Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

P28 ECU on an NA H22A results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's been allot of posts here that have covered allot that I've missed. Here is my take on everything.

If you are building an engine for turbo then you will obviously need to break it in before boosting. You can get the engine built with some quick set rings that will seat within about 500 miles. You can either, A: run the car with the OEM header till the breakin is done, or B: Run the vehicle with the Turbo on it and etc. but with the waste gate open so the intake see's no boost.

About engine management which seems to be your largest concern you have a few options. All require a Dyno. You have:

- AEM EMS
    - Hondata either a s100b (b for boost) or s200b.

The s200b is the closest to the AEM EMS you can get both systems are top notch products. The AEM includes and autotune feature and I believe the Hondata does also. Basically it builds a base tune on what inputs it receives fro mthe sensors. I've seen the AEM work and it makes a decent tune to make the car driveable.

For either system a V-AFC is not needed and not recommended as the stand alone (EMS/Hondata) will have full control over the engines behavior.

You can run your engine with up to 6lbs. of boost on the original engine management however I wouldn't recommend it for a long period of time. But for a short drive to your Dyno no big deal. Unless you have the cash then just tow it.

You could also go with your OEM ECU for example a P28 chipped with a good tune and then use piggy backs like the V-AFC, Greedy Profec Boost controller, etc. That would also work.

I'm currently doing a Turbo on my brother's SOHC Vtec CRX where I'm chipping his P08 (JDM P28) with a program written by RPT to run a D16Z6 (He has a D15B but it's basically the same) at 8lbs. of boost. Then I'm going to use a V-AFC and a Profec as piggy backs and of course configure them on the Dyno.

It would be nice to have either AEM EMS or Hondata but for 8lb.s these will do the job fine and are not as expensive. They are also more understood because they're use is so universal.
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Wow, I'm gonna frame all that ^

Quoted from BustedLX:

"The s200b is the closest to the AEM EMS you can get both systems are top notch products. The AEM includes and autotune feature and I believe the Hondata does also. Basically it builds a base tune on what inputs it receives fro mthe sensors. I've seen the AEM work and it makes a decent tune to make the car driveable. "

1) How would you use the "autotune" feature on the Hondata system? Does this required you to have the software as well on your laptop or something like that? Please elaborate.

2) What's the setup of a Hondata system? Is it a fully reprogrammed ECU? Do they put in their own chip? Again, elaborate.

3) If you do need the software w/the Hondata system...how much we talking all together?

Thanks...just want to learn, this is the stuff that's really important and I want to fully understand.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Ok... Lots of stuff I hadn't even considered here! HondaFan81 is doing a fine job of asking the right questions, it seems.

To take the focus off of turbo for just a second, I would like to know how much those chipped p28s were. The specs Acclude91 gave in the first post here sound exactly like what I would like.

Comment

Good deal. I might consider getting one of those...

Now, back to the turbo stuff (even though it really doesn't belong in the N/A section! I'm learning way too much to want it to stop!)

Comment

Hondata in most cases is a P28 chipped with a special eprom, a connector, and jumper that goes to the "blue box". You'll find out everything you need to on Hondata's website like fizzbob7 said.
            Last edited by BustedLX; 09-12-2003, 07:03 PM.
            My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Now, back to the turbo stuff (even though it really doesn't belong in the N/A section! I'm learning way too much to want it to stop!)

^ I know, I thought about that today, but hey...what can ya do...it started on NA, tuning in general, then tuning on turbo...it was prolly my fault...oh well

Comment

yea, thanks for the info BustedLX and Fizzbob < liked what you had to say last. I'll check out the Hondata site...been there once but never checked it out fully, basically located a Hondata place/dyno tuner near me.....it's like 1.5 hr away and the guy that owns it graduated from my college...Kettering!! Ya hear that Aero3685!!

Comment

n e idea what the email is to this place? I have an address but no email

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

What place? The one in Troy Michigan near me?

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                      What place? The one in Troy Michigan near me?
                      yeah

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

It's called Payn Technologies located in Troy, Michigan. I never been there yet personally, but will sometime. I've met the owner at an import show in Detroit.

They have a website, do a Google search for it. I forget what it is exactly. They are a Hondata dealer and have a dyno even capable of handling all-wheel drive cars.

Comment

Working...
                        X