Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Building the engine for mild boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building the engine for mild boost

Ok so I'm doing the basic 8psi on stock internals, now I was wondering if I put in forged pistons/rods could I safely run 10psi or what other parts would I need, this is assuming I have a good tune. My setup is the dsm 14b also are 390cc injectors good to 10psi? Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump? I've tried searching and reading but something says 1 thing then another says something completely different so I figured I'd ask.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

you dont need forged internals for 8psi on a 14b. and if your gonna get forged internals, run a real turbo. Not sure on the injectors, you should probably calculate it yourself instead of having other people do it for you.

you probably should search, a lot more. figure out which people are more credible then others.
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I don't know how to do a calculation to figure it out, if I went with forged pistons/rods how many pounds of boost could I run and do you consider a 16g a real turbo? Thanks for the reply rob :P

Comment

most of the time, the problem is with the tuning and not the actual engine parts......
        ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
          most of the time, the problem is with the tuning and not the actual engine parts......
          Speaks the truth. Until you push major power/ high temps...the stock engine will hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
            dunno about that. I'm getting some blow by now, my tune is fine, its actually very safe. I guess thats what a year and some of beating on it does to it.

Yes, a 16g would be much better. why waste the potential of your motor on a 14b with forged internals? lol. 390cc injectors should be fine, but if you dont have them just get the 450ccs, they can be had cheap
            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

it depends
              if you plan to stay at 10 psi i'd say just get stock replacements. but most ppl want more power when they taste a lil, so if your that kind of person i'd say go with upgrades

Comment

ya...id agree with sulimed, once you feel 10 psi and how much better it is then your current level (especially with a larger turbo with more cfm) you are then going to be like 'ooo i wonder what 12 feels like' --> 'ooo 12's hot i wonder what 14 feels like'...boost is something that can be easily addicted to ~ so id just upgrade the shit outta it so when you decide you want more boost, the engine internals arent even an issue~
                justin
                My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

so I can run 8 psi stock internals and if I like that then I can get new stock internals (pistons/rods) and run 10 psi, so say I get forged internals, what's a good number to run then? Also what are prices on internals and where can I get them? I definatly feel like thats what I wanna do, high c but I'm just trying to get all the info before I do it as I still need to get some turbo parts.

Comment

search man do a ton of reading bro...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I'm going to agree with everyone that has said it's addicting and you WILL want to crank the boost once you feel it. Mine ran on 6psi, it was fun, then I went up to 9psi, it was more fun, then I took it to the track. Started off at 10psi, went up to 12, then to 14, spiked at ~18psi that run. About four days after that, ringlands said good night. This was on a T3/4.

I suggest just going ahead and building the motor for boost from the start, it will prevent a few headaches in the near future.

As for internals, the route I'm taking is Eagle H22 rods with custom made Arias pistons. That setup (for just the rods and pistons) is going to run me right at $850. $300 for rods, $550 for custom pistons. If you decide to rebuild for boost, plan on a few hundred more for other things like water pump, oil pump, timing belt, bearings, gaskets, stuff like that.
                      1993 Prelude S
                      F22A1
                      custom'ish turbo setup
                      180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
                      18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
                      currently being rebuilt

Comment

Originally posted by Fr0z3N
                        so I can run 8 psi stock internals and if I like that then I can get new stock internals (pistons/rods) and run 10 psi, so say I get forged internals, what's a good number to run then? Also what are prices on internals and where can I get them? I definatly feel like thats what I wanna do, high c but I'm just trying to get all the info before I do it as I still need to get some turbo parts.
                        i got about 800 in my rods and pistons (arias and forged hbeams) and the rods are designed to hold like 700 and pistons 650 i think...so thats what, like 40psi? But honestly, my car is running like 6 right now bc i have less then 2k on it, but im cranking it to 14 tonight, and im sure once im running 14 and making gobs of torque, im gonna want more, so then all it is is bigger injectors and retune, bc i know the engine can take more psi then 14...so with forged internals i think it is more or less whatever you wanna do. Like i can walk outside and as long as i have a map good to 20psi, i can turn it down one day and run 10, or if i feel like pounding the pavement i can crank it to that level and know it aint gonna fly apart. Do it right the first time and you shall be all set, dont waste your money on stock replacement, spend the couple extra bucks and get fully forged.

Another thing might be a good idea to look into is a new oil pump. Mine was sucking madddd ass, and if you aint got an oil psi gauge, it is like 100 for a new HO toda one, so that is a wise investment...
                        justin
                        My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

upgrade the fuel pump

do some more research (if you haven't already) and compile a parts list of the parts going into your car

Comment

Working...
                          X