Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Suggestions, GEARING up for a better suspension, replacing stuffs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Suggestions, GEARING up for a better suspension, replacing stuffs.

OKay, here's my situation.

I have a 90 ex, no abs, about 82k. I need to do the following, but since I'm at it, I was wondering what you guys would suggest while I'm at it.

MUST DO:
    *Change front brake rotors, pads, recondition pins, etc. (btw i couldn't find the DIY anymore, was it deleted? the one on the pads)
    *Replace passenger CV joint. (was thinking of just replacing the whole 1/2 shaft)

So, while I'm at it and taking things apart, what else should I replace? Wheel bearings? Rods? Any suggestion is helpful as I want to replace the necessary majority of things. Maybe bushings on front? I dont' want to replace EVERYTHING, but just mostly the things that are necessary. But of course, if it'll mean my suspension will be better I'll do it.

I only have limited TOOLS, just basic hand tools, ratchets, wrench. I'm planning this out as my 2nd lesson and need some suggestions, ideas. Also, I'm not sure if I can get things to be TIGHT TIGHT, but I hope so, cuz I don't want anything falling off while I'm pushing it or whatevers.

Thanks.

**I'm thinking of getting small parts at hondaautomotive. Any ideas or suggestion of where I can get any parts?
    hahahahah

majestic honda is were you can get small parts.

as for replacement shit, you dont have to replace it if you dont need to. the bearings are def. pressed in and you would need a hydraulic press.

id check the front sway bar bushings sine mine were cracked to hell. just check bushings and shit.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
      majestic honda is were you can get small parts.

as for replacement shit, you dont have to replace it if you dont need to. the bearings are def. pressed in and you would need a hydraulic press.

id check the front sway bar bushings sine mine were cracked to hell. just check bushings and shit.
      you can bang the bearings out with a hammer, i did it . . . but i do agree with the sway bar bushings, because mine are shot too . . . chances are its a common problem
      -Mark-
      CB7
      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
        you can bang the bearings out with a hammer, i did it . . . but i do agree with the sway bar bushings, because mine are shot too . . . chances are its a common problem
        :o
        didnt know that, mine was in there pretty damn good when i did my brake job.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

Derrik .. take a reaaal good look at the rack and pinion .. its a job most likely better suited
          for the pros.. tuff all day job .. I'd start there, and work your way out .. problem is ..
          If you change things like bearings and tie rods, but you've got a worn R/P .. it'll just make it
          that much more problematic and frustrating down the road .. (trust me, I know lol)
          And prolly 6 outta 10 times .. the R/P *needs* to be replaced .. check for leaks on it.
          Check to make sure the *boots* aren't ripped and or torn ..

When replacing things like struts, and shocks.. bearings and bushings .. tie rods and arms ...
          It'll feel great for a little while, then .. when you hit those unavoidable pot holes, or the
          occasional curb bump.. all of a sudden, it'll feel like it's right back to it's *old-self* ..
          Chances are .. that rack and pinion could be worn .. and they're a biiiyotch to replace.

I found a new one on eBay ... haven't had it put on yet .. but plan to in the very near future.
          It's not Honda OEM .. its a Reman .. but, it should be just fine .. g'luck with it all.
          Let us know how it all comes out ..

Aloha !!!
          Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
            Derrik .. take a reaaal good look at the rack and pinion .. its a job most likely better suited
            for the pros.. tuff all day job .. I'd start there, and work your way out .. problem is ..
            If you change things like bearings and tie rods, but you've got a worn R/P .. it'll just make it
            that much more problematic and frustrating down the road .. (trust me, I know lol)
            And prolly 6 outta 10 times .. the R/P *needs* to be replaced .. check for leaks on it.
            Check to make sure the *boots* aren't ripped and or torn ..

When replacing things like struts, and shocks.. bearings and bushings .. tie rods and arms ...
            It'll feel great for a little while, then .. when you hit those unavoidable pot holes, or the
            occasional curb bump.. all of a sudden, it'll feel like it's right back to it's *old-self* ..
            Chances are .. that rack and pinion could be worn .. and they're a biiiyotch to replace.

