Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

My Turbo F22B2 - F22B DOHC hybrid - s16g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the total cost for the pistons and rings(set of 4)?
    What Rod's did you get?
    And whats the link to the pistons?

Comment

that deglazing job looks real nice but make sure you get piston to wall readings and tehy better be .002" or smaller.not trying to sound liek a smart ass just looking out for you.

ILBB
      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
      The world needs to be reset.

Comment

.002" or smaller!!! REally!? holy crap that's a tight fitting piston.

I'll give it a measure though for curiousity. I sorta just threw this together for as cheap as possible...not even decking it or the head (AHHH)! i was careful taking the head off with torquing out and whatnot, and it worked fine on the F22a block it's currently on. My only concern is that when i spun a rod in the current block that metal got into the head and chew up the bearings. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the F22b head is still ok.

Mark
        Last edited by mtnickel; 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

well i would deffinatly check it...you never know you might of actually taken more material than you had to and now the piston to wall is to big...i'm using forged pistons and i just measured mine and their at .005-.006" wich is ideal for forged pistons but i would deffinatly not want to run that much on pistons that dont expand after warming up...piston slap and motor go bye-bye...

ILBB
          People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

.002" is the service limit, thats teh biggest you can go on stock pistons when a rebuild is recomemded according to the manual.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

sons of pain in my assholes.

well it's not .002". and hypereutectic pistons expand even less than cast ones. crap...mhhhhh...well then. should have done more homework...i went with the 60 seconds recommended by the maker of the rings.

But even still,it could have been out of spec even before i honed.

well looks like i look for 85.5mm pistons and rebore/hone, or find a cheap block that's still in spec.
              unfortunate.

Let this be a lesson to all those who want to rebuild an engine...research and tolerances are Key.

mark

Comment

i can't exactly measure because you're supposed to measure 3/4" from the bottom crown,
                but when putting in the original piston with the ability to slide past the rings, i get a reading of around .0025 to .003.

these pistons actually work best with half the recommended service limit.

I think new plan will be forged and more power just have to save up now.

Mark

Mark

Comment

haha, don't get discouraged man shit happens and you learn from them...to be honest as soon as i saw you did the hone yourself i figured you had to go out of spec cause that hone looks like it took alot of material taken out, i just didnt wanna sound cocky...

out of curiosity what is the clearance at?

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

well it's hard to tell the exact with the current pistons since it's all together, but with the stock F22B piston it's in the range of .0025 to .0035.
                    However, this is just on 1 side. is the clearance supposed to be all the way around? cuz in that case i might be okay since the actual clearance all the way around would be only about .00175 at the most.

mark

Comment

no thats with the piston skirt touching the cylinder wall on one side and getting the measurement on the other.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

well then i'm screwed.

Ha...well F22 blocks are pretty easy to come by. I'll see what i can dig up before i completely abandon this. But considering hypereutectic pistons need very tight clearances...any used block doesn't seem ideal.

Mark

Comment

unless you get oversized psitons?do they make them in over size?

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

just checked with my friend...the clearance is actually divided by 2 if i measure that way.
                            and typically i should measure bore with outside micrometer or bore micrometer then measure piston and compare and divide by 2.

i'll keep you posted.

Comment

i'll have to check the manual again but i'm pretty sur ethe pic showed the piston pressed on one side and measuring from the other...if that the case then my measurements are to tight lol.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

no, you were right...friend recanted when i double checked with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X