Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Summer F22 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer F22 Project

This summer I plan on taking out my F22 and doing a few things to it, then put it back in. That way I can fulfill one of my 'life goals' which is swap a motor by my 18th birthday. I know this isn't exactly swapping, but it is close. At this point I am not ready to get rid of my F22A1, because I think it is still a great motor. It runs great I do not have any qualms about the motor. I may have an ignition problem, but that is somewhat unrelated. Anyways this thread is going to outline what I plan to do, and when time comes and I have collected all my parts I am going to do it. I am shooting for early to mid June, and for all the labor to take 1-1.5 weeks from the first turn of the wrench, to turning the key and getting it running.

Here are the parts plan:
    *New OEM Timing Belt, balancer belt, water pump
    *Replace all seals on timing side of motor
    *New clutch, hopefully something somewhat affordable, maybe a full kevlar clutch
    *Lightened flywheel somewhere in the 9-12 lbs range
    *OEM Throwout bearing
    *Rear main seal
    *Delta 260 cam regrind
    *H23 intake manifold
    *Some after market 4-2-1 header
    *New oil pan gasket
    *New Radiator/hoses
    *Bisimoto engineering adjustable cam gear
    *Chipped P06, and Dyno tuned sometime after (chime in about tuning options/programs whatever)

Basically you can see my goal is to replace some stuff, and get some more performance over the stock F22A1 stuff. I plan on getting a baseline dyno run sometime soon. Whenever I catch a shop having a dyno day I guess.

At this point I am not going to remove the head unless it becomes necessary, I still need to check compression on the cylinders.

This stuff will get me started, and sometime after this "build" is done I plan on pulling it all apart to build the block some, and put in some high compression pistons.

Feel free to post up dos/don'ts, suggestions on parts, whatever.
    Last edited by The G-Man; 01-21-2007, 02:21 PM.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

(reserved for future use)
    Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

*reserved*
      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

-reserved-
        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

For when you go higher compression later, I'd find another F22 block and build it up on the side, so you have a driveable car meanwhile. Also, keep in mind that you'll need new front engine seals, full timing belt package on the new motor as well.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Our Level 1 camshaft would be a great enhancement to your project, G.
            'Bisimoto D15/D16/F18/F22
            World's Fastest and Quickest TRUE unibody all motor FWD
            World's Fastest All Motor SOHC Honda
            1988 CRX Unibody, D16 full street: 12.68 @ 107mph
            1988 CRX Unibody, D15 full race: 10.77 @ 123mph
            1988 CRX Unibody, F22A full race: 9.81 @ 139mph
            2006 Insight Unibody, F22A: 9.26 @ 152mph
            NEW!:www.bisimoto.com: parts, dyno tuning, apparel, technology!
            Bisimoto's Facebook page
            478 HP naturally aspirated F22A!!!

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking of the spare block idea. I was also thinking phenolic intake manifold gasket/spacer too.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Port and Polish is Key!

Why not do a street port and polish while you have the motor out? Adding the cam is a good idea but, you won't get the full potential out of it unless you P&P along with the Cam Gear and ECU upgrade you mentioned already. I will be doing the same thing that you are doing starting next month, I have my MOM's F22B2 from her '97 Accord SE laying around.

Good luck on your PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There doesnt seem to be that much left to do with this motor. Ahh well do you plan no investing anything really serious into this project. What about going with a bit more major mods?

Comment

honestly if i was you, i would just find another f22 longblock and start building it.don't just go ripping shit apart because you want a swap before you turn 18.

for me yeah it was fun doing the swap i was 17 and proud i did it...but thinking about it that was 1500-1700 i could of used for a turbo kit to run on low psi and then find another motor to build and run higher psi.
                    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Well as you can see a big part of it is to replace the timing belt and such as by the time summer comes around I will be needing this. I also plan to take a cross country trip at the end of this summer in the CB7 and I would like it running at top shape before I drive it 5,000 miles over the course of 2 weeks. Plans may change and I may just take it out, do the clutch/flywheel and intake manifold and save the other stuff for another block/head that I can keep and build up. I also added to the list new radiator/hoses to the list.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

this would be better fit in technical since none is this is performance orientated. mostly maintenance.

Either way, if you're gona be messing with the head, just take it to a machine shop and get it worked on. even if its just for a resurface, that will give SOME "umph" since it is decreasing the chamber volume.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

At this point I won't be taking the head off. But I think picking up a spare F22A longblock could be done easily, and built fairly soon. Possibly putting me in a port & polished head with 12:1 compression pistons by next winter. The focus of this thread may change.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

this sounds like a reasonable goal. but wouldn't you want to make the most of having your motor OUT of your ride??? don't let me sound like a dick, good luck bro. btw a header, h23 im and a 260 regrind fall under performance mods in my book, don't they in yours? cause if they didn't why do people do them?
                            hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

What do you mean make the most out of having the motor out?

One of the main reasons I want to take it out is to make stuff easier like a clutch and timing belt job.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X