I found a new one on eBay ... haven't had it put on yet .. but plan to in the very near future.
            It's not Honda OEM .. its a Reman .. but, it should be just fine .. g'luck with it all.
            Let us know how it all comes out ..

Aloha !!!
            Tomi
            from what i heard, if you have a worn one, it will be very hard to align the car because of the slack.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

This is true Wed .. but it doesn't take much .. Lets face it .. these front ends aren't the greatest.
              Then we lower them .. and thats all *some* people do .. without *adding* whatever else
              we need to, then we encounter problems .. and wonder why .. everything is tied together..
              If you *modify* one thing .. I believe its a must to upgrade something that's related to it.

I agree with what you say .. tho its a great place to start from, when deciding on
              how/what mods you wanna do.
              Our cars remind me of the early 60's Vettes .. really not that great of a front suspension.
              Good theory and all, but .. could def have been improved upon .. IMHO.

A Hui Hou !!!
              Tomi

Comment

Hey guys. I really appreciate all your help.

I am just finding it difficult to find time to learn everything myself and doing the things myself. I mean even a simple brake bleed would save A LOT Of time if I had someone. But it's okay, I'll give this whole thing a shot, new rotors, pads, changing bushings, etc.

But this will be my 2nd project I'm planning on, both financial wise and resource wise. That's why I've decided to make it early so I can slowly prepare. My 1st thing would be to do the tube seals, adjust valves and that sort of thing. Honestly, I hardly ever get the car as my mum drives it, but it's okay. School is gonna start soon and what not.

But I'll try what I can, as I'm putting in an order for parts so I wanna order just a bulk and not have to worry for now cuz shipping rapes me.

**Exactly where is the rack and pinion, I mean where should i Look. SOrry, i've checked the haynes under suspension, steering and even the index and I still couldn't find it. BUt i'll pray its okay.
                Thanks.

BTW tomi, i read ur other reply bought the small o-ring in the dizzy im gonna order that, haha, u know small stuffs that i'll need i'll just order it. that kind of stuff
                hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
                  Exactly where is the rack and pinion, I mean where should i Look. SOrry, i've checked the haynes under suspension, steering and even the index and I still couldn't find it. BUt i'll pray its okay.
                  Thanks.
                  BTW Tomi, i read ur other reply bought the small o-ring in the dizzy im gonna order that, haha, u know small stuffs that i'll need i'll just order it. that kind of stuff
                  Derrek .. go to the links I provided below.. I couldnt find one *specifically* for our car, but..
                  it should give you a good idea of what you're looking at ..
                  http://www.meridianautoparts.com/ima...iagram-700.jpg
                  http://www.meridianautoparts.com/learn.htm
                  They're quite costly to replace .. however, in the long run .. it'll save you a ton of $$$
                  not to mention, a new one installed, is way worth the ride/alignment/comfort level.

And glad you ordered that *O* ring .. I just had mine replaced .. couldnt for the life of me,
                  figure out why I had oil on the top of my tranny .. and now .. not a drop anywhere!

Hope this helps you out ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                  Tomi

Comment

oh shit, check your brake hoses as well. i checked my friend's 3rd gen brakes and one is squishy so he def. has to get the replaced.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

aww man. i have so much work cut out for me i don't even know where to begin. from my last observation of the car, the only boot that needs working was the cv boot. also, i must fix the seals in my valve cover and maybe even the dizzy. i have to look into that. everything else seems okay, though my p/s fluid seems to need a refill every so often which could mean something BAD ..

ill try snap some pics or give myself some time to look under the car, so much i gotta do, yet so little tools and knowledge to do so. but thanks guys for helping and suggesting, that's why i started this thread to give myself time and planning.

i finally saved enough to do the valve cover gasket, plug tube seals, valve adjusting project. picked up the fel pro, feeler guages, torque wrench etc etc. that should be an experience and a big 1st time job, aside from the basic maintenance.

and i thought i was able to buy a lower tie bar as a first mod haha.. btw whats ur guys thought on a lower tie? waste or useless???

im thinking of just getting front and rear strut tower and maybe just the lower tie for now. i d k bought a rear sway though..
                      Last edited by FishyMan; 07-27-2005, 03:13 PM.
                      hahahahah

Comment

Working...
                      X