Help me Pick Some Springs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me Pick Some Springs!

Hello all. Some of you may or may not know, but I am insanely cautious when it comes to buying parts for my CB7. I'm ready to buy some lowering springs.

First question. Is it true that if I do not lower the Front a quarter of an inch more than the Rear that I will end up with the "boat effect" (since the Front fender is slightly higher than the Rear)? This is something I have seen on other CB7s and it makes me sick. I'm actually looking at either having the Front/Rear even or the Front slightly lower than the Rear. I'm also thinking of the future, where I could be purchasing rims (most likely polish-lip 16s), so I don't want to slam it with springs (non-adjustable; and I don't want coilovers either). I've been measuring with a tape measure (while tires were cold) and I came to the conclusion that a drop of 2.25'' in the Front and 2.0'' in the Rear would be nice (this is based on avoiding the boat effect - +.25'' in Front).

Since I am inexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing, I am calling on you experts to give me a hand. I'm looking to spend $0-$125 for the springs. I'm also do not want to have to purchase new shocks or a camberkit at this time (my stock shocks are in great condition right now and I don't drive hard barely at all). I just don't have the cashflow. The reason I am so damn picky about this is because I bust the livin' hell of out my ass at work, and do not feel like blowing a paycheck+ on a set of springs that end up looking like crap (boat effect or sagging). I am looking for a more aggressive look, not a slammed look. You can see a sideshot of my CB7 in my signature. Now you know what kind of gap I am dealing with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

generic short-ram
    generic strut tower bar
    hid bulbs all around
    amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Just get a set of Eibach Sportline's .. and be done with it .. you will not regret it ..

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I've looked at those. Is 1.7'' really that much of a drop? Seems minimal to me. Probably because I have never lowered a car before.

generic short-ram
      generic strut tower bar
      hid bulbs all around

Comment

Originally posted by '93EX
        I've looked at those. Is 1.7'' really that much of a drop? Seems minimal to me. Probably because I have never lowered a car before.
        Trust me .. after they've settled? And mine took almost a whole year to settle ..
        you'll be sooo glad you invested in a *quality* name brand .. a company that has been
        known for their springs worldwide .. and backs their product .. hell .. they prolly
        do more R&D then any 2 companies put together .. and everyone else gets their ideas
        from them .. lol .. Eibach has been around for so long it's pathetic ..

Look at the back of my car in my sig .. then look at yours .. yeah .. there is a noticeable difference!
        Not to mention the fronts ..

Know what I like so much about the sportline's ? It's not so much the *lowering* ..
        all tho .. they did go down quite nicely in time .. but .. I am simply amazed at just how
        great the ride feels .. my x g/f had a beamer .. and honestly .. she even said that
        my cb7 felt better then her 5 series bmw .. and I had to agree .. I hated that car .. lol.

I was just like you before I got mine .. I was askin all over .. which is good .. you get
        alotta great advice .. lots of diff things to think about .. but Eibach made it easy ...
        And it's been a pleasure ever since ..

I dont even have a camber kit on the back .. but, the fronts did require a set of
        off-set ball joint camber's .. its another route I chose to go .. which was quite pricey ..
        but in the end .. I've saved alotta rubber .. and the ride is still a great one .. unbeatable ..

A Hui Hou
        Tomi

Comment

The rear of your car looks like it is sitting noticeably lower than the front. Do you have any actual shots, preferably a side shot? Also, would a camber kit be required with a 1.8F/1.7R? I hope not.

generic short-ram
          generic strut tower bar
          hid bulbs all around

Comment

Its prolly the angle that I took the image at .. but the car is most definitely quite level
            if not a lil lower in the front .. again .. its a lowzy angle .. however, here's a couple a shots
            that may give a better example ..

This was shot right after the Orlando meet last year ...
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...a/8a565b1a.jpg
            And this image was when we were doing the paint .. its got a different color on it ..
            (yellow primer) just to give you a different perspective on a lighter shade ..
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...a/88d3cd3c.jpg

And I honestly think that the sportline's went maybe a lil bit lower then they suggested ..
            I could be wrong lol .. but .. they're a nice enuff drop for what I wanted to do ...
            I definitely feel a camber kit would be required for atleast the fronts with the sportline's.
            My people over at the shop said to wait, and watch my rear tires .. but everytime
            that I see the shop .. they look at my rear tires .. and shake their heads ..
            I dont need anything in back .. the tires wear fine .. and while I was also in the process
            of waiting almost a year for the springs to settle .. instead of buying new tires and
            shredding them .. I went thru like 4 sets of *good used* tires that I found at any
            tire place .. and hell .. for 10 bucks apiece .. it sure beat the hell outta wearing out
            new rubber .. sure .. you're in and out of tire shops quite a bit .. but while they were balancing
            and doing whatever .. I was under the car while it was in the air .. inspecting and checking
            and takin notes .. lol .. you can definitely say I got my money's worth outta the used tires!

