I need you guys opinions on suspension set-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need you guys opinions on suspension set-ups

I have been looking into getting some full coilovers or a spring/strut combo. This would be on my daily driver, I want something that is stiff but not a super harsh ride and also i would like it to be damper adjustable,but not completely necessary.

So far where I am is for spring and strut combo's:
    Koni super cup kit because all the good reviews about the combo and also the customer service which is important. And they also have "lifetime warranty."

And for Coilovers it's between:
    Nex GT's they have a 1 year warranty, and 4 way adjustable damper(i think) and the spring rates are 12k/6k. (Reviews are not on the sticky)

D2 RS they have a year year warranty also and are rebuildable in the U.S. but i don't know how much that would cost. Spring rates are 12/7k(not positive though) Reviews on the sticky state from one member "10/10" and that they are stiff. IMO i think 32 way adjustable is way to many but i wouldn't judge these out because of that.

Function and Form type 1's for both their price and because they are comparable to the type 2's just not damper adjustable. Spring rates for both are 12/6k (i think) I know a member on here is on some type 2's and enjoys them. Type 2's are roughly 200 dollars more.

Megan racing:14k/6k spring rates, 32 way adjustable damper, I'm sure they have good customer service, a 1 yr warranty like may other coilovers and also have heard good reviews on them.
    I have definitely spent my fair share of time going through all suspension threads and also the "what set-up are you running and how would you rate it" sticky. All input helps

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by 91cblx; 05-03-2010, 01:06 PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...13#post2872413

If you get a spring/shock combo, I wouldn't ride on anything but a Koni or Bilstein.

For full coilovers, I have also heard time and time again that D2's are very stiff. I haven't heard too many good things about ksports either, except from a few people. I know one member has Megan racing on his car and he loves them and they haven't had any issues...however, they are one of the stiffer spring rates. Function and form I hear nothing but good things about, and I've seen them on cars that go to the track, as well as cars that are riding around dumped with low offset wheels.

There is a rumor that many of these coilovers are all made in the same place though, so their internal construction is the same. If that is true, then the difference is the valving, spring rate, and their color lol. That is only a rumor though and I haven't seen any hard evidence.

I'm assuming you haven't ridden in a lowered cb7? If you could ride in some first, that would help you decide what is too stiff or too soft for you.

In my personal opinion, 600lbs (10.7kg) in the front is the absolute max I could put up with for a DD.

What is your absolute price limit?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No i havent rode in a lowered cb, no one i know has one lowered lol. but i have riden and driven an ae86 corolla on kyb agx, riden in a mustang with tokico d series or something like that, drove a 240sx with godspeeds, another with some ebay coilovers. I really wish my friends were into accords haha. I know the lower the drop, the stiffer the spring rate. And the stiffer the ride. I'm okay with it being kinda rough but nothing thats going to shoot me to the moon. So i will look into riding in an lowered accord first then. Didnt even think of that. Hmm probably somewhere around 800-900. Wish it could be some AMR's because everyone says they are so worth it. But im okay with going for less

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...13#post2872413

Comment

Under $500- Skunk2 Lowering Springs + Koni STR.Ts
        Under $850- Neuspeed Cup Kit, Nex GTs, D2 coilovers
        $$$ no object- Ground Control Coilovers + Koni Yellows

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

You live in So-cal man there's a ton of guys out there! Check out the regional forums and go to some meets this summer.
          There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have D2 coilovers and setup on max low. 205/40 R17 tires and it's great. They are stiffy but they must be. But on middle height and standard tires you will be ok, you can adjust it very nice. I'am happy with D2 and you will be to, trust me. 36 way rebound adjusting is working great. B-)
            No Turbo, No Fun.

Comment

bilstein
              neuspeed
              my picks

no teins...
              ____

Comment

Originally posted by vjekoaccordRT View Post
                I have D2 coilovers and setup on max low. 205/40 R17 tires and it's great. They are stiffy but they must be. But on middle height and standard tires you will be ok, you can adjust it very nice. I'am happy with D2 and you will be to, trust me. 36 way rebound adjusting is working great. B-)
                does D2 have adjustable camber plate?
                Turbo F22 Under Construction

Comment

The Function/Form type 2.5 has just been releases which is another good option. It is the type 2 adjustable coilover with eibach springs and you can select from 6k to 14k springs for no extra charge. A lot more custom than the basic adjustable coilover setup.
                  http://www.f2autolife.com/products
                  The site only lists 8, 10, and 12, but the distributor on v6p who deals directly with f2 says that 6 and 14 are also available.

My 6th gen accord thread
                  99 Miata

Comment

Tein Basic Coilovers as DD FTW! I had them on my accord along with a polyurethane bushing kit and felt smooth and comfortable but still able to take corners.

My brother had Tein Super Streets on his EJ8 and they felt like a dream. The softest setting felt close to OEM ride quality and the stiffest setting made you feel the road with every nook and cranny. But i would spend 1200 another way IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JunyAccord View Post
                      Tein Basic Coilovers as DD FTW! I had them on my accord along with a polyurethane bushing kit and felt smooth and comfortable but still able to take corners.

My brother had Tein Super Streets on his EJ8 and they felt like a dream. The softest setting felt close to OEM ride quality and the stiffest setting made you feel the road with every nook and cranny. But i would spend 1200 another way IMO.
                      super cup kit is 700, I have only heard good things from folks who have had different setups about neuspeed's.

I've heard teins are no where near worth what they charge and not even worth 500
                      ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        super cup kit is 700, I have only heard good things from folks who have had different setups about neuspeed's.

I've heard teins are no where near worth what they charge and not even worth 500
                        I got the basics from a member here for 650 so thats already 300 off. I would never in my right mind pay retail for that kit. thats insane. i didnt care much about the dampering but more of the height adjustment + its a well known name so i really wanted it.

everyone has their own opinion on their purchase. the same person giving their setup a 10/10 for the ride quality another person is giving it a 6 or 7 because its too stiff or too bouncy. there is no perfect setup for anyone.

i currently bought New_beginnings Omni power coilovers just to see how they feel. and you are right, no one in their right mind should pay hundreds of dollars more for the same quality. but IMO, tein basics are great.

Comment

I follow you...this was one of the things I base that e-pinoin off of...

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html (posted by JohnL)
                          short version...it's not ride quality or perceived ride quality as the reason why teins aren't regarded well but ACTUAL track performance, "shock dyno" performance, and whether the adjustability does what is says it does (theirs don't)

But...it does depend on what you are looking for in your suspension...which is why when someone just generally asks "what should I get" I generally say "super cup kit"
                          ____

Comment

Working...
                          X