Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

build up of JDM F20B DOHC VTEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More progress

That's not supposed to be in there!

Originally posted by Darkcloud
    Wimp go low or go home haha
    Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
    Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

Dam dude, how did that timing mount threads break like that, was it like an 800hp engine? That piece of metal doesn't look great either. Its gonna take a lot of good work piecing that engine back together. Good luck man.

I just got done with a little engine build of my own and about ready to crank if over. Hope it works out for a newb like me.
      “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
      ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
        Dam dude, how did that timing mount threads break like that, was it like an 800hp engine? That piece of metal doesn't look great either. Its gonna take a lot of good work piecing that engine back together. Good luck man.

I just got done with a little engine build of my own and about ready to crank if over. Hope it works out for a newb like me.
        I think it broke because the mount only had two bolts in it but my friends dad is gonna weld it back together for me. The metal peice looks to be part of an Allen wrench lucky the screen in the oil pick up stopped it. Everything else looks really good though.
        Good luck with your build hope it starts right up!

Comment

Originally posted by c91bse7 View Post
          I think it broke because the mount only had two bolts in it but my friends dad is gonna weld it back together for me. The metal peice looks to be part of an Allen wrench lucky the screen in the oil pick up stopped it. Everything else looks really good though.
          Good luck with your build hope it starts right up!
          It did and it runs good but my speed sensor is brokeded. I ordere another for $7 like last time. Seems that everytime I remove my engine it breaks. Must be a Honda thing. even the OEM one I had broke that way. Probably the most important piece for any tuner though is the speed sensor, lol.

So you going to put in in a civic? Good choice. Much better to put a 2.0 in there than a 2.2 or 2.3. It'll be more stable I believe.

Your friends dad knows how to TIG weld? That's cool, wish I had connections like that.

I'd get the balance shaft elimination kit. I did and it was worth every penny.

Good luck with this. Engine work can be some of the most labor intensive and difficult work out there, and its no wonder mechanics get payed so much. I realized that over a year ago.
          “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
          ― Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Comment

Yeah I'll be putting this in my civic, I'll be using an h2b kit so I can't utilize the b16 transmission I picked up not long ago. With that kit it uses all the b series stuff so no special axles or expensive mounts are needed.
            Yeah 192 hp should be fun in this car, weighs in at 2300 pounds I believe maybe a little less as I've removed some interior pieces

Yeah I planned on getting the balance shaft delete kit and the ks timing belt tensioner
            This is my first real engine rebuild, I've taken a few apart but never put it back together so I'm taking it nice and slow, my friends are helping as well so everything should turn out ok. Also doing a lot of research to figure out what parts and pieces I can use from is cars on this engine

Comment

Yeah I'll be putting this in my civic, I'll be using an h2b kit so I can't utilize the b16 transmission I picked up not long ago. With that kit it uses all the b series stuff so no special axles or expensive mounts are needed.
              Yeah 192 hp should be fun in this car, weighs in at 2300 pounds I believe maybe a little less as I've removed some interior pieces

Yeah I planned on getting the balance shaft delete kit and the ks timing belt tensioner
              This is my first real engine rebuild, I've taken a few apart but never put it back together so I'm taking it nice and slow, my friends are helping as well so everything should turn out ok. Also doing a lot of research to figure out what parts and pieces I can use from is cars on this engine
              If you plan on taking that motor up anywhere near 8k (And with a b16 trans, oh you will I assure you) i'd suggest doing the kaizenspeed kit before slapping it all back together, the upped Oil Pressure and lightening of the rotational assembly will do wonders.

I'd also look into upgrading the Oil Pump, just for the benefit of the doubt seeing as these motors tend to run into starvation issues under load and G forces (Turning, braking, ect--Oil slooshes around in the pan and even a moment without oil can DONE your set up) and a better pump and Pick up can alleviate that.

Looks nice so far, I 220's gonna require some work tho, you doing pistons and headwork?

Comment

Originally posted by TheProfessional View Post
                If you plan on taking that motor up anywhere near 8k (And with a b16 trans, oh you will I assure you) i'd suggest doing the kaizenspeed kit before slapping it all back together, the upped Oil Pressure and lightening of the rotational assembly will do wonders.

