Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

boring and milling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boring and milling

i know about pnp and what not, but wat does boring and milling constist of?

Old Ride-New Ride

milling the head is to shave metal off to raise compression. boring has to do with the cylinder walls and is more of a v8 thing unless you sleeve. i'll let other elaborate.

Comment

Neither is recommended for the F22. Resleeve always seems to be the best choice on honda blocks. As for milling the head, do not get greedy with it.

Comment

You can bore the cylinders on ANY engine, regardless of how many of them there are. The only thing that matters is if there's going to be enough metal left over when you're done. As AcclipseH23 said, the F22 doesn't have any to spare in its stock sleeves, so...hello Darton.

Comment

well im swaping to an h22 ..........but i wasnt really lookin to do it i just wanted to find out wat it ment
          Last edited by Mike; 09-20-2005, 09:38 PM.

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
            You can bore the cylinders on ANY engine, regardless of how many of them there are. The only thing that matters is if there's going to be enough metal left over when you're done. As AcclipseH23 said, the F22 doesn't have any to spare in its stock sleeves, so...hello Darton.
            You can bore F22s to 86mm, which would reduce the cylinder sleeves by 0.5" per side or leave you with approx. 2.5mm thick sleeves. Arias makes a 86mm off-shelf piston and on the westcoast it's common knowledge.

Sometimes milling is needed to resurface a head depending on how bad the mating surface is, not just for a bump in compression.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Interesting, didn't know that...I'd still be leary of that though. I'd choose to just get aftermarket sleeves instead of playing with the stockers like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                Interesting, didn't know that...I'd still be leary of that though. I'd choose to just get aftermarket sleeves instead of playing with the stockers like that.
                I'm going 86mm bore on my F22 allmotor build up. I think the F22 needs more credit than people tend to give it. Many haven't even cared to get into it and just install swaps or do basic bolt-ons, never progressing any further. IMO, people tend to dog this engine without giving it a chance, then claim it isn't worth sh*t when they don't know themselves. How can you when you don't explore it?

Comment

i have no idea about boring so i won't say anyting about it.
                  everytime someone does a head gasket they take the head to a machine shop to clean the surface/mill the head.
                  most people have taken this further. i have asked around and talked to some people who work in a speed shop and or machine shop and they all agree.
                  u should mill the head to .45 on the f22 to be on the safe side. it will raise the compresing by hmmmm well u do the math. u can mill the head more but u will be in uncharted territory.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

.45"? damn, that a little bit too much there. maybe u meant .045"? but that would raise it over 9.5:1, since .030 raises it to about ~9.2, but yea, u do the math if ur really interested, cuz if u really want to do this, then u should take the time to figure out how much of a bump ur gona get with any given amount of material shaven off.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

seriously.. hey cisco, i started my F22 buil;d up, me and u were talking about it awhile ago, i dont know if u remember or not, anyways, i am ganna run stock pistons and shave the head .065 and the reason for this is A, compression and B, it will put me where i need to be for the 282 regrind.. but again..
                      since this build up is a very high compression build up i need to find 10.8:1 compression pistons (so my compression will be around 11.8:1 or so) that way i can really make that cam use its potential, and i am tuning on Uberdata so i dont think ill have any problems... alright im out.. but ya, on the setup, run like .060 or less because the real way compression should be gained is through pistons.... so u call it but that is the safer way.. peace-

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        I'm going 86mm bore on my F22 allmotor build up. I think the F22 needs more credit than people tend to give it. Many haven't even cared to get into it and just install swaps or do basic bolt-ons, never progressing any further. IMO, people tend to dog this engine without giving it a chance, then claim it isn't worth sh*t when they don't know themselves. How can you when you don't explore it?
                        That's not what I said. What I said, is that I, personally, would not feel comfortable boring the stock F22 sleeves (especially if I was going to put any significant amount power on it) and would rather go for aftermarket sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                          u should mill the head to .45 on the f22 to be on the safe side. it will raise the compresing by hmmmm well u do the math.
                          how do you do the math? anyone have a useful website to help with this??

Comment

if u get confused on the part where he got 59.91cc, dont wrry, i did too, but he did something wrong, it should be diff.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=438456

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by jdmcord
                              if u get confused on the part where he got 59.91cc, dont wrry, i did too, but he did something wrong, it should be diff.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=438456
                              our F22 stock heads are 50.5 cc...so if you mill the head, you would have less volume, not more...which would slightly raise your compression

Comment

Working...
                              X