Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension/Steerring Issues???

Hi Gang-

Got a 92EX Coupe with 189K on it. Its from California and really solid, and I think it was MOSTLY original(except for tires, brakes, etc).

I have had bad braking issues with since I bought it- but that'll be in another thread.

I have Yokohama H4Ss on this beast, and its had a bad left pull since I had a right side tire replaced, re-man axle on left, and a lower left ball joint, and an alignment(all done in July). Its been *issin me off, as I drive 100 miles a day. Lane changing was vague and centering was vague as well. Been back to that shop three times and no problem found. I also swapped out my spindles in May for Acura CL2.3's.

In the last 2 months with onset of winter- I get a squeal from left front when I turn left(when cold). When I pull away from stop and turn right(only right)- I get a knock, knock, knock, but can't localize the side or noise. My ride quality has deteriorated badly as well, so I know its time for struts(front and rear).

Took car to Sears this morning to find any wear or looseness before I made up my mind on struts- just to get an idea on other damage. Sears could not find anything wrong in front or rear!!! The only thing they suggest was maybe a tire rotate on left side. Well- this fixed the left pull, and now I am straight.

I have no answer for the squeal, and it seems that is as I turn left. The knock, knock I m guessing its one of my replaced axles, but can't figure out which. Is there a way of finding out which it is?

As to struts- I wanna stay stock, but don't want to pay Honda prices, although I THINK these are original so I can't argue service life!!! Is the GR-2 roughly the same as stock? I do know to stay away from Monroe Sensatrash.
    Anyone done there own struts? Will I need to seperate any joints to do it? I have done struts once in my sons Topaz, and it was a beaaaatch.

I looked at some suggestions here for spring replacements as well, and I will keep that open. My main concern though is how to deal with the noises in front before I spring for struts and brakes.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Chris

i remember this being talked about breifly, when someone turned one way it would squeak, i think it was ball joints and axles..but im not sure...try searching a little, just search strutsand youll find someone who has done them before
    92 CB7 *Sold $3300 102K Miles 4 door LX

94 Del Sol *Baught $3300 80K Miles on chasis
    and 60K miles on b18b1 motor swap

Comment

The squeal, may just be low brake pads. It could also be the brake dust shield bent too close to the rotor, and hits it when you turn. Mine do it sometimes when turning HARD. Just get under there, after the brakes are cold, and bend that dust shield out a little bit at the bottom.

As far as the clicking sound. If you are clicking while accelerating, lay under the car and see if you see any of the rubber boots on the driveaxle's are torn. If not, try to see if there is any rotational play in the axles. Raise up the car, and try to rotate the axle shaft and see if there is any play between that and the ends of the axle(other side of the boot). I will try to get up a diagram for checking that as its not easy to explain.

Comment

knocking sounds like a cv joint to me maybe...however, once i had some aweful knocking and i looked at the joints and axles and everything was fine.. knocking got worse and i come to find out i was missing a lug nut and the other 3 were loose, so make sure that isnt ur problem!

Check Out My Car

Comment

make sure you find a competent mechanic that you trust.

-I would check the power steering fluid, and change if you dont know when its been done last.
          -check the free play in the steering wheel when the car is off.
          -what about upper ball joints?
          -are you sure the squel isnt coming from inside the engine bay? maybe powersteering belt?

sounds to me like the car has new parts on one side, etc. generally, it is best to replace them as a pair, both front and left. just my 2 cents.

springs and struts
          I would go with an aftermarket replacement over an overpriced oem part for the shocks. Im happy with my KYB agx shocks(adjustable) however the gr2 seem to be good as well for oem spring replacement or a mild drop around 1". you could get away with a 1" drop without a camber kit. well your in there, i would replace what are probably tired stock springs that are sagging(make sure your springs arent cracked or broken too)

I had a vagueness in my steering, bad tracking, and a disconnectedness in my steering at highway speed, and occasional chatter through the steering column(slow dirt road,for ex.) it was one of my bushings gone bad.

good luck, sometimes these problems takes months and patience to diagnose and uncover them, best of luck.
          Last edited by starchland; 01-02-2006, 05:53 PM.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Thanks to all-

Drove car this AM to work, and swapping left side rubber front to back got rid of the pull.

Knocking still there, and the squealing is when turning the wheel- doesn't sound like the high pitched squeal when low on fluid.

I am gonna check out the fluid anyway- but I will probably have to replace my brakes first- these are vibrating my fillings loose everytime I stop.

I do have a guy I trust to look around- he is just tough to get to. Does what I want for labor only with me bringing parts. He is very honest.

Thanks,
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X