Who here has done their own suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here has done their own suspension?

I'll be replacing my springs, struts and bushings soon, front and back.

Who here has done anything similar? What parts did you end up having to replace? Bolts, nuts, etc..

Thanks.
    Bart: What's your name?
    Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Originally posted by GrayCar
    I'll be replacing my springs, struts and bushings soon, front and back.

Who here has done anything similar? What parts did you end up having to replace? Bolts, nuts, etc..

Thanks.

i have done all of that stuff , but i only replace the stuff that needs to be replaced , if its not broken dont fix itl.

Comment

That's kind of what I'm saying, where are the gotchas?

I read that the lower strut bolt on the rears need to be replaced more often than not.

Comment

I read that the lower strut bolt on the rears need to be replaced more often than not.

i didnt replace any bolts.. i lowered my car 3 inches

Comment

Do you live in one of those sunny, no road salt type of environments?

Comment

The lower strut bolts in the back i've had problems with. If they are frozen, then your in for a new bushing and bolt at the least, plus the hours of labor that goes with it.

Just remember too... ANTISEEZE EVERYTHING!!!
            ...constantly constructing

Comment

Do you live in one of those sunny, no road salt type of environments?

dude , im in canada , i do power slides in the snow , i hydro plane in the salty water from the snow.. and when it melts the ,mud salt water get everthing messy!..

but no , there is salt , not always sunny and the pot holes come buy the dozen but it doesnt mean the bolts where not replcaed before i only had this car a year. maby you have to i dunno.. i didnt thow

Comment

yea when we did my suspension thats hte only problem we ran into...i snapped that bitch right off and we had to drill it out...sucked...definitely spray some antiseize stuff on those
                In memory of Jameel Johnson 4.30.05--You will never be forgotten...

MY Car

HydroDunk Mixtapes...check it out

Comment

Originally posted by Crayola-r
                  dude , im in canada , i do power slides in the snow , i hydro plane in the salty water from the snow.. and when it melts the ,mud salt water get everthing messy!..
                  Excellent, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by swassheefry
                    yea when we did my suspension thats hte only problem we ran into...i snapped that bitch right off and we had to drill it out...sucked...definitely spray some antiseize stuff on those

That's what I heard, thanks.

Comment

I've changed the springs and struts myself, never the bushings though. I guess it's because I live in one of those sunny,no salt type of environments. I used an impact gun, not much effort needed. Quality tools help too.

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                        I've changed the springs and struts myself, never the bushings though. I guess it's because I live in one of those sunny,no salt type of environments. I used an impact gun, not much effort needed. Quality tools help too.
                        I hate you people in those sunny, no salt type of evironments... rust tests a man's mettle...

Comment

i have never had a problem with any bolts and i live in mass and i mess around in the snow and ice alot. never broke any doing that either but antiseize is very helpful when replacing bolts ecspecial if they move alot. in shop we put it on were the caliper moves along the mounting braket. i lowered my car almost 4 inches and i never replaced a bushing or boot yet. knock on wood. when you are doing the driver's side fron becareful when you tilt the knuckle from the control arm because the axle can get pulled out of the tripod joint and its a bitch to put back in.
                          tuckin 19's

Comment

Just go buy the bolts just in case, more times then not in the climate you live in the bolts will be suck and need to be replaced. So just get the bolts as a back up so if they do break you have and extra step.

when you are doing the driver's side fron becareful when you tilt the knuckle from the control arm because the axle can get pulled out of the tripod joint and its a bitch to put back in.
                            Just remove the axle from the hub and support it then you have nothing to worry about
                            Last edited by 91cord; 05-30-2005, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Good to know.

I'll probably just go to the dealer and grab a set of JIC bolts. My ES urethane bushings are on the way, I'll have to go to the dealer to get what bushings weren't covered in that set anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X