Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

compression and rpms? f22ax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression and rpms? f22ax

Ok well im looking to start researching to rebuild my f22a1 that i pulled from my 91....

So i want a motor that revs like 8k or so and can do so reliably

Also whats the most compression im going to be able to run safely on 91 octane this will be in my DD so i cant need to use anything better then pump premium...

What allows the motor to be able to rev harder??

Click it.... You know you wanna
    Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
    Ok well im looking to start researching to rebuild my f22a1 that i pulled from my 91....

So i want a motor that revs like 8k or so and can do so reliably

Also whats the most compression im going to be able to run safely on 91 octane this will be in my DD so i cant need to use anything better then pump premium...

What allows the motor to be able to rev harder??
    A lighter rotating assembly and valvetrain lets you rev easier. Also, generally a shorter stroke. You could destroke the f22a and bore it out so the geometry is the same as the H22. That would allow you to rev more...leaving a longer stroke will net you more torque though. 11:1 would be a very safe compression ratio for a DD.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      A lighter rotating assembly and valvetrain lets you rev easier. Also, generally a shorter stroke. You could destroke the f22a and bore it out so the geometry is the same as the H22. That would allow you to rev more...leaving a longer stroke will net you more torque though. 11:1 would be a very safe compression ratio for a DD.
      Thanks thats some useful info...

Now can i get a good revving engine without destroking by getting stronger rods and knife edging balancing the crank??

Whats the biggest rev limit for the f22 is it the head or the rotating assembly?

Comment

Thanks thats some useful info...

Now can i get a good revving engine without destroking by getting stronger rods and knife edging balancing the crank??

Whats the biggest rev limit for the f22 is it the head or the rotating assembly?
        Lightweight flywheel, balance shaft elimination, forged pistons(lighter), knife edging and balancing the crank, lighter rods will all help you rev better. You could rev to 8k with a f22a's stock geometry without much effort. In stock form, the whole motor is the rev limit lol. The camshaft isn't aggressive enough, and the compression is pretty low.

Comment

You could just buy a JDM Honda Accord Si engine. F20a DOHC. It's got a much smaller stroke than the F22, higher compression 9:5:1, more power output, and it's a dual cam. Can't really go wrong there.

But since we are talking F22a, I'd recommend 11:1 compression for a DD as well. The valve train plays a role in how hard you can rev.
          R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
            You could just buy a JDM Honda Accord Si engine. F20a DOHC. It's got a much smaller stroke than the F22, higher compression 9:5:1, more power output, and it's a dual cam. Can't really go wrong there.

But since we are talking F22a, I'd recommend 11:1 compression for a DD as well. The valve train plays a role in how hard you can rev.

So a cam... im guessing springs/retainers..... will all help the head rev higher....

Im looking to get some good power and i love the feeling of revving the motor hard so id like it not to kill the motor....

So i need to strengthen and lighten the bottom end to get revs...

11:1 compression seems to be the good number which is a good bump from stock 8:8:1 lol

Now in order to hold the bottom end im going to need rods and forged pistons... obviously im gonna want better oil pump and water pump...

Now the top end needs to be lightened/strenthened or what?

As to the DOHC comment if i was to buy another motor id go with a dual cam but as i have an f22a and its a good platform id like to stick with that

Comment

Go to BISI, he is a sponsor here, to get the cam gear and get the head port and polished. That, plus what you mentioned should get you what you want. Or just consult Bisi himself, he'll steer you in the right direction. good luck with your build.

Comment

Yeah this motor will be a rolling bisi advertisement haha... i plan on his valve springs and cam stuff...

But the porting is whats gonna kill me....

To get say 250 n/a hp streetable is this a reasonable goal on 91 octane?

Comment

How much money do you have?

Comment

well i had 400 in the build fund... but an ignition mystery cost me all of that....

Right now im just doing some research

Comment

The F22 is a worthwhile build, but it certainly isn't the cheapest. Talk to Hondafan or look at his White project to get an idea of what a 250HP F22 is going to require.
                      1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

you're going to need around 3 grand to complete something major. im already into 1300 just for the bottom end and doing my own machine work. cylinder head parts are going to be another 1k just in parts.

you ought think about the project now or just quit.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yeah i know its not gonna be cheap but the motor is a spare and my accord motor is healthy so im in huge hurry

Comment

Yeah i know its not gonna be cheap but the motor is a spare and my accord motor is healthy so im in huge hurry
                            Hone the cylinders and drop in JDM F22B pistons...I believe they work. Then, get a H23 intake manifold, a lightweight flywheel, delete the balance shafts, get a stage 2 cam with new valve springs & retainers. Then intake, exhaust, header. Happy car. 180whp with a tune no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                              Hone the cylinders and drop in JDM F22B pistons...I believe they work. Then, get a H23 intake manifold, a lightweight flywheel, delete the balance shafts, get a stage 2 cam with new valve springs & retainers. Then intake, exhaust, header. Happy car. 180whp with a tune no problem.

Yeah im gonna go all out if im gonna spend the money i might as well try to hit my 200-250whp goal....

Im seriously concerned about how hard its gonna be to get 250whp on a streetable cam though

Comment

Working...
                              X