Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Simple F22 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple F22 turbo

Hey guys, i recently aquired a 14b turbo from a DSM eclipse and a starion FMIC. I also got the stock DSM manifold (for free) which i have been told directly bolts up to the F22 block with slight modification.

I want a custom turbo set up, but i dont want anything fancy. I want to run 5-7 PSI mabye even up to 10 PSI ( i want to see what i will need to do first) I have done extensive research into how a turbo works but need some help.

i need a basic FMU, i plan on getting a vortec but i dont know what ratio i should get (12:1, 10:1, 8:1 ect..)

I believe the 14b is both oil and water cooled but i have no idea how to hook this up...

i have heard ALOT of talk about timing and i am not sure what to do there either iv heard you need an AFC, and iv heard that an AFC can make it worse.

if anyone can help me that would be great
    i have a lot more questions but ill see what you guys have to say first

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

i dunno hondata seems to expensive at $400+ and i have talked to a few F22 turbo guys who have had excelent luck with just the FMU

I am definitly not gonna have cash to put her on a dyno and im not really looking to get the most HP i can out of it. i just want it to work and give me a little "boost". even if i get less than 200 hp id be happy as long as it worked.

this project is more of a learning experience than anything. i know the engine will blow, its got 170k miles on it, but im going to get a new engine after that and go a little more in depth.

also there are about 5 holes for cooling on the 14b, how do i know which are for water and which for oil?

oh and would bigger injectors help at 5-7 psi?

Comment

7 psi huh without spending much on engine management you say??? Hmmm... well I would go with an upgraded fuel pump, FMU let's say 10:1, and an MSD 6BTM. I would retard 1 degree per pound of boost. Ideally you would go .75 or a little less but you want to do it without in depth engine management. You'll also need a "missing link" type adapter for the map sensor so it won't throw a CEL or flood the engine with fuel when it sees the boost.

As for injectors without a good way to control them your are kind of pissing in the dark. The real way to know if you need them is a Dyno but you don't want to do that.

So really you kind of stuck there. You could use an SAFC to maybe juice some more out of your stock injectors but without a wideband or dyno being able to tell will be near impossible.

Stay away from the DSM 450's with the AFC hack. That's asking for trouble.

At least get the car to a Dyno and see how it behaves. You'll get so much more out of it and you can still go with piggy backs. There is no such thing as a cheap turbo, cheaper maybe but not cheap.

As for the lines post pictures. Two are coolant and two are oil. There should only be four ports on your housing.
      My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

so the dsm manifolds will fit?
        and how difficult is it to line the wholes up for it to fit?
        thanks, i just want to make sure
        Theo-
        NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

Originally posted by theone
          so the dsm manifolds will fit?
          and how difficult is it to line the wholes up for it to fit?
          thanks, i just want to make sure
          Theo-
          It will fit on the F22A1/4/6 and H23A. It's not hard if you have a drill press. You can use the F22A's exhaust manifold gasket as a template. You will have to reinforce your engine mounts because you'll have to remove the front mount in order to fit the turbo in.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
            It will fit on the F22A1/4/6 and H23A. It's not hard if you have a drill press. You can use the F22A's exhaust manifold gasket as a template. You will have to reinforce your engine mounts because you'll have to remove the front mount in order to fit the turbo in.
            i did find the mount being in the way a big problem when doing test fits...however i have found a solution..

its very hard to explain but basicly instead of having the turbo mounted the way everyone else does i turned the whole thing to its side. so that the exhaust/wastegate holes are facing straight down, rather than to left left right into the motor mount. this way i had to create a custom adapter for the manifold but its all worth it in the end because the down pipe is straigt down, no need for crazy bends.

i got another question though. i bought an autometer boost guage and im having trouble understanding the directions...does it hool up to the MAP sensor like the crappy APC one i had (but returned) did? it doesnt have a "T" fitting like the other one...has anyone had experience installing these?

Comment

"T" off the FPR's vacum just like the BOV.

Comment

yah, thats what i did with my last guage, but this one didnt come with any T's....i dunno ill figure it out, thanks a lot though!

Comment

How the turbo project going? I recently just had my T25 Garret turbo install, custom shop made exhaust manifold that make the turbo stick out straight instead of 90 degree bend like most turbo. I was being cheap my front engine mount was also remove for the downpipe. Tunning the turbo is the hardess thing, U gotto taker it to a dyno and spend like a whole day there. There no dyno around where I live so I have to drive it untune for a 2 week. at 7psi it ran like crap, being flooded with fuel, and was so slow off the line. The shop and restard my timming to much since they don't have a dyno.

My setup has RC 370cc injector, T25 Garrent oil/water cool, DSM Intercooler, FMU 10:1, maps signal mods black box, Apexi Safc v2. Boost and A/F Gauges. AEM pulley, AEM cam gear, 93 EX ECU, 93 EX Dual runnter intake manifold. Stock fuel pump, was test still good and can supply enough fuel up to 9 psi.

Maybe we can help each other get our turbo running right.
                  90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                  < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

yah that would be great man. how is it driving without the front mount?? I got an adjustable FMU. im not sure if i should get bigger injectors or not.

as for the dyno. how much did they charge you? I know i wont have much cash left over, i think my "tunning" is going to consist of driving around and adjusting the FMU accordingly. i dunno yet.

did you front mount your intercooler? i got a starion FMIC, it looks real nice and fits suprisingly well.

Comment

iv said it before and ill say it again....im not worried about %100 efficency of my turbo, as long as i have more than my stock 135-140 horse power, i will be happy as a clam

Comment

>>>>yah that would be great man. how is it driving without the front mount?? I got an adjustable FMU. im not sure if i should get bigger injectors or not.

as for the dyno. how much did they charge you? I know i wont have much cash left over, i think my "tunning" is going to consist of driving around and adjusting the FMU accordingly. i dunno yet.

did you front mount your intercooler? i got a starion FMIC, it looks real nice and fits suprisingly well>>>>

It actually drive ok without the front mount, I tested and have a friend shift into gear and I stood by the engine and it did not move that much, I would suggest reinforcing the other 3 mount with uerthane (sp?) I have not done it since my car is getting new head replace from slipping cam gear that retard it to -10.
                        at 5-7 psi your stock should be ok with the FMU, but if you want max power at 7psi then I would get upgrade injector, used one ran from $30-$80 a set, our accord stock is 240cc so a prelude or civic might work, Fizz should be able to help u. The shop that install my turbo had a set of RC 370cc injector and stole an extra $300 from me. Later I found I could have stay with stock for 5-7psi dame it.

My tech did an experience and butt tuning , so it not a Real Dyno tune, he charge $300 for tunning, it ran ok at WOT but ran like a turtle in normal driving. and I smell fuel so it was running way to rich. So yeah u should get it dyno tune if you have the cash, if not don't be dribing to far or to hard yet. I had to drive around for 2 week looking for a dyno shop. AFter extensive research and talk ing to like 4 forum on apexi SAFC tuning, I was able to get a rough base tuning done, but it still an half ass. Not everyone understand it hard to find a shop with dyno for some area. There no shop within 1hours of where I live have a dyno. I have to look in another state VA, and it 2 and a half hour away. Dyno tune shop don't appear around every corner like mcdonald, some people are lucky to have a them nearby, while other are like finding a real type R car in he US. Many shop are small bolt on shop and lack experience in engine swap, turbo setup and tuning.

That Give me an Idea, Why don't we have a sticky where people all over the US name good shop in their state that they recommend, so at least other will have places to go to get thing done. STill looking for a good tunning shop in Maryland
                        90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                        < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                        X