cut a hole (like people do for cold air intake) and route charge pipes to an intercooler tucked away in the fender well-Just like an OEM dsm.

The pipes actually route the exact same way on a factory dsm. The battery is farther from the headlight on a DSM, and the airbox sits were our battery is now.

A 1g side mount is better than a 2g. And a supra side mount will work too, but you'll need to mod it. Use a 1g side mount.

I have like 6 of these laying around my garage. You could even re-use the functioning air damn(oem dsm part) to route air to the intercooler from the bumper(more custom work).
                          thats what i was thinking i was going to place it downward as in an agle and make a sheet metal case, run the pipe to the side of the Bumper as a Ram Horn intake (when theres a will theres a way )

TEAM MOST HATED

Comment

You can still get a sleeper look with a front mount just run it blacked out with black charge piping an don't cut up your bumper cover. Honestly you are looking at about the same amount of work either way.
                            My OLD Members Ride Thread

Comment

Yeah and doing a top to bottom intercooler keeps the inlet and outlet on the same side, which would make fab work a lot easier.

I would go the dsm route. The td05h assemblies have so many interchangeable parts that you can easily build a turbo to do basically anything you want.

Pair that with the easy to find 2g manifolds and the DSM route is the way to go for boost(in my opinion) for a cb7.

Unless, you are going for the "look"

And even to pull the look off, you could just polish a factory dsm heatshield and that looks pretty sharp!

DSM's also use flexible charge pipes, kind of like a radiator hose. You could try to use something like that to avoid a bunch of fabrication work.

Just sayin. I wouldn't, but it COULD be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X