Spring Rates for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
    That's actually what I did for my car. 2.5" ID springs are what you're looking for.

I have 448/300. I'm gonna run 300/200 on Koni STR.Ts at about a 2 finger gap on stock tires (~13.5" from fender to wheel center in front, probably about 14-14 1/4" in the rear).

I get my springs from summitracing.com. After various trial and errors I've found the best spring lengths are about 7-8" in front (with a 4" sleeve) and 10" in the rear (w/a 4" sleeve). They have springs for $37 a corner which is PHENOMENAL for the price.
    well at leats im not the only one who wanted to do this. lol. thanx for your input man.

ima try some Tanabe springs then some Megan springs. the Tanabe's are $88 for a pair. ill try the 8k/fnt and 6k/rear and see how that goes. for the price, it shoudl be fine. plus i can always sell the springs if they dont work out

Comment

8k/6k is too stiff. Especially for chea... GR-2s. At the minimum get some HPs or Koni Oranges. 6k/4k is what you want. Even if u get them free, spending an afternoon changing springs twice is never worth it.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

8k/6k is too stiff. Especially for chea... GR-2s. At the minimum get some HPs or Koni Oranges. 6k/4k is what you want. Even if u get them free, spending an afternoon changing springs twice is never worth it.
        Oh yeah for sure. Shadow, I didn't realize you were going to use GR-2's with those spring rates. They won't be able to dampen a spring that stiff. 8k+ springs need to be paired with a Koni yellow or bilstein shock....or MAYBE tokico illuminas.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
          Oh yeah for sure. Shadow, I didn't realize you were going to use GR-2's with those spring rates. They won't be able to dampen a spring that stiff. 8k+ springs need to be paired with a Koni yellow or bilstein shock....or MAYBE tokico illuminas.
          didnt know the GR2s werent able to handle those spring rates. thanx guys. i think ill be picking up some Illuminas then.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
            didnt know the GR2s werent able to handle those spring rates. thanx guys. i think ill be picking up some Illuminas then.

Remember, GR-2s are stock replacements. I think you will be happy with Illuminas.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Remember, GR-2s are stock replacements. I think you will be happy with Illuminas.
              i think i will be. ive always wanted some adjustable struts. and im sure they wont blow being that im sitting up higher than the guy who i got the blown ones from. good thing is i only have to buy 3 of them. lol.

Comment

i think i will be. ive always wanted some adjustable struts. and im sure they wont blow being that im sitting up higher than the guy who i got the blown ones from. good thing is i only have to buy 3 of them. lol.
                U should really buy the full set so they wear together. It will prob cost the same, they always cost more individually.

Comment

U should really buy the full set so they wear together. It will prob cost the same, they always cost more individually.
                  true. but i looked around. the ONE that i have is perfect. nothing wrong with it at all. the 3 off of gripmotorsports.com cost me $346 shipped. as to the other sites where the lowest ive seen is about $450 shipped for all four id rather be able to buy them one by one because it wont put such a big dent into my check. but if i get the loan check im waiting for then ill be able to get all four at one time.

we'll see tho. if i get that check this week(or the beginning of next) then ill be good. it might just be the last set up i have for this car.

Comment

well about the illuminas not handling high rates.. well i am the one to try the 10k on illuminas was gonna try 16k since i have some 16k springs.. but anyway i think its been a month now of canyon and driving socal.. no problems.. shocks are still good like new.. i have 10k front and 8k rear now.. not good for dd but i love the ride.. it feels like its hopping on the freeway and it feels like it wants to jump in the air like my bros omnis on his civic..
                    MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
                    1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
                    1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

its better to have a soft spring and a stiff dampner for comfort that is. if your spring is too strong for your dampner you get a bouncy/harsh ride. form and function are usually 10k and 6k out the box and no one complains about them being too stiff or harsh. in fact ive nvr heard one negative thing said about them. and type 1's are only 600$ sooo u shoudl look into it.
                      frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                        its better to have a soft spring and a stiff dampner for comfort that is. if your spring is too strong for your dampner you get a bouncy/harsh ride. form and function are usually 10k and 6k out the box and no one complains about them being too stiff or harsh. in fact ive nvr heard one negative thing said about them. and type 1's are only 600$ sooo u shoudl look into it.
                        d112crzy shit all over FF1's

I definitely agree that soft springs + strong shocks are the way to go. The springs will just not transmit as much energy on impact and the shocks will better absorb them. Plus the car will feel more stable over low speed bumps and inspire confidence. I am on Illuminas now, and they're in OK shape; still work and everything, but 8/6k is TERRIBLE over bad road, PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7xTURBO View Post
                          well about the illuminas not handling high rates.. well i am the one to try the 10k on illuminas was gonna try 16k since i have some 16k springs.. but anyway i think its been a month now of canyon and driving socal.. no problems.. shocks are still good like new.. i have 10k front and 8k rear now.. not good for dd but i love the ride.. it feels like its hopping on the freeway and it feels like it wants to jump in the air like my bros omnis on his civic..

thats one thing i DONT want. bouncing all over the place on the highway. i might as well throw some ebay coilovers on with OEM struts.

$600 been looking at the Type Ones. wanted them for a while now. depending on how money goes, i might get them. IDK. but my friend has some Tanabe Sustec coilovers for $400 for me. i can get those and they have some springs on another site i can get if i dont like the spring rate.

Comment

thats one thing i DONT want. bouncing all over the place on the highway. i might as well throw some ebay coilovers on with OEM struts.
                            $600 been looking at the Type Ones. wanted them for a while now. depending on how money goes, i might get them. IDK. but my friend has some Tanabe Sustec coilovers for $400 for me. i can get those and they have some springs on another site i can get if i dont like the spring rate.
                            if u dont want bouncy then dont get the ebay coils cause thats all ull get. ull be bouncing around more than a clown car

fnf>all others for DD
                            fnf=sex
                            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

if u dont want bouncy then dont get the ebay coils cause thats all ull get. ull be bouncing around more than a clown car

fnf>all others for DD
                              fnf=sex
                              heck naw man. ive been on ebay coilovers for a while and JUST got some Skunk2 coilovers. they ride nicely on OEM struts. but they still bounce too much being that the OEM struts dont have good dampening at that low of a drop. but i plan on selling these and pairing some Megan Racing sleeves with some KYBs or Tokicos. not sure yet.

what i wanna do is get some pair of springs from both Tanabe and Megan Racing and test out the different spring rates from them and see which i like better. Tanabe has them for $88/pair. MR has them for $115/pair. im sure they'll fit on some regular sleeves.

Comment

heck naw man. ive been on ebay coilovers for a while and JUST got some Skunk2 coilovers. they ride nicely on OEM struts. but they still bounce too much being that the OEM struts dont have good dampening at that low of a drop. but i plan on selling these and pairing some Megan Racing sleeves with some KYBs or Tokicos. not sure yet.

what i wanna do is get some pair of springs from both Tanabe and Megan Racing and test out the different spring rates from them and see which i like better. Tanabe has them for $88/pair. MR has them for $115/pair. im sure they'll fit on some regular sleeves.
                                MR will be too stiff. I think they are 8/6K or somewhere in that range.

Summit Racing has springs for $74 a pair and their customer service is top notch. If you go with 300/200 you will be able to use the Koni STR.Ts or even possibly the Tokico HPs.

Comment

Working...
                                X