Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Wastegate size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wastegate size

Hey guys another question. my manifold that i love dearly came with a 46mm plate for the external wastegate now my question is, isnt that a little big for what i am doing? what is the difference in the sizes? if i was to have the 46 cut off and put a 38mm would that be better or not worth it?

Also how many of you guys dump it or do you run it back into your exhaust stream? what would be the benifits of either way?

Thanks

im dumping to atmosphere. I would assume the benefits come from dumping the gases out there rather than having it head through the rest of the exhaust, decreases back pressure, and just sounds way way way way WAY better
    My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

if you are going for moderate boost levels, a 38mm will suffice, but im not sure if a 46mm will be fine. You might just have to spend a little more on a 46mm than a more common 38mm

Formerly 91AccordExR33
      11.68 @ 127mph
      417whp/375wtq
      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
        if you are going for moderate boost levels, a 38mm will suffice, but im not sure if a 46mm will be fine. You might just have to spend a little more on a 46mm than a more common 38mm
        HAHA thats what i am trying to get around the cost is a ton more. for something i really dont think ill ever use to its fullest.

Comment

Ebay it lol. But damn thats a pretty big flange. What type of manifold did you get? My friend also dumps into atmosphere haha shits pretty loud when he talks to me on phone when driving haha he should be at the meet =D. I think he might have an extra wastegate but I think it was 38mm I will double check with him. If all else fails you can try making an adapter plate for something smaller or just hack the stock tubing and weld on a 36/38mm flange.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah thats what i think i might do cut mine off and put another on there. my mani is the sx power for the 4g63 t4.

Comment

After reading a lot of threads on honda-tech i went with a 38mm TIAL, and im planning on making over 400whp.
              1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

WAYYYY more than i want, im looking for a respectable 250whp so the 38 would be alot better all around i think, thanks guys now to find someone who can weld stainless...

Comment

By the way, a common misunderstanding is that you need a bigger wastegate for higher boost levels. Think about that. The higher boost you run, the more exhaust you are using to spin the turbine, and the less you are releasing out the wastegate... You really only need a larger wastegate if you are running a huge ass turbo at low boost settings.

Just a little tid bit for you all.
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

well im planning on running one of these two turbos ane only running tops of 12psi more like 8-10. do ya think i still need the 46mm???

Im thinking im going to run a garrett turbo with these specs
                    t3/t4 50 A/R COMPRESSOR .63 A/R TURBINE .57 TRIM
                    or this one
                    T3/T4 .50 COLD .83 HOT .56 trim

I havent picked which one yet, if you guys have an opinion on which one i should get let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
                      well im planning on running one of these two turbos ane only running tops of 12psi more like 8-10. do ya think i still need the 46mm???

Im thinking im going to run a garrett turbo with these specs
                      t3/t4 50 A/R COMPRESSOR .63 A/R TURBINE .57 TRIM
                      or this one
                      T3/T4 .50 COLD .83 HOT .56 trim

I havent picked which one yet, if you guys have an opinion on which one i should get let me know.

38mm wastegate will suffice for those turbo's at that boost level. The 46mm and up are only going to be useful if you have a GT35 or GT40 or a really big turbo like that.

Comment

on my currently broken turbo i ran a 38mm internal wastegate... with a 60-1 and td06h turbine i didnt have any boost creap for as little as 12psi. I had it at 20psi a few times and with my electronic boost controller built into my AEM EMS and a GM boost solenoid and never had any boost creap issues. I'm pretty sure a 38mm is good to over 400whp. I'm sure a 45mm wouldnt hurt for above 400whp, but 38mm will do the trick for lower for most basic setups
                        12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
                        11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
                        F22a1
                        60-1 td06h turbo
                        Darton mid sleeves
                        85.5 wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons
                        Crower pro billet rods
                        Custom ported head.
                        KMS valves
                        F23 headgasket
                        ARP H23 headstuds
                        H23 upper intake manifold