Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Cam profiles and supercharging... what's good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam profiles and supercharging... what's good?

I know cams with as little overlap as possible are best for turbo. Is this true also with superchargers? Or can a good NA cam be useful with a supercharged setup?

I suppose I should understand the reason WHY wild cams don't sit well with turbos...

Is it due to the need for a powerful exhaust flow (since a wild cam for our high-revving engines would make power up high, meaning the turbo won't spool as well...)

Or is it due to the need for the compressed intake charge to remain in the combustion chamber as much as possible (meaning high overlap cams would contaminate the dense charge).

I know my reasoning is simplistic... I don't mean to get into extreme detail without knowing more than I know. Both of those reasons are strictly from my own understanding, and not based on any sort of hard fact (which is why I'm asking )

I'm seriously considering supercharging. I NEED a timing belt change before I even consider doing it, and I wouldn't mind getting some Crower Stage 2 cams while I'm at it. However, it would be worthless if the cams didn't work well with the supercharger.

Well for turbos, minimized overlap benefits the pressurization of the intake charge, as well as keeping it in the combustion chamber. Too much overlap would make for blowby...which is when the intake charge goes right through the chamber w/o being burned. Also, I'm pretty sure the giant backpressure of the turbo would make the exhaust want to go back to the lower pressure of the combustion chamber. So on one hand, you have the issue of keeping the intake charge within the chamber...and on the other hand, you have the turbo keeping the exhaust from leaving.

On a supercharged motor though the exhaust backpressure isn't there, so the rules are different. Blowby is probably more of an issue as the exhaust is free-flowing, which would make the pressurized intake charge want to leave through that conduit even more, but at the same time, you might be able to utilize scavenging a little bit to help with flow, but from what I gather basically the same rules as a turbo cam apply.

You have DOHC though...just advance the retard the intake cam and advance the exhaust...

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I wonder what the Crower stage 1.5 (or whatever it's called) would do... Stock small lobes with larger VTEC lobes...

Comment

exhaust velocity.

you want higher exhaust velocity with a turbo car, so it drives the wheel faster. a cam with high overlap would have both valves open more, and therefore would result in greater exhaust scavenging (good for N/A cars) but low exhaust velocity.

also, blowby is an issue, since the air is pressurized, it will just blow right through the combustion chamber if both valves are open too long.
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

evans tuning pwns

http://forums.evans-tuning.com//view...ght=turbo+cams

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
          X