alignment for adjustable coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment for adjustable coils

Does the alignment get screwed up when you change the height on adjustable coils? I want to drop a couple of inches off of the "factory lift kit" but I don't want to get into camber kits so I am looking at the Tokico HP shock/spring kit (1.25" drop). But I am also looking at the TIEN Basic kit and I'm wondering if after getting the alignment done if I change the height will the alignment change?
    It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

anytime you change the height of a car, you affect the alignment.

getting a camber kit is another issue, and in my opinion, is never necessary at any height.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB

How much camber does your opinion believe is ok for decent street traction?
      it's about toe, not about camber.

i'm anti camber kit. to me, it seems to be more hassle and problems (control arm issues) without a benefit in performance to rock a camber kit then to not rock one.

a good description from a guy i trust about camber:

Originally posted by one ton vip
      I've also been working on making a simple diagram that shows people exactly why negative camber alone is not truly that bad for tire wear... so far one of my best analogies is to think of your car's wheel as something like one of these ab exercise devices (don't mind the girl)

So to put it simply, if you hold the wheel perfectly upright and straight, it is very easy to push back and forth. Now imagine tilting the top edge a few degrees over to one side (negative camber), you will still be able to roll it back and forth pretty easily. Now, with the wheel still tilted along the vertical axis, move one hand a little bit in front of the other, so that you tilt it on the horizontal axis, and try to roll it. The difficulty you experience is the effect of toe (either in or out). So imagine your car basically having to drag your tire along.. that's the true killer of tires.

Comment

just get the toe fixed and u'll be alset....i haven't gotten an alignment at all, i raise and lower my car a bijillion times especially during the summer and i have had no issues except for tire wear when dropped 4+ inches lol never had a issue with car turning to the right or left...ahhh welll bed time
        My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
          Everyone here just seems to be fixated on tire wear, so I guess I'll have to leave it alone.

BTW, I never mentioned tire wear, I asked about traction.
          i've never found any problems related to traction at any height i've had my car at. sorry for not answering the question more specifically earlier.

Comment

traction will most def be affected with the height of the car.......common sense will tell ya that....different camber and toe and traction will be off......the worse the CAMBER specifically the worse the traction......try riding around on half a tire or less!!!! not just traction but handling and all that good stuff is affected.
            My members ride thread

Comment

How much drop have you guys gotten away with before the camber is too far out to properly adjust for a good wheel alignment?
              It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

That's the thing --- "good wheel alignment" can be in the eye of the beholder.

Something to keep in mind, is what kind of tires you run. If you have tires that will only last 30-35,xxx miles at best anyway, inner wear due to negative camber isn't as great a hardship --- the tires are already worn in other ways.

If you run a "touring" type tire that would otherwise last for double that, then the effects of negative camber will bum you out more because you'll live with it longer. Make sense, sorta?
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                  That's the thing --- "good wheel alignment" can be in the eye of the beholder.

Something to keep in mind, is what kind of tires you run. If you have tires that will only last 30-35,xxx miles at best anyway, inner wear due to negative camber isn't as great a hardship --- the tires are already worn in other ways.

If you run a "touring" type tire that would otherwise last for double that, then the effects of negative camber will bum you out more because you'll live with it longer. Make sense, sorta?
                  I know what you mean. I am really anal about vehicle mainenance. To me the alignment should be to spec: toe at zero, camber at zero in front -.3 degrees rear, and caster at +3 degrees. I do run the touring type tire. Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

Comment

so if alingment isnt the problem and it's all with the toe can you just have that done? or what. I plan on lowering my car with neuspeed race but i dont want to go through tires. I want perfect alignment and no tire wearing.

Is this possible without a camber kit? I mean from what i remmeber on my whire accord. I was super low like 3 in from the ground and my tire wear wasnt that bad. On the alloys. But with this hankooks i dunno if it would be like that.

Im still in debate and that's why there not installed yet on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      so if alingment isnt the problem and it's all with the toe can you just have that done? or what. I plan on lowering my car with neuspeed race but i dont want to go through tires. I want perfect alignment and no tire wearing.

Is this possible without a camber kit? I mean from what i remmeber on my whire accord. I was super low like 3 in from the ground and my tire wear wasnt that bad. On the alloys. But with this hankooks i dunno if it would be like that.

Im still in debate and that's why there not installed yet on my car.
                      That's what i am trying to find out. How much drop can I have before i have to have camber kits to get the camber to spec. I have been told 2" is the max before the camber is too far out to get to spec.

Comment

people apparently aren't reading, or are not comprehending. you do not have to get a camber kit, you don't have to do anything. an alignment does not require a camber kit.

many people think/believe that you need a camber kit if you are dropped lower than 2 inches. but that's subjective opinion. getting a camber kit is a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
                          ... How much drop can I have before i have to have camber kits to get the camber to spec.
                          Nothing --- you can't drop the car at all if you want camber to be within spec unless you use a camber kit.

For example, I have inner tire wear from when I had stock springs on my car ... both front springs were broken, resulting in about 1/2 drop. That's less than any drop you'd get with the mildest of aftermarket springs.

Being out of spec on camber isn't the end of the world; that's why uncle_el is telling you it's a subjective opinion. It's not nearly as serious as toe being out of whack.

Bottom line:
                          Inner tire wear getting you down? Get a camber kit. Some inner tire wear present but not too objectionable? Forget it.

FYI I also currently have the LS-H. It isn't a sexy tire but as you know it's a good tire that lasts a long time. My next set will be more performance-oriented, won't last as long and will undoubtedly be noisier. I've got a hankering for even more response and grip lately ...
                          Last edited by deckeda; 12-29-2005, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                            Nothing --- you can't drop the car at all if you want camber to be within spec unless you use a camber kit.

For example, I have inner tire wear from when I had stock springs on my car ... both front springs were broken, resulting in about 1/2 drop. That's less than any drop you'd get with the mildest of aftermarket springs.
                            I hope your wrong. I don't want abnormal tire wear, and being that from Halloween to Easter I have to deal with snow and ice I need good even tire to pavement contact.
                            Last edited by pwrusr; 12-29-2005, 09:29 PM. Reason: Edited to fix quote

Comment

Any drop will result in camber going negative --- it has to. Picture a 300lb person sitting on your fender. That corner of the car will lower and the top of the wheel will cant in (lean in) towards the car. Shorter springs = same result.

The solution is simple then. Get a camber kit, regardless of how much or how little you drop the car when you switch springs. You'll feel better about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X