Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

WHO has a turbo set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHO has a turbo set up

I always hear people talkign about thee parts here and there now i want to talk to someone who has a turbo f22a1! someone with experience and who knnows what to do so if you have a f22a1 turbo setup please tell me a little bit about the lag, the money, the parts, and your engine life thank you.
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

I can tell you a little about turboes the lag can come from either the heat from the turbo with no intercooler making the dial in for the turbo to run more efficeintly in other words the cooler you keep the turbo the better it will work thats the help from the intercooler cause its running off more gasses it meaning the turbo needs a way to let it escape quicker.

And another factor is the turboes size i believe the bigger the turbo the more the lag the smaller the turbo the less the lag the less power. Yeah the engine life can bring in a crapfactory load of factors as far as the engine goes.

1)tuning cause without it youll be wonderin why you keep blwing up the engines unless you know how to do it just take it to a certified professional. 2) this is what alot of people forgt to do when messin with forced induction get a compression and leakdown test case you have to know the life of the engine before you decide to add more stress on it. 3) maintenance dont think your gonna halfass the job and decide to ride on it when something feels or sounds wrong from outside the car youll feel the hurt wallet-wise.

4)you get what you paid for this game aint cheap hope you have another car to get to work cause this aint for you if you lookin to save a few bucks its a bottomless money pit. 5) do not i repeat do not tune it yourself make sure you take it to a shop who knows what they are doin ASE certicifed be sure to look for that big giant green card accross the building. 6) never ever forget when you do something to your engine it is no longer reliable so with that keep that in mind everytime someone wants to race you if it aint worth it dont race em so nomore driving like a jackbunny. 7)whenever you put more forcefeeding stuff into your engine its not breathing at its normal weight its takin a double dose dont let it overdose and blow up because of it breathing more than it would normally allow.

Comment

last fall i had my f22a1 turbo setup complete and running for about a month and a half. I decided to get rid of the setup because i would have had to spend more money than i wanted to on the fuel management, and other assorted parts to get everytihng working like i wanted.

My setup used a 14b, or tdo5 trbo from an eclipse. i could give you a list of all the parts i used if u want, just p.m. me.

AS far as lag is concerned, you really aren't going to have much, unless you are running a large turbo.
      Turbo lag is at lower rpms, usually under 3000, but if you use a t3/t4 hybrid you shouldn't have much of a deal with it, because the t3/t4 is meant to spool quickly so you'll be making more power down low.

If you do the setup right you engine life will be affected but, you should be able to get many many miles out of it as long as you keep up on the maintenance. But on the other hand getting the setup right is gonna cost you at the very least $1200. and that would be if u got some of the parts u need for free or cheaper than normal.

for that amonut of money you can do a h22 swap which is gonna be more reliable than a turbo f22

Comment

IMO if you're going for easy power, H22 swap is prolly easier route. However, if you're going for lots of power, you're gonna want a turbo & take the time to set it up right. With a good setup you should get good mileage out of an engine that was originally in good condition.

Our 85 new yorker had the 2.2L 4 cyl turbo engine and it lasted to about 240,000 miles. Yes, that's a factory turboed car, but it just shows a good setup can go far.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

yeah like i been lookin at it too unless your rich and have money to blow dont mess with a turbo car unless that baby came out the factory or your very good at tuning cause someone else can blow it for you remember$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or reliability that came out the factory$$$

Comment

i just had a few questions about turbos and setups, i was looking at the sr20det and thinking about buying an s13 and all that but i just had a few questions or get some definitions on things:

1. a blow off valve, how does it work and what is its purpose?
            2. a wastegate???
            3. the turbo comes with 2 parts compressor and the exhaust part what do they each do and how?
            4. how does the turbo know when to spool up and how does it do it.
            5. what is turbo lag and how does it happen?
            6. how do you increase the psi of a turbo?
            7. how does the intercooler work?

most of these i no a bit about but im askin so then i can get some answers from ppl that know better......... thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by kings_blend
              i just had a few questions about turbos and setups, i was looking at the sr20det and thinking about buying an s13 and all that but i just had a few questions or get some definitions on things:

1. a blow off valve, how does it work and what is its purpose?
              relives intake charge pressure so turbo doesnt slam to a halt also reduces boost lag between gears

2. a wastegate???
              --------relieves exhaust gasses to control turbo speed

3. the turbo comes with 2 parts compressor and the exhaust part what do they each do and how?
              The compressor wheels that is attached to the turbin wheel spins to creat pressureized air the turbin wheel is spun by the exhaust gasses leaving the engine

4. how does the turbo know when to spool up and how does it do it.

the turbo spools up when there are enough exhaust gasses entering the turbo with enough force and speed to spin the turbin wheel

5. what is turbo lag and how does it happen?
              lag is the waitng time for the turbo to recieve enough exhast pressure to create boost

