Haunting suspension problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haunting suspension problem

Ok so my lower mileage-cb7 winter-beater is exhibiting signs of the problem i never conquered on my race cb7.
    The car rides and drives fine, but when in gear, if the gas is let off, and applied again, a click/knock can be heard coming from what sounds like either wheel well. The sound almost sounds like if i were to have a bad ball joint.

now here's the problem with that. Over the last 2 months, i have replaced (on both sides)
    •Upper Ball joints/control arms
    •Lower ball joints
    •wheel bearings
    •pads and rotors

and there's still a little shimmy when i step on the brakes (usually indicative of warped rotors)

There is a notable shutter of the wheel from the outside of the car if you're watching someone pop the clutch. The noise is most noticeable in reverse, where if you tap the brakes while backing up, you can hear it clunk every time.

I start a new job in 2 weeks that's 500 miles a week and i really need to figure this out. I put it up in the air, and can't find anything with any play in it, i even made sure everything was tight, i know how those upper control arm mounts can come loose.
    So where is my next place to look?? I don't know what else it could be at this point. Could bad struts be making this happen?
    The CB7 Timeline

Check your strut rod bushings. The strut rod is the rod that goes from the lower control arm to the chassis. (In the front)

PURCHASED NOVEMBER 1991. THAT'S RIGHT, I'M THE ONE AND ONLY OWNER. BEAT THAT!

Comment

i've got what seems to possibly be a similar problem. I got under the car and had someone spin the wheels and then stop quickly i noticed the click/clunk was coming from somewhere between the intermediate shaft and the transmission....

I am supposed to get an intermediate shaft tommorrow, if that dosn't solve it im afriad the problem may be the differential bearings inside the tranny.

I will post up what i find tommrow.
      Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Might be worth checking your radius rods are tight up the front. I've found one of them to be loose before. Also that the radius rod bushings are in good condition.

I've also had a friend notice a shudder in the wheel as I take off. This was a couple of years ago. Not sure if it still does it. Most of my quirks with the suspension/steering dissapeared with the new master bushing set.
        Members Ride Thread

Comment

Check all joints, wheel bearings, all front end bushings and sway bar endlinks.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I also had bad radius rod bushing causing a clunk. I replaced almost the entire front end trying to find it (the clunk).

There is a rod held to the lower control arm with two bolts. They are located directly under the outer axle boot just behind the lower strut mount. Follow this rod to the cross member just under the plastic cover under your front end. These bushings are very easy to replace. I would suggest energy suspension as mine are fab.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X