Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Copper charge piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper charge piping?

In my quest to find the cheapest way and to DIY the charge pipes, I was considering using 2 inch copper piping and then I could solder them together much like plumbing. Does anyone advise against doing this?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Wow, never thought of that. They do use copper for air supply lines so it should handle the pressure. Plus, you could polish it if you wanted and then shoot it with clear......might look kinda dope?! I dunno, maybe flat black is better. Good idea though!!!
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

I was just gonna go with semi-flatblack or something.

basically I just want to customize the piping and I have easy acces to copper. Im thinking it shuold be fine, The melting point of copper is higher than that of aluminum, im just wondering about the piping tarnishing,etc inside?

Comment

Maybe you could dip. It in something to coat it so that it wouldn't tarnish

Ride List
        1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
        2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
        newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

well the outside would be painted eventually
          im just wondering about the inside of it. i dont think anything would happen, i wouldnt care if it tarnished, i just wouldnt want it flaking or anything. If I could use copper it would make things so much easier.

Comment

copper is soft but brittle, make sure you find some way of giving room for motion...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i might give it a go, just gotta wait for a few more of the pros to chime in

Comment

I don't think copper transfers heat well enough for piping. Piping really isn't that much that you'd have to skimp on it that bad. Also i've seen copper used before, it eventually fails.
                Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

No.

Comment

also, The thickness of the pipe would play a huge part cause you can't clamp thin metal down alot without bending it. And you have to clamp tight or else you'll just be blowing charge pipes. I highly advise against this. Do it right the first time.
                    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

thanks guys! Im gonna buy some off ebay if that counts as doing it right the first time, lol.

Comment

isnt copper heavy....?..

Comment

not overly heavy id say

Comment

I agree with Mike. If it's all soldered/fluxed together, you NEED to give it room to flex and absorb vibration or it'll crack easier than a coupler blowing off. Seems like an interesting idea, but just order that universal piping kit like I did and Meno has.
                            wat

Comment

There is no way that could last longer than a few startups and spirited drives.

Heatsoaked copper + psi + constant vibration + sudden loss of psi due to BOV= back to square one. And soldered together...tells me that copper must be damn soft. Your engine's air temp can rival light duty solder guns on hot days.

Aluminum is cool, but I am old fashioned. I love SS.

Comment

Working...
                              X