EDIT: I wanna make it clear, that I only went thru used tires on the fronts .. as the rear tires stayed on the entire year,
            with no unusual or abnormal wear whatsoever ..

A Hui Hou !!!
            Tomi
            Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-08-2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Wow, the first shot looks real nice. Actually, the front is EXACTLY what I want, the rear is still gappy but noticeably better. Is that with the "quoted" 1.8F/1.7R? How much did you think it settled? Thanks alot for your responses!

generic short-ram
              generic strut tower bar
              hid bulbs all around

Comment

Is that with the "quoted" 1.8F/1.7R? How much did you think it settled? Thanks alot for your responses!
                Honestly I haven't ever really measured it .. but, I swear it looks more then what
                they said it would drop .. then again .. my eyes could be biased ..

I do scrape front mudflaps on speed bummps .. I also have rear mudflaps flip over
                those concrete blocks they have at banks .. when I back in .. my flexpipe is all scratched up
                from bottoming out on V crurved driveways .. or like rain gutter concrete .. ummm
                whatelse? LOL .. and I still haven't installed a front lip yet .. I'm freaked that it'll be like
                destroyed in less then a month lmao !! Oh yeah .. those concrete parking lot thingys?
                I always (if I'm not backin in) manage to travel too far up (creeping) and yep ..
                I smack the underside of my bumper .. doh !

Honestly, I dont know why anyone would wanna go lower then what the sportline's
                have to offer .. I mean .. I suppose it would look cool and all at night with sparks
                flyin out from under the unibody .. lol lol .. seriously tho .. I'm as low as I wanna go ..

Any lower .. and she'd have to be a stay at home bitch .. and I've never liked my women
                quite like that at all ..

I even have friends that complain sometimes when they have to get in or out, and moan
                or groan as if it's a real task .. lmao .. My drive up bank teller always asks, how the weather is down here ..
                guy's on motorcycles, get an upskirt shot of Jackie for free!
                I went to a models PentHouse last week .. and had to open the door to stand outside
                so I could type in the code to get in the complex .. OMG, and drive up fast food places
                think they can simply whip shit in from the inside of the kitchen .. Cheezeburger !!! zzzzziiiip ..

Yeah .. I'm pretty comfy at this height .. or, lets just say .. I've grown accustomed to it ..
                Any lower .. and I'ma need my legs cut off at the knee's .. heheheh, but yeah ..
                I love it .. closer to earth .. the whilte lines on I-95 seem to zip by me quicker ..
                Specially at 100mph .. they all look like one solid white line .. zoom zooom ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                Tomi
                Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM.

Comment

H&R = FTW

look at my sig

Comment

I still have not figured out what FTW means lol.

For both of you guys. Are your springs on 15s? If not, what size. Thanks again.

generic short-ram
                    generic strut tower bar
                    hid bulbs all around

Comment

I still have not figured out what FTW means lol.

For both of you guys. Are your springs on 15s? If not, what size. Thanks again.
                      FTW= For The Win ..
                      I'm on 15" .. 97 SE Alloy's

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi

Comment

gyea FTW = "for the win" haha

im on 94 ex 7 spoke wheels 15s

Comment

I have Eibach pro-kit with Koni Yellow.
                          Nice!
                          1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
                          2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
                          3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
                          4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
                          5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Try finding a spring that drops a half inch more in the front than the rear. My Teins are 2.1 f 1.7 r and with ANYTHING in the trunk of the car, I get the boat effect. I am taking that term, as it is the coolest thing I have ever heard anyone say on these forums.. the boat effect... muahhahah.

Comment

I went from all stock to this and I love it. I did alot of research and looked at the thread where everyone posts their setup and how they rate it, some with pics. It was very helpful, you might want to check it out.
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...3&page=1&pp=20

Mine
                              H&R Sport Springs
                              KYB AGX's
                              ..on 17's with 215/45 tires

Last edited by GunRunner; 07-09-2006, 01:16 AM.
                              -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                              -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X