Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How much can an a6 head be milled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much can an a6 head be milled?

well guys, I'm probably going to go all motor until I build for turbo. I'm going with the delta 272 regrind ($115+ shipping- the price went up! ) and going to mill my head to bump compression. I've heard that I should only mill it .030" at the most. I've seen a stock ls head milled .060" and had no clearance problems. Is it possible to mill more than .030" for the F22 to get a higher CR? BTW, I'll be running stock bottom end and valvetrain. What are your opinions?
    Former Ride:
    93 Accord Coupe
    Jdm H22 w/ LSD
    Type S pistons and cams

New Ride:
    Bone stock 99 2.3CL
    Black on Black Leather
    5spd

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn."
    C. S. Lewis

if your going turbo dont mill the head . . . i mean . . . unless you want to buy low CR pistons or buy a new head to lower the comp back to stock (which is like perfect for turbos . . . . )
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

any compression is good for turbos, its all in the tuning, that why ppl run away from high compression when dealing with turbo, its more complicated to tune, thats all.

as far as milling the head, find out first how much .030" would do to ur compression and then go from there. i wouldnt get a compression higher than 9.5, i think thats good enuf, for me anyway. then, when it comes to turbo, u can just get some h23 8.0:1 cr pistons and call it a day, well, if thats all u wana do, i guess.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by jdmcord
        any compression is good for turbos, its all in the tuning, that why ppl run away from high compression when dealing with turbo, its more complicated to tune, thats all.

as far as milling the head, find out first how much .030" would do to ur compression and then go from there. i wouldnt get a compression higher than 9.5, i think thats good enuf, for me anyway. then, when it comes to turbo, u can just get some h23 8.0:1 cr pistons and call it a day, well, if thats all u wana do, i guess.
        unless you want to run race gas on teh street then i would avoid a high compression turbo set-up
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

u can make ur own race gas, its not hard. and like i said, i wouldnt suggest running over 9.5:1 compression, just to be on the safe side of things. just, always take ur time on tuning the car, and dont cheap out on tuning parts. u'll pay in the end, and so will ur car.

Comment

k, after a few math problems and lots of reading, ive come to a conclusion, getin a thinner head gasket is a lot safer than millin the head, or so say the techs at h-t. a thinner HG would have the same effect as milling the head, but its a lot safer, duh. and if ur still now happy with ur results after the thinner HG, then mill the head like .010", and and should a good cr bump. o, and i found that milling the head .030" will give u a compression of ~9.2:1, i had to do some rounding, so its not accurate.

Comment

My F22ax head was milled by DH Racing .020" , he has 16 years of Honda experience.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

do u know ur compression with the whole set up?

Comment

I don't plan on going turbo with this motor. This is just a fun project while i build my turbo motor. My concern isn't with the compression being too high because i want to bump compression significantly by milling the head. a forum member @ nonvtec.com says that milling .030" will bump it to 9.3:1. I'm trying to get the cr in the high nines or maybe low tens with out new pistons. I'm just seeing if anyone has had experience in milling more than .030". Thanks for the feedback already guys
                  Former Ride:
                  93 Accord Coupe
                  Jdm H22 w/ LSD
                  Type S pistons and cams

New Ride:
                  Bone stock 99 2.3CL
                  Black on Black Leather
                  5spd

C. S. Lewis

Comment

well, i am am going the piston rought, expensive but very affective.... on F22parts.com u can buy forged pistons from 8.5:1 compression to 17:1 compression, so i am ganna replace the head gasket (OEM), and then i am going with a 11:1 compression piston set, rebuilt OEM bottom end, micropolished crank, 282 Delta cam ( a little hotter than the 272), socketed and chipped ECU for tuning, and basic ported H23 IM, TB, then AEM cold air for prelude, Megan header with modified 2 1/2 inch collector, 2 1/2 inch CAT, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust with one APEX N1 style muffler... very affective setup.. rest goes towards drivetrain...

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

Not to be a jerk, but can we stick to the topic please.
                      Former Ride:
                      93 Accord Coupe
                      Jdm H22 w/ LSD
                      Type S pistons and cams

New Ride:
                      Bone stock 99 2.3CL
                      Black on Black Leather
                      5spd

C. S. Lewis

Comment

he's really not off topic, he's just stating the route he's going, since u want a higher cr, but the harder way, and he is gettin it the easier way. remember, cheap does not equal reliable, cuz sure, u can get ur head milled for around 30-50 bux, but if u dont know what issues its gona cause, and how to fix them, ur gona fuck up ur engine. u do know that its gona affect the timing right?

Comment

High comp pistons, turbo, etc etc are off topic, here's what's on topic, Head milling, Claying, Cams.. Timing is fixed with a timing gear (1 degree advance for every .012 milled), and milling the head for cheap and easy compression is not at all a new or crazy idea.

A lot of people i know have their heads milled to add some compression. A friend of mine has an LS that keeps up with GSR's with just I/H/E and the head milled .040. Another friend of mine has an LS/VTEC with 11:1 pistons, his b16 head is milled .050 (GSR cams.....no clearance problems). My GSR head is milled .030 with ITR cams (stock c/r is 10.6:1....again no clearance problems)

Although no one has apparantly tried it, I'm pretty convinced that there will be no clearance problems with milling the F22a head .050 on the stock 8.8:1 compression ratio. However, it's always, always necessary to clay the motor. If there's not enough clearance (unlikely IMO) just use a layer or two from a stock head gasket. In the end you will have a more useable compression ratio for a mild n/a build.

Here's the question that needs to be answered. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE milling an F22a head more than .030 or claying an F22a?
                          Last edited by hatchninja; 09-13-2005, 05:30 PM.
                          H.S.A.E.

90 CRX Si - gutted, caged, Bisi F2d kit, close ratio LSD trans, F22A6 - under construction

99 civic LX - y8 head and trans, lowered, blowing cold AC, and getting 35mpg.

Comment

Here's an idea. Take off the head...remove the HG, put the head back on and clay the motor for clearances....the stock HG thickness is appx .030, that will give you a rough idea of how much you can or can't mill.
                            H.S.A.E.

90 CRX Si - gutted, caged, Bisi F2d kit, close ratio LSD trans, F22A6 - under construction

99 civic LX - y8 head and trans, lowered, blowing cold AC, and getting 35mpg.

Comment

Working...
                            X