Polyurethane Bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polyurethane Bushings?

I've read that one of the best upgrades you can do for fairly cheap to improve handling is to get a PU bushings kit. I am looking at buying one that includes mostly just the front end bushings. The kit Im looking to buy 98 bucks shipped. Is there really a difference....Im sure it wouldnt hurt to replace mine anyway but Im not sure what other problems I'll run into while replacing the bushings that I have now. If I buy it...should I also try to find bushings for the rear suspension?

Originally posted by Conspiracy
    I've read that one of the best upgrades you can do for fairly cheap to improve handling is to get a PU bushings kit.
    true, it is probably one of the cheapest suspension upgrades.
    Is there really a difference.
    yes, it will slightly improve handling , due to the PU bushings being more dense. the bumps will be more pronounced. the PU bushing will outlast the OEM rubber. basicly the OEM's are going to be more comfortable with more flex.
    should I also try to find bushings for the rear suspension?
    that is up to you. if the rear bushings are rotten and cracked, why not. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i tell you what, they are the best. my car handled alot better with these bushings. the only con that i see to them is getting in/out. other than that what a very good prduct

Comment

... The kit Im looking to buy 98 bucks shipped. ...
        If it were me, I'd get polygraphite, not polyurethane. Polygraphite has well, graphite impregnated into it to help reduce squeaks.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Some of the bushings that you will get in the kit must be pressed out (such as the ones in the Lower control arm). So if you dont have access to a shop or a press, you may want to pass and just go for a sway bar endlink upgrade. The other bushings ARE worth it, but dont expect to put them on in a few hours in your garage, unless you have cool tools like a press.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
            Some of the bushings that you will get in the kit must be pressed out (such as the ones in the Lower control arm). So if you dont have access to a shop or a press, you may want to pass and just go for a sway bar endlink upgrade. The other bushings ARE worth it, but dont expect to put them on in a few hours in your garage, unless you have cool tools like a press.
            it is worth doing this mod 100%. if you dont have a shop, let somebody else do it for you. DO NOT pass up this mod and go straight to the sway bar end-links. it is very time consuming but its worth every penny. i lucked out cuz im a technician so i did mine myself.

Comment

Cost of labor is the determining factor for me

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                If it were me, I'd get polygraphite, not polyurethane. Polygraphite has well, graphite impregnated into it to help reduce squeaks.
                I agree, that's why I bought the full front-end kit from www.p-s-t.com, it's the kit on my white project, in my sig if you want pics.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Most everything I plan on doing on my car involves me and a garage. Call me cheap whatever theres nothing I hate more than paying someone to do something for me. I'll have to check with a few shops to see how much they'd charge to press some of them in.

As far as the ones I can do myself, I should expect to be able to do them in a few hours? I dont see why it would take any longer than that. Plus by the time I do them anyway I should have the suspension pretty much fully ripped apart for coilovers and rotors install.

If I end up getting the kit...what specifically should I look for included with it? I dont know much about the subject and all the kits I look at have different peices it seems. For example...would it be worth getting the strut bushings if I have D2 coilovers? I wouldnt think so because I dont see a way for me to take apart the coilover to get the bushing down in there.

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

i did it, and the handling is tighter, although, i must admit that you (and i quote myself here) "can run over a coin in the road and tell whether it was a nickel or a dime"

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                      i did it, and the handling is tighter, although, i must admit that you (and i quote myself here) "can run over a coin in the road and tell whether it was a nickel or a dime"
                      how was the install?

Comment

how hard was it?

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

&quot;3 hours or so&quot; LOL

I also just recently purchased the front end polyurethane bushing master set. I took the lower control arms and ball joints to get pressed out at a local Napa for $54. Tell them you only want to take them out. Make sure your local Napa or any other auto store has a machine shop. The polyurethane bushing pop right in but are a bitch to take out when you put them in. I also cleaned ( knuckle,lower arm, upper arm, ball joints, tie rod, steering rod to knuckle, and fork) I made sure there was no residue left in order to paint them gun metal black. The polyurethane bushings are red and look sick on black. I wish it took 3 hours, so far it has been 5 days (part-time job and son) and I just got finished to day with all suspension components assembled including axles in place. Tommorow I plan on cleaning the calipers and spraying them hi-temp gloss black. I will get the pics in you will wet your self win you see this promise. Peace
                          Last edited by dualacord; 03-30-2006, 03:35 AM.

My ride

Comment

Originally posted by dualacord
                            I also just recently purchased the front end polyurethane bushing master set. I took the lower control arms and ball joints to get pressed out at a local Napa for $54. Tell them you only want to take them out. Make sure your local Napa or any other auto store has a machine shop. The polyurethane bushing pop right in but are a bitch to take out when you put them in. I also cleaned ( knuckle,lower arm, upper arm, ball joints, tie rod, steering rod to knuckle, and fork) I made sure there was no residue left in order to paint them gun metal black. The polyurethane bushings are red and look sick on black. I wish it took 3 hours, so far it has been 5 days (part-time job and son) and I just got finished to day with all suspension components assembled including axles in place. Tommorow I plan on cleaning the calipers and spraying them hi-temp gloss black. I will get the pics in you will wet your self win you see this promise. Peace
                            get them pics up homie...sounds good. I dunno if I could go 5 days without my DD tho.

Comment

Most everything I plan on doing on my car involves me and a garage. Call me cheap whatever theres nothing I hate more than paying someone to do something for me. I'll have to check with a few shops to see how much they'd charge to press some of them in.

As far as the ones I can do myself, I should expect to be able to do them in a few hours? I dont see why it would take any longer than that. Plus by the time I do them anyway I should have the suspension pretty much fully ripped apart for coilovers and rotors install.

If I end up getting the kit...what specifically should I look for included with it? I dont know much about the subject and all the kits I look at have different peices it seems. For example...would it be worth getting the strut bushings if I have D2 coilovers? I wouldnt think so because I dont see a way for me to take apart the coilover to get the bushing down in there.

Thanks for the input guys.
                              look heres my input. its going to take at least 4 or more hrs to do them. that means taking them out, torching and pressing them out. its not a easy task. also use a air hammer. when you do the rotos they are press on, so sometimes they dont come out that easy. if you go with d2 coilovers, you cant use the strut bushings, they come with the kit so just keep them or sell them.

Comment

Working...
                              X