Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo system bypass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ there we are!! that looks good as a diagram, but as it has been stated many times so far, lots of room will be required for this. If you aren't opposed to the idea of a vortech, I think that could be slightly easier to se up, you would just need some sort of magnetic clutch, like that of an ac compressor to engage/disengage your input drive to the charger, and a variable intake the same as the one in djcaz_aom ' s setup. that way, with the vortech, you can have normal exhaust right from the head, you stop the thing from spinning with the clutch and bypass the rest of the aftercoolers and FI intake with one of those^^ leaving you with a normal NA motor with some expensive dead weight attached.
    Last edited by slammed_cb7; 12-20-2006, 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That is a perfect diagram. Good job!
      wat

Comment

Originally posted by slammed_cb7
        ^^ there we are!! that looks good as a diagram, but as it has been stated many times so far, lots of room will be required for this. If you aren't opposed to the idea of a vortech, I think that could be slightly easier to se up, you would just need some sort of magnetic clutch, like that of an ac compressor to engage/disengage your input drive to the charger, and a variable intake the same as the one in djcaz_aom ' s setup. that way, with the vortech, you can have normal exhaust right from the head, you stop the thing from spinning with the clutch and bypass the rest of the aftercoolers and FI intake with one of those^^ leaving you with a normal NA motor with some expensive dead weight attached.

what room would you need?? the turbo would just hang a lil lower

and any room needed (if needed) for the intake portion would be suplied with a battery relocation

seems like it would work w/ djcaz's idea...the most difficult part would probably be w/ the ecu and that doesnt even seem that difficult

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

I don't mean lots of room, like you are gonna need to hack to have any possible configuration, but as with any turbo set up(yours included), you start throwing around intercooler piping, intercoolers, bigger manifolds, turbos etc. you get a bit cramped. But as you've said, a battery re-location would help quite a bit for the extra cone filter and intake bypass.

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom
            Here's what you need deev:

To make it work you will need the bypasses as you said(green arrows)
            And an eletric oil pump, to circulate the oil. (Purple Rectangle)
            How did anyone miss the compressed air just getting closed off? That design wouldn't work because the motorized valve would blow right off when the turbo is spooled.

Comment

wonder if this would be easier on a remote turbo system

Formerly 91AccordExR33
              11.68 @ 127mph
              417whp/375wtq
              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

didn't miss it just thought they were going to use a throttle body there. A tb would theoritically work there but it'd also be another hinderance for air flow...and on top of that there would have to be a third throttle body on the 2nd intake thingy so the compressed air wouldn't just vent itself through the air filter.
                Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

While researching a dump valve a while ago, I saw a lot of people wanting to make them out of used throttle bodies. Apparently that was a bad idea

That's the thing I want to use... two of them (the diagram is exactly what I had in mind, and the inline oil pump may possibly take care of the oiling problem...)

Lee, you're right, that probably would work better on a remote system, simply because there's no direct heat for the turbo to soak up. With the hot side valve closed, the turbo won't be any hotter than the gas tank.

Comment

i haven't read it all but the problems you run into involve engine compression and cam profile. you can easily make this work, but your efficiency will be FAR better with the turbo (that's what turbos do, increase efficiency by using wasted exhaust gas to create power)

you can't have a cam with a real TURBO profile (low overlap) and N/A profile (overlap is goooood) and the compression ratio is going to be in the middle (8.5-9.5) which isn't the most efficient way.

if your engine is set up for turbo (lower compression, less overlap, larger valves) then going n/a will mean worse hp, worse tq, worse gas mileage and MORE heat.

if your goal is to improve efficiency, then this is just a bad idea that is really good for nothing but "ooh it's different"

a variable compression ratio and dual cam profiles would be great, but nowadays, turbos are efficient enough to make that obsolete

great idea 20 years ago
                    ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

if heat is your main concern get heatwrap and a heatbag for the turbo and they work. if gas milage is your main concern i got solid 22-24mpg spirited driving-very spirited and if you just wanna do what you wanna do here is how you do it. get a manifold made with a large wastegate port such as a 50mm - hks makes a good 50mm wastegate and an electronic vacumm solenoid to control the wastegate so it will stay open all the time until activated. key here is having a large wastegate port so you arent loosing to exhaust much flow and creating to much backpressure. is it worth it- i say NAH and you'll never have the thing off anyway
                      h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
                      New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Couldnt you also just run a larger turbo ? not like the t25 or 14b's that start to spool so early. I mean if you get a larger one then your not always in boost or atleast full boost. Thus less wear and tear on your motor. Not to mention you still have all that power on tap in the higher rpm's above 3k 3500k... Just an idea.

Comment

The engine isn't under any undue stress until you cram more than atmospheric pressure into the intake charge(i.o.w. when you enter boost). The only benefit I could see to this system would be to minimize the minimal losses in spinning the turbine off-boost, but that's really nothing.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Deev, it sounds like running a nitrous kit would suit your needs... Instead of all this complex bypassing and expensive rerouting. Power when you want it, yet gas efficient when you don't need speed.
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

Comment

I'm thinking of it in more of a hypothetical manner... I don't think I'd ever actually attempt it

My very first question on ANY automotive forum (www.hondahookup.com specifically) was "can I turn a turbo off?". At the time, it was a rediculous question once I learned how the system worked. However, now that I know more about it, I'm beginning to wonder if there IS a way to turn it off.

Comment

Nissan engineers already done something similar to what your trying to do deev except with a supercharger. It's called the 350Z GT-S concept and can be daily driven N/A and at the push of a button can go into tire ripping supercharged mode.....so why wouldn't a turbo work? And jeez talk about a h22 being cramed in a cb7 engine bay. I was watching my friend put in his K&N drop in filter in his new '06 350z and I don't see how any engine work can be done in that engine bay. Too many plastic panels and stuff in newer cars...

Funny I thought I was the only one daydreaming about having such a monster. I had daydreams of a custom H22 manifold that could allow such a thing to happen since gas used to kill me and turbo was in my future. But imagine the labor and cost of a thing to be fabbed?
                                I need a custom turbo manifold built....
                                707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
                                "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
                                '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Working...
                                X