Steering Rack Bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack Bushings?

Any companies make poly bushings? I'm replacing the rack and noticed that from what I've seen, Energy Suspension only makes them for civics/integras. I'd like to put in some fresh polyurethane bushings to get more feel in the steering since I'm used to not having powersteering. The steering on accords just doesn't have as much feedback to it as I like. Plus why not if it is going to be all apart anyway.

From memory, CB7 Accords have no rack bushings, the rack housing bolts 'hard' to the subframe.

For improved weight, feel, response, straight line stability, steered camber gain, I'd suggest increasing caster angle as much as possible. This isn't particularly easy, but very worthwhile.
    Last edited by johnl; 03-16-2008, 03:46 AM.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

7- seems like they're so small they wouldn't make that big of a difference

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
        [IMG]7- seems like they're so small they wouldn't make that big of a difference
        That's why I don't recall seeing any, they're tiny and hidden! From the just looking at it the rack looks solidly bolted to the subframe at the pinion side. I was thinking of rack bushings that looked like '1'.

Any play in the rack mounting will affect the steering precision to some degree, but I don't know if replacing those in some manner with solid bushes would make a noticable difference (?).
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

they got them on civics. if the civic one will fit then we should be good. just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord
            they got them on civics. if the civic one will fit then we should be good. just a suggestion
            What are the chances the bushings are the same on civics? Anybody have a clue. They're not expensive but I don't want to make this a complete failed purchase.

Comment

Heres what I was looking at. From the pics it looks similar to the honda diagram posted above.
              http://www.jegs.com/p/Energy+Suspens...10551/-1/10855

Comment

88-91 civic

92-95 civic

Accord

96+ Civic

There is the civic and accord gear boxes. Looks close but I'm not sure.
                Last edited by F22HB; 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hmm...think it's close enough to be able to make it work? eh?
                  Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I think I'll just buy this and let you guys know. If it doesn't fit my freind will buy it off me. Either way for 16 shipped it is worth it.
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENERG...3756.m20.l1116

To replace #'s 1 and 7 in the accord diagram.

Comment

random question, where'd you get the rack? i need a new one :o
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I have a half rebuilt-one in my shed and some of the left over parts if you want them...I think I was missing a part needed and I lost momentum and gave up. I was gonna put it in my 90 which I just sold recently. Shipping is the only bitch, I'll sell it cheap

lmk
                        /shameless plug

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I was gonna grab the cheap one form autozone. $180 after core is returned, plus I have a $25 gift card.
                          No way in hell I'm dealing with any of the local junkyards for this item.
                          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

FWIW, I was under my car yesterday, and out of curiosity wanted to see how 'loose' the stock rubber rack bushes were. I pried in the rack this way and that (up / down / sideways) with a pry bar and couldn't make it move noticably in any direction, with the exception of some very slight vertical motion at the passenger side bush. The stock mounting seems pretty firm.
                            Regards from Oz,
                            John.

Comment

Oh well. I need every bit of firmness I can get and side to side is what it is there to strengthen. I just need more feedback and response from the p/s and like I said. I'll have it apart. For 15 bux why not. Oh, and I got the rack from napa. It was... 250$, ouch, but I really trust napa and don't ever want to deal with it again. Not to mention it is a steering rack. I would hate to see it fail in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X