I'd also look into upgrading the Oil Pump, just for the benefit of the doubt seeing as these motors tend to run into starvation issues under load and G forces (Turning, braking, ect--Oil slooshes around in the pan and even a moment without oil can DONE your set up) and a better pump and Pick up can alleviate that.

Looks nice so far, I 220's gonna require some work tho, you doing pistons and headwork?
                Yeah I'll be doing the ks balance shaft delete, I actually don't have much of a choice the balance shafts actually hit the frame rail with the h2b setup. Also have to run a shaved crank pulley or a single row whichever I can find.

I will actually be modifying the oil pan and adding a baffle to help with the oil sloshing. The pan and pick up need modified to work with the h2b as the engine normally sits at a 15 degree angle and now it's more straight
                This is from my old h22 but shows just what a little low oil pressure will do

For now I just wanna get it in and running, then I'll start collecting parts and see if I can't hit that 220hp mark. Shouldn't need much bottom end work to get that number. Maybe forged rods just to be safe it that's down the road a ways.

Comment

Yeah I'll be doing the ks balance shaft delete, I actually don't have much of a choice the balance shafts actually hit the frame rail with the h2b setup. Also have to run a shaved crank pulley or a single row whichever I can find.

I will actually be modifying the oil pan and adding a baffle to help with the oil sloshing. The pan and pick up need modified to work with the h2b as the engine normally sits at a 15 degree angle and now it's more straight
                  This is from my old h22 but shows just what a little low oil pressure will do

For now I just wanna get it in and running, then I'll start collecting parts and see if I can't hit that 220hp mark. Shouldn't need much bottom end work to get that number. Maybe forged rods just to be safe it that's down the road a ways.
                  That doesn't look good at all. That poor oil pump.

My question is why you wanna put that in a civic and not a cb7
                  After all this is a 4th gen accord site.

Keep up the work, but don't overlook anything. Be meticulous and this is sure to be a good motor. I'm a bit skeptical as to how you're gonna actually make 220 at the wheels. You're gonna need fuel pump, injectors, a heavy clutch, and a super good tune. Not that I know jack about any of those things lol.
                  Last edited by Mishakol129; 05-21-2014, 03:21 AM.
                  ― Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
                    That doesn't look good at all. That poor oil pump.

My question is why you wanna put that in a civic and not a cb7
                    After all this is a 4th gen accord site.

Keep up the work, but don't overlook anything. Be meticulous and this is sure to be a good motor. I'm a bit skeptical as to how you're gonna actually make 220 at the wheels. You're gonna need fuel pump, injectors, a heavy clutch, and a super good tune. Not that I know jack about any of those things lol.

The answer to why a civic and not my accord is because my accord is auto and would be a waste of this fine engine. Had this thread not been started by fatboy1185 I wouldn't really be posting about it but since it's here why not.

It was making 192 at the wheels in fatboys car with bolt ons, 220 is roughly 30 hp. With cams , better intake , quality exhaust manifold and a good tune should get it pretty close. Fuel pump and bigger injectors would be a must. Stock or stage 1 clutch would be more then enough.

Comment

The answer to why a civic and not my accord is because my accord is auto and would be a waste of this fine engine. Had this thread not been started by fatboy1185 I wouldn't really be posting about it but since it's here why not.

It was making 192 at the wheels in fatboys car with bolt ons, 220 is roughly 30 hp. With cams , better intake , quality exhaust manifold and a good tune should get it pretty close. Fuel pump and bigger injectors would be a must. Stock or stage 1 clutch would be more then enough.
                      Kudos man. Honestly if I had to pick i'd always throw these motors in a civic, the lighter chasis? Power to weight outta this world. The only H-Swapped CB7 I still own is my Stroker (2.7), my other two are J swapped, I feel the day and age of H swapping or building up F-Motors to go into CB7's are done. Out of the box performance of a J-Series motor and relative ease of insertion ontop of the minimal cost those things go for these days...make it well worth it, I have ZERO complaints after getting mine in.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and lemmie know if you need anything, I have a single row pulley and a boat load of H and F Series parts left over for sale, transmissions, all that.

Comment

OT: Do the J's physically fit in the cb's bay? Height wise of course.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

All welded up and ready to be put back together

Comment

Working...
                          X