Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Curious about Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about Emissions

I am planning to turbocharge my F22, I'm curious about emissions though.. I currently live in a state that doesn't even have inspections, but I will have to move to NC soon and I'm just curious if I will be able to pass emissions and inspections with a turbocharger.

Also what kinda gas milage do people get with it done?

Might sound noobish but I've searched and haven't found direct answers, I've only found comments on the JDM F22..

I also don't plan on modding the exhaust system too much, maybe a new muffler but my main worry is the turbo..
    Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Originally posted by Shippo
    I am planning to turbocharge my F22, I'm curious about emissions though.. I currently live in a state that doesn't even have inspections, but I will have to move to NC soon and I'm just curious if I will be able to pass emissions and inspections with a turbocharger.

Also what kinda gas milage do people get with it done?

Might sound noobish but I've searched and haven't found direct answers, I've only found comments on the JDM F22..

I also don't plan on modding the exhaust system too much, maybe a new muffler but my main worry is the turbo..
    umm gas milage varies from setup to setup, i get around 18-20 in the city 28 on high way on 93 octane gas, 450cc injecotrs and uberdata. emissions will not be ur friend unless u keep ur cat. thing is u dont want to keep ur cat because it hinders the flow of ur exhaust which is crucial for a any turbo setup.
    h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
    New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
      umm gas milage varies from setup to setup, i get around 18-20 in the city 28 on high way on 93 octane gas...
      Mine is NA on 87 octane gas and that's what I get. With a turbo you should be getting better MPG. Having a turbo is like the wind always being at your back. Emissions - a turbo feeds unburned gases back into the intake so there should actually be less emissions on a turbo'd vehicle. You will want a larger diameter exhaust.

Turbo with bigger exhaust... take a deep breath through your nose and exhale through your open mouth. Easy? Feels good? Could go on a run around the park? Okay, good.

Turbo with stock exhaust... take a deep breath through your nose. No open your lips, clinch your teeth, and try to exhale. As a matter of fact why don't we go ahead and add a dirty air filter to this whole scenario. Breath in and out through your clinched teeth. Starting to feel light headed like your going to pass out?
      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Well the muffler will be changed, I just am more curious about how the cat holds up.

Comment

muffler really only affects sound. so, if you put a loud ass muffler, you most likely will get pulled over, or maybe not even pass emmisions b/c of it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Iamanonymous passed Texas emmisions with his turbo setup. You need at least one Catalytic Converter and a great tune to stand a chance.

Comment

you can always put everything back to stock, then after the test, put it back on.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
                a turbo feeds unburned gases back into the intake so there should actually be less emissions on a turbo'd vehicle.
                umm since when do turbos feed unburned gases into the engine? dude that is ridiculous.

please enlighten your self about turbos and then in the post FI forum?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
                h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by prodigymb
                  umm since when do turbos feed unburned gases into the engine? dude that is ridiculous.

please enlighten your self about turbos and then in the post FI forum?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

I sat there for a moment as was scratching my head on that part. Then trying to invision how that kinda setup would work..

Anyways thank ya'll for all the info this will help lots.

Comment

Is that person talkin bout backpressure?

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

just putting a turbo on ur car isnt going to do anything to the emisions its the same exhuast, its just hitting a turbine first then out it goes.....the exhuast is ur problem.....like d112crzy said u can just put ur stock exhuast back on when u take the test then swap it back..........and ur really gona want a bigger exhuast trust me..not just a muffler thats not doing shit... 2.5 inch piping turbo back is ur best bet

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                        just putting a turbo on ur car isnt going to do anything to the emisions its the same exhuast, its just hitting a turbine first then out it goes.....the exhuast is ur problem.....like d112crzy said u can just put ur stock exhuast back on when u take the test then swap it back..........and ur really gona want a bigger exhuast trust me..not just a muffler thats not doing shit... 2.5 inch piping turbo back is ur best bet
                        you have no idea what is involved with it then. I cannot pass emission with my setup. I don't think I can even come close. I'm glad you have the idea of how turbo charging works, but then realize this. Your changing your fuel supply, and changing the whole ecu. I ran 14.5-15.1 a/f during cruise and I failed emissions horribly. Because of the slight fluctuations in my a/fs. If you can pass emissions in open loop on uberdata you are god.

But to pass, it wouldnt be hard. Take throttle body side intercooler piping off, put stock intake back on, put stock injectors back in, and stock ecu back in, and voila, you pass emissions.
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                          you have no idea what is involved with it then. I cannot pass emission with my setup. I don't think I can even come close. I'm glad you have the idea of how turbo charging works, but then realize this. Your changing your fuel supply, and changing the whole ecu. I ran 14.5-15.1 a/f during cruise and I failed emissions horribly. Because of the slight fluctuations in my a/fs. If you can pass emissions in open loop on uberdata you are god.

But to pass, it wouldnt be hard. Take throttle body side intercooler piping off, put stock intake back on, put stock injectors back in, and stock ecu back in, and voila, you pass emissions.
                          didnt put thought into it.....sry bout that

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            Is that person talkin bout backpressure?
                            but still wouldnt make any sense lol
                            h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

My Members Ride !
                            New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Yea i read the last comment didnt read the whole thing. Kinda sounded like it recirculating exhaust gases from system back into combustion chamber so yea sounded somewhat like backpressure to me. SHoulda read the whole deal my bad.
                              Last edited by NAiL05; 02-16-2006, 11:03 PM.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X