Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

high compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high compression?

ok i know that this is going to sound like a stupid question but i was wondering if turbochargers cause high compression? i know that low compression pistons are supposed to be used in a turbo application...but i was looking at getting new valves and the two choices are high compression and standard compression...i know that the standard ones would probably work since i only want to run 8 pounds of boost and also the valves are skunk2...just something i was wondering...

Umm well you can run high compression with a turbo setup but you better have a bad ass tuner...I have a vid of a teg runnin turbo and i think hes doing 11:1 or 10.5:1 compression but yea. Do you have the spec on both? I wouldnt think both had a difference maybe size wise?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i was wanting to know if turbos caused an increase in compression? also would my car run on 9:1 compression if i didnt have the turbo yet?

Comment

Originally posted by accord93racer
        i was wanting to know if turbos caused an increase in compression? also would my car run on 9:1 compression if i didnt have the turbo yet?

no, they dont' change compression at all.......they do have an affect on back pressure if that's what you're thinking of

yes, your car would run fine on 9:1 compression.....you could run fine on 8:1 compression.....the lower the compression, the less hp and tq you'll have relatively speaking
        ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

They can have the same effect, raising the BMEP.
          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
            They can have the same effect, raising the BMEP.
            bmep is just a way to compare engines in a "common denominator" way......it's basically a result of compression, but you can raise the bmep without altering the cr at all.......you can do a lot of things to raise the bmep since it's related directly to power output
            Last edited by rickyduckworth; 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM.
            ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
              bmep is just a way to compare engines in a "common denominator" way......it's basically a result of compression, but you can raise the bmep without altering the cr at all.......you can do a lot of things to raise the bmep since it's related directly to power output
              lol.

Gee...thanks for clarifying for them, Ricky.
              It's not as a "result of compression", it's a result of effective charge density.

Keep reading, my friend.
              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
              X