Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h23 pistons+TT rods in an h22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h23 pistons+TT rods in an h22

Im wanting to do a mild build on my h22 to run a little more boost than I am running now(5-6psi) and to make a little more power a little more safely. What I came up with as far as the budget Im on is using a forged rod on an h23 piston to lower compression a little and strengthen the rotating assembly. My question is, is it possible to use a stock style piston on a tuner toys forged rod which is floating wrist pin style http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/R...ting_Rods.html
    I figure what may have to be done is that the rod may have to be machined out a bit to allow for the press in wrist pin style, but I don't know if im heading in the right direction as far as that goes. Also Im wondering how much of a benefit this would be, I plan to run around 15psi and hopefully make close to 350whp. Any input on this is much appricated.
    H22-T FTW!!!

please?!?!
    H22-T FTW!!!

Comment

i think the piston height would change also. it mite make your comp too low or too high. The H23 piston is .5mm shorter than the h22 piston...so IDK

glad to see someone else from Indiana on here

Comment

deck height is the same, compression height is 31mm on the h22 and 30.5 on the h23 so your right on that, piston volume is 1.9cc on the h22 and -9.9 on the h23, combustion chamber is 53.8cc on the h22 and 50cc on h23, so idk, im sure compression would be below the 9:8.1 it is on the h23 but idk how to calculate comression give all the specs. and the zealautoworkz calculator I used before isnt working anymore. Off topic for a sec. if your from indy, do you ever make trips to greenwood on sat. nights?
        H22-T FTW!!!

Comment

First off, you do know the H22a isnt sleeved like an F22, H23. right?

So if your familyer with this, you should also know it has FRM, or Fiber Reinforced Matrix cylinder walls. So your best options would be Mahle Golds. There made especially for the H22. There available in high comp dome, standard, and low comp dish for boost.
          -RIP Eric Hall. Miss you brother-
          newskoolhippy (10:53:37 PM): i want to see a pic of you with a hard-on to prove thats your cock
          newskoolhippy (10:53:56 PM): i need to see your face in the pic
          newskoolhippy (10:54:07 PM): with todays paper in the picture to prove your taking it now

Comment

h23s use the frm sleeves too also a cast style piston regardless of where it came from wont damage the frm sleeves, the mahle golds use a coating to make them wear like a cast pistons.

I used a couple compression calculators, first one came up with an 8:5.1 comp. second came up with 8:8.1 so either way thats alright with me.
            Last edited by jDmacCordh22a; 10-25-2007, 01:26 AM.
            H22-T FTW!!!

Comment

The Pistons goes first before the rods. So I would say spend the extra money and get the coated forged pistons. There is no point in fitting aftermarket rods with stock pistons.

Comment

x1 if u are going to go through that trouble change both rods and pistons. i used crower rods and mahle pistons in mine, and get some arp head studs to. jmo.

Comment

ok agreed, but the whole point in doing this is to make more power, low budget. Now I need to figure out if those rods can be made to accept press-in wrist pin.
                  H22-T FTW!!!

Comment

just bore out the pistons wrist pin hole.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Thats what I thought would have to happen, just didnt know if this was something that had been done before.
                      H22-T FTW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jDmacCordh22a
                        deck height is the same, compression height is 31mm on the h22 and 30.5 on the h23 so your right on that, piston volume is 1.9cc on the h22 and -9.9 on the h23, combustion chamber is 53.8cc on the h22 and 50cc on h23, so idk, im sure compression would be below the 9:8.1 it is on the h23 but idk how to calculate comression give all the specs. and the zealautoworkz calculator I used before isnt working anymore. Off topic for a sec. if your from indy, do you ever make trips to greenwood on sat. nights?
                        i will once i get the accord back rolling, and the clutch broke in but 31 south i one of the spots i run at. 38th street too.....but that a WHOLE different crowd.

Comment

i see your not really getting an answer about what you can afford so here i'll do my best.

my h22 has mahle gold series pistons on stock rods with floating wrist pins, no modification was needed, i do not believe you should need any either, your best bet is the machine shop you get to put them in tell you what you need to know on that battle front.
                          also, power wise it is possible to make that much power on the frm cyclinder walls of the h22 and h23 , i have seen it done numurous times without fail. It's all in the tunning, and with that kind of power,, you do need to upgrade your pistons or they will fail.
                          good rods and pistons with a good tune and you should be golden.
                          "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                          X