Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

turbo vs supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo vs supercharger

i was just wondering what the main differences are between a supercharger and a turbocharge
    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
    My members ride page
    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

A turbo runs of the exhaust gases to operate, exhaust gases turn the exhaust side propeller, which in turn turns the intake side propeller. A supercharger runs of the crankshaft by a belt, the belt turns the pulley, which in turn rotates the propeller. Turbos rob u less hp than superchargers but, supercharges have constant power. (meaning their always on, no boost lag)

My Ride

Comment

and by that...supercharges put more strain on your engine....

i dont think they make s/c's for our cars anyways unless you get a custom one....but whatever...

boost or die

Turbo CB7 is Gone ...But I Still Come Around
      AWD TURBO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!

Comment

i prefer a turbo over s/c any day, u also have to deal w/ slippage of belt, broken belts..

My Ride

Comment

But... Id rather break a belt then blow and engine anyday

Comment

either way whether ur boost 20psi on a turbo or 20psi on a s/c it's still the same engine.. It's gonna blow ne wayz...

My Ride

Comment

overall superchargers put more strain ont he engine...ive had friends blow their 6g trannies....one of them happen to me on their 13th...yes 13th tranny and counting....wow they suck....with the Comptech S/C....and thats just at 6psi i think....

TURBO ALL THE WAY!!

Turbo CB7 is Gone ...But I Still Come Around
              AWD TURBO IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!

Comment

Originally posted by AznBadAss92LX

TURBO ALL THE WAY!!
                that's the way 2 go..

My Ride

Comment

super chargers make their power in a linear fashion, that means that the power curve is pretty close to that of stock. Superchargers work well for applications such as mudding trucks and low end torque machines. Depending on the application a supercharger is very ideal.

Beyond the obvious advantages of them, they are easier to install and require less components to operate properly. One of the easiest things is the fact that the fuel managment is simple because you don't have to worry about the variables involved in turbo boosting a car.

There are a 3 types of supercharges, centrifugal, twin-screw, and roots. Centrifigal would be something similar to the turbocharger setup, most of the time you see these on imports because they are mounted in the fasion like an alternator would be. Twin-screw are a very efficient design and work with two gears side by side compressing air (two screws). The twin screw is argued to be the most efficient style of supercharging. Roots is those big mean nasty looking things you see on funny cars and old school hot rods. They are terrably unefficient but who cares if your roots blower is robbing your motor of 3-400 HP when the end result puts you well past 1500!

There are plenty of good research out there, just type in the style of supercharger and away you go. I don't feel I need to go into the dynamics of turbocharging because this should be a known topic. Come do a search around the forum that I moderate over at home made turbo (check sig) and you'll find all you need to know.

I personally like turbos cause they are cheap, efficient, and make much cooler noises then a supercharger does (unless you like that constant whine... but if I was down for that then I would get a gear drive cam set - for my small block chevy).

hope this helps.

-ryan

Comment

Thanks a lot guys that has been very helpful. I was actually asking for a friend of mine who wants to get the scion tc. He was debating between a supercharger or turbocharger. I myself might go turbo on my f22a1. Thanks again.
                    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                    My members ride page
                    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

glad I could offer some assistance. Look around this board for turbo info or my board.

Comment

Working...
                      X