Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

SERIOUSLY considering going turbo. Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SERIOUSLY considering going turbo. Questions...

Here's my plan...I wanna go with a light pressure (7-8psi) system and work around that to make power; i.e. through opening up the exhaust, custom cams, and extensive tuning. My goals are 200whp@6000rpm and an even 12.3+.3 A/F ratio across the board. I've been looking and seeing that turbos are not that expensive if I go used...here's my tentative parts list:

- T25/T28 turbo, $375 new
    - 2g manifold, $100-$375 used/new
    - Random side mount intercooler, $100ish used
    - Pipes & oil lines, prob. another $200 or so
    - BOV, $100-200 used
    - 3" exhaust, $150 or so
    - Gauges, $200 or so
    - Oil cooler?

So basically I'd be putting up about $1500 + tuning time which I would either do on the road or just buy someone's map and plug in. Here are my questions though:

- What turbos fit on the DSM manifold flanges? From what I understand the T25/T28, 14B, 16G and 20G all fit, right?
    - Are used turbos safe, or should I just go new?
    - Can we use aftermarket and EVO VIII manifolds as well?
    - What can I do about the front mount?
    - Are there a lot of basemaps available?
    - Is the actual install hard? I imagine the pre-tuning steps are something like putting a new header in, installing the tapped oil pan, and connecting all the pipes...maybe changing the front mount as well, right? The actual install is nothing crazy is it?

I'm just trying to get all these questions answered so I can start ordering parts...I'm gonna be free during August so I want to get it on and tune it then. I have 94K miles on it so I think it's ripe for the charging...anyways let me know any answers you have because I really want to do this.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

I would get the turbo inspected before putting it on by a reputable shop. you can get the evo 8 intercooler to fit ive seen it doe on a civic. You just have to fab up the piping. I would take it to drt in n ewyork to get it tuned depending on what you wanna get out of it

Comment

do not go t25 or t28, go witha t-3 with a 48 trim, that way since it has a t-3 flanger u can upgrade alot easier

Comment

Honestly the single hardest part of MY install was thinking out and installing the pipes for the intercooler. (3 or 4 hours). The next hardest was getting the oil pan off, lol. other than that its just bolt on parts and simple fabrication of new parts. what oil lines are you using???

Comment

ok so to start, the intercooler, guages, BOV, and manifold are not going to cost that much, and i think your gonna end up spending more for the exhuast.
          you also forgot to count the price of an ecu.

and to be honest you don't even really need an oil cooler.

1. all those turbo's will fit onto the manifold. the only other ones that i know of are hybrids but thats getting a little more complicated.
          2. Used turbo's are fine just make sure that the fins and shaft are in good condition, if there not you may have to rebuild it.
          3. yes the evo 8 manifold will bolt up with some slight modifications just like the regular dsm.
          4. Its not actually an engine mount its a torque strap, it just stops the engine from moving so much. It does need to be removed, some people have found ways to replace it. Me and eric just left it alone and its still fine.
          5. The only good basemap i know of is midnites.
          6. There's a lot more to the install than you listed but its not difficult. the most time consuming part of the whole process is waiting for the JB weld to dry and desinging how the charge pipes should run.

-Val

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by urbanrunner
            do not go t25 or t28, go witha t-3 with a 48 trim, that way since it has a t-3 flanger u can upgrade alot easier
            yeah but then you can't use the DSM manifold and you need to go custom which will cost a lot more money.

there are plenty of big turbos you can upgrade to on the dsm manifold.

-val

Comment

and plus yo better be on top of shit like your oil and water checkin up on it every 2 days just to be safe better safe than sorry. the exhaust doesnt cost shit out here to make val hes up in newyork and exhaust out here 2,5 is 75 bucks i got the hookup.

Comment

Alright so everything used will cost less and it's all good...cool. I'm thinking of going with a slightly bigger turbo, maybe the 16G; but probably not. And as far as the ECU and oilpan go, Accord ECU's are prob. dirt cheap, and I dunno about the JB weld...I might get something machined and welded. Other than that it really looks straightforward to me...now it's just a matter of actually getting the parts together. I'll keep you guys posted.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                  Alright so everything used will cost less and it's all good...cool. I'm thinking of going with a slightly bigger turbo, maybe the 16G; but probably not. And as far as the ECU and oilpan go, Accord ECU's are prob. dirt cheap, and I dunno about the JB weld...I might get something machined and welded. Other than that it really looks straightforward to me...now it's just a matter of actually getting the parts together. I'll keep you guys posted.
                  you cant use an accord ECU

Comment

i can tell you havent been paying attention at all about boosting your car. UHH R33 make sure you give him the complete rundown on boostage. Id hate to run him and fly into a wall lookin back like wtf happened whered he go back there.

Comment

Ah hmm I guess that changes things...that's minor anyway I have time.

Comment

all info out there is needed. The most time consuming part of my install has been charge pipes. Not too hard, just forever to cut them up and fit them. I'm still one piece short... gonna try to get it tomorrow morning. Your forgetting sprak plugs, all couplings, injectors, the RIGHT ecu, you prob need a chip burner, downpipe, and such. You need to do some more research/thinking.
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

wait, whats the JBweld for? and val, what ecu does ur set up come with?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

street tune, man do some research theres multiple write ups about tuning on the street versus a dyno. if you want to really tune it take it to a dyno

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by jdmcord
                              wait, whats the JBweld for? and val, what ecu does ur set up come with?
                              Some people used the jb Weld for when they drill the oil pan and run the oil lines. it holds the connectors in place and prevents it form leaking. there are better ways to do that but JB weld works wonders for our homemade turbo kits.

and as for ECU's i beleive you can use any older civic or integra ECU, but your much better off asking R33 or some of the other guys on this site about the ECU stuff.

-Val
                              "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                              - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X