Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Another High comp + Boost thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your going for 300 whp goal why not just go NA and build a far more reliable engine. And not have to worry about boost leaks and what not. The compressor ratio your going for is far to high for a boosted engine. You can try it but I bet it won't last very long.

Comment

Ethanol is pretty close to race fuel, it has some interesting characteristics. So external compression is easier for the engine to handle rather than the engine doing the compression during that particular stroke. I'll call Bisi tomorrow and see what he thinks about the aggressiveness of the timing, detonation and etc.

KeeleDesign airflow numbers does sound like a more appropriate measure of forced induction

Andrew22888: What's your reason that you think the ratio is too high? Why wouldn't it last?

wed3k: You speak of flat top pistons, and you actually just sold some high comp pistons I think. Is there a big difference in turbo pistons and N/A pistons.

The question about head flow and porting/polishing for forced induction, does it ease flow of air similar to what it does with an N/A engine or are the results negligible?
      Last edited by sonikaccord; 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

you know what, you seem pretty set on what you wanna do. go fot it and let us know how it works. good luck and look forward for results.

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
        My Ride thread
        Flickr
        Originally posted by d112crzy
        And it can only get better. That's the best part.
        All I gotta really say is:
        People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

I'm looking for open discussion, I haven't made a decision on what I want to do yet. I will pick up some engine design books and pick more people's brains before I buy anything related to this thread. I can keep this thread updated though, might be a cool little paper project lol

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Ethanol is pretty close to race fuel, it has some interesting characteristics. So external compression is easier for the engine to handle rather than the engine doing the compression during that particular stroke. I'll call Bisi tomorrow and see what he thinks about the aggressiveness of the timing, detonation and etc.

KeeleDesign airflow numbers does sound like a more appropriate measure of forced induction

Andrew22888: What's your reason that you think the ratio is too high? Why wouldn't it last?

wed3k: You speak of flat top pistons, and you actually just sold some high comp pistons I think. Is there a big difference in turbo pistons and N/A pistons.

The question about head flow and porting/polishing for forced induction, does it ease flow of air similar to what it does with an N/A engine or are the results negligible?
            yea about 3 points of compression lol.

like i said, flat tops are best for quench as well but hondas run well with 12:1's so a dome is needed.

porting/polishing eliminates a lot of turbulence in the ports. id still highly focus on the exhaust side of the f22a ports. the intake are already cast pretty well, just smooth out the casting and youll be good. ive came across stainless oversized valves that still fit on the stock seat. valve job and bowl work is crucial.

i do a lot of work on heads with minor port work on the exhaust, around the guide, performance valve job and people are always happy.

with forced air, anything on the intake side isn't necessary but it helps. more volume improves throttle response.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
              If your going for 300 whp goal why not just go NA and build a far more reliable engine. And not have to worry about boost leaks and what not. The compressor ratio your going for is far to high for a boosted engine. You can try it but I bet it won't last very long.
              Incorrect. Boost puts less stress on a motor than a n/a that's has to rev higher.

300whp could easily be obtained on a motor with a big 16g, a small intercooler,mls head gasket, forged rods and pistons. 640cc injectors, 190lph fuel pump, and a decent tune.

High compression and supercharged and turbocharged all on the same engine is nothing new. Companies have experimented with this for years.
              Their are tons of books on this topic.
              In the end knock will be your enemy.
              You may add 2 points of compression above 10:1 in doing so you may have to retard your timing.
              A decent tune yields around 9-13hp per point of timing added in a specific rpm it has been added too.
              1 point of compression yields around 10 hp per all rpms at all times.

Now to add 12:1 compression you have to retard your timing up to 5-7 degrees across the board after the onset of boost. This is a very conservative assessment too.
              So you basically are sacrificing a potential 91hp with the onset of boost, so you can have an extra 20hp from beginning to the end of your rpm range.
              water/meth injection will only combat so much. And the cost to run this setup would be ridiculous when lowering your compression would yield higher hp #'s on lower grade fuel without the fear of one thing not working, destroying your engine.

I've been where you are. I wanted it to work so bad, but you don't need to build this around a specific set of pistons you already have. It's not logical or affordable. Sell those pistons and grab a nice set of turbo pistons of 9:5:1. And yes the design charectoristics of na pistons vs turbo pistons are very different, not just in how they are shaped and made, but the positioning of the ringlands for a higher boost situation.
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

This may be off topic but I still started this thread.

I'm seeing these technologies that use a turbocharged engine to modify an engines characteristics. Essentially the turbo is telling the engine how it should breathe.

Could a VGT/VNT style turbo be used to maintain optimal efficiency for the turbo by changing the A/R ratio to match the intended power level WHILE extending the power band by increasing the boost in proportion to the torque fall off at the end of the powerband to try to keep the torque constant?

Let's assume we have the control electronics to pull this off for now. This is completely theoretical.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

if it were me i'd stay in the 10:1 range and no higher than 10.5:1.
                  this is a thought.....

F22Ax head budget ported and milled .005"
                  bisimoto 1.2 turbo cam
                  valvesprings with oem retainers
                  F23Ax block bored 1mm over
                  RaceEng F23 rods
                  K24A2 JE 10:1 pistons (10.5:1 in the f23 with .005" off the head)
                  ARP head studs
                  precision 5858 turbo
                  BRM H23 ram horn turbo manifold
                  3" exhaust
                  1000cc injectors
                  walbro 255
                  hondata s300
                  hondata pwm boost contol
                  M2B4/T2W4 with accord 4.062 final drive
                  should be 400-425whp on 16-17psi and run mid to high 11's on slicks with with a good suspension in a 2700lbs cb7.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

That sounds like a good setup! Not too much power, but enough to get around a bit .

I'm all about drive ability, I'd take smoothness and predictability over max power. I guess I should start a new thread about my last post...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                    X