Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo Problem. Turbine Don't Spin freely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Problem. Turbine Don't Spin freely

hey people.

i just finished my turbo project on sunday 24th,2005. everything was good.......except for one thing.......the turbo. the turbine doesn't spin freely. Sometime it spin when car is on idle and sometime it doesn't. It'll start spinnin when i gas it. Took it for a drive and its shows that it was boosting at 5 psi. I figure its a bad turbo.....but hey......let me ask the expert. any help would be great. Especially on helping me get a good working turbo for a nice price. . Or even trade for some brembo rotors.

check your exhaust manifold for leaks...sounds like some air might be escaping and not making it to the turbine housing

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

i've seen it before, what kind of turbo is it?
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

mines like that too! but it works fine and boost fine tho. but i need to do a rebuild cause one seal is slightly leaking oil.

Comment

Maybe the bearings? Do you have pics?

WaC!

Comment

i was having a lil problem with the mani but i had some help mounting it in. everything is good. Theres plenty of hot air coming out if the hot side, i currently have not down pipe connected. possibly bad bearings. oh its a T3 .48 internal wastegate. current boost = 5 psi.
            Last edited by khmer504x; 07-25-2005, 06:36 PM.

Comment

oh hey.... is the turbine suppose to be spinning when im on idle? man i was soo scared to punch it cuss i was running with no downpipe.....that thang was loud as hell.

Comment

see my turbo is the same way.... wen its idlin at 600-700rpms sumtime it stop spinnin, but thats mainly cause its so fukin big.... as soon as i touch the throttle it starts up again, so if its a larger turbo its normals as it takes more exhaust flow to spin it, but if its a T3 like you said, it should still e spinnin.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChroNicBoosT
                  see my turbo is the same way.... wen its idlin at 600-700rpms sumtime it stop spinnin, but thats mainly cause its so fukin big.... as soon as i touch the throttle it starts up again, so if its a larger turbo its normals as it takes more exhaust flow to spin it, but if its a T3 like you said, it should still e spinnin.....
                  so the problem is bad turbo with old parts???

Comment

Originally posted by khmer504x
                    so the problem is bad turbo with old parts???
                    I agree. Most T3's spin on the idle. If you T3 is not spinning you have some serious problems. I say soon it will be time for you to replace that turbo.

Comment

Sounds like you have a bad turbo, I would take off your air filter and simply check the shaft play, and see if any fins touch the turbine.
                      ricers make baby jesus cry

Comment

yea.....i figure......man dis sucks.....i've been hunting for a bargin turbo for the past day. sigh........

Comment

I bought a brandnew T3 Super 80 for my Chevy V8
                          It sometimes creeps or stays still when @ cold idle.
                          When it is warmed up it spins very slow, but even then it stops sometimes.
                          I don't worry about it...........
                          I only worry about my 80 psi oil pressure. But hey, it doesn't leak (yet)
                          I'd say it is normal.
                          No Honda There will be one eventually...
                          1996 Volvo 960 2.5i 24v autotragic

Comment

i'd say its normal too unless you see or smell oil burning. If you want it to spin then you should have got a ball bearing ya know.
                            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

some turbos do not spool when at low ideal rpms. if its boosting okay and not a major oil leak it should be fine.

as soon as you give it slight gas tho it should start to spin.

Comment

Working...
                              X