6. how do you increase the psi of a turbo?
              you increase boost by keeping the wastgate closed longer so you can build more exhaust pressure hence more boost all boost pressures are regulated by the wastgate
              7. how does the intercooler work?
              intercoolers work by cooling the intake air temp much like a radiator cools your coolant but only for air

most of these i no a bit about but im askin so then i can get some answers from ppl that know better......... thanks guys

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
              member ride thread
              11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
              People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
              I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
              John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

alright guys thanks allot for the info and its definatly very expensive considering that there are not allot of turbo kits available for our cars.
                To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

$1200 for an h22 swap?? Yeah, right. There's no need to start an argument over which is better and all, but the fact is you can get a reliable turbo set up for way cheaper than even buying a h22... that's without shipping/broken parts/installation. There are a few turbo kits for our cars, but any kit is expensive for any car. If you build one up yourself with a good t3 turbo then you would be looking at less than $2000 for everything. Doing it and doing it right are different though. Getting good fuel management through something like a Hondata and some other goodies for your turbo will run you another grand or so. If you fully build up your engine then you are looking at around 3-5k more, but if you do that then it would be well worth it. By fully build up, I mean sleeved, pistons, rods, p&p head/intake manifold/throtle body. cams, valves/valvesprings etc... If you do that though you could easily run up to 20 psi or so with the right turbo and parts. Basically, it's just how fast you want to go. If you are looking for close to stock h22 power then you can get it with a turbo on stock internals pretty easily and safely IF tuned properly. If you want crazy power (300-400+whp) you are easily looking at another 3-5k on the engine. Then you will need a new clutch, axles, and some other crap. If you are low on money the best way to start off would be piecing together your turbo kit until you have it ready. Install it and don't run over 7 psi while you save for a little bit of internal work if you want. I don't have a turbo cb7, but I am planning out my turbo f22 project so I'm just sharing what I've learned. Besides that I have had another turbo car and know a decent amount about them so I hope this helps out a little bit.

Comment

i'd like to go into greater depth on ur questions midnight

1. Blow off valve - Is connected to the intake piping before the throttle body and releases some of the air intake charge when the throttle plate closes(when u let off the gas) so that the air intake charge doesn't make its way back to the turbo's wheel and compressor...try blowing into a soda bottle, the air ur pushing out is coming right back at u. The same happens with the turbo's compressor. Its better to release the air so the turbo doesn't have to fight its own power

2. wastegate - Acts as a exhaust gas pressure re-router. Its connected to the exhaust manifold in most cases with the turbo, but instead of letting the turbo get all of the exhaust gas coming out of the engine it will open at a designated pressure and re-route the gasses into the downpipe rather than the turbo. Why re-route it you may ask? Because if u just let the turbo do whatever it wanted you'd be overboosting and your engine would blow-up. This is definetly not one of those things u can cheap out on. Its the brains behind the power basically.

3. Turbo compressor and exhaust turbine (can't remember the specific name right now) - The exhaust turbine is whats getting all of the exhaust gas. Think of a windmill and it turns when its windy. But in this case its turning because of the pressure built up on it. The turbine thats in the exhaust is connected by a shaft that is connected to the turbine in the compressor. The compressor is for the intake of the air. The blade spins and draws in more air(hence more air and fuel more power). The blade is designed to draw the air into the center of itself, pressurize and speed up that air, and fling it out the compressor

4. The turbo isn't told when to spool up it spools when the pressure from the exhaust spins the exhaust turbine fast enough for the intake blade to pressurize the air and start making power, usually on most mild setups the turbo is starting to or is fully spooled at 2500-4000 of the engine's rpms

5. Turbo lag - Its really not what u think. We usually think of lag as the time it takes for the turbo to start making power. Or when u can feel turbo start to pull the car faster. Common misconception, lag is how long it takes for the turbo to completely spool where it should already be spooled forinstance say your driving steady at 60 mph in 3rd gear and are at 4000 rpm and notice your only at 3 psi. Well you'd previously did a short run before this and saw that the turbo was at the max boost you set of 10 psi by 3500 rpm in the same gear. Well since your now holding 60 mph and the throttle is partially open you won't be making full boost until u go wide open throttle correct? Lag is the time it would take to make max boost when its already supposed to be there basically. The smaller the turbo the less lag but also the less psi you can boost, the bigger the turbo the more lag but greater psi. This lag is why you can intially get a jump on a turbo'd car from a rolling start...but they will catch up to u lol

turbo90accord answered 6 and 7 but ways to increase boost is boost controller that is hooked up to the wastegate and tells it when to open or just getting another spring on the wastegate that opens at a higher exhaust pressure level
                    And remember the bigger the intercooler is the more psi you will lose after the air has been cooled. Your still flowing the same amount of air but the speed will drop considerably.

now i'm asking the other part of the turbo setup that many ppl forget about...how much do u know about fuel and how to get more to the engine in a controlled manner?
                    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

now i'm asking the other part of the turbo setup that many ppl forget about...how much do u know about fuel and how to get more to the engine in a controlled manner? [/B]
                      i'd like to know too..
                      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Working...
                      X