replacing ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BustedLX
    There's a specail tool for the lower joints made by OTC. Basically it's for the installation of the joint without the need of a press. It's a "C" clamp looking tool that has a few adapters that allows you to press the joint in using an impact wrench. Works awesome.

I replaced both my upper arms because I could not get the upper joint alone from Honda.
    we got a special tool for the at the shop and last week when i replaced mine we just smacked them out w/ a hammer.
    I had to loosen up the bearing and push it out a little to clear it but that may have just been my car.

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

yea i . . . errr my uncle . . . smacked my lower ball joints out with a hammer as well . . . installed them with a hammer too . . . just brace the back of the knuckle with something and wack it hard . . . should come loose after a few hits . . .
      -Mark-
      CB7
      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
        yea i . . . errr my uncle . . . smacked my lower ball joints out with a hammer as well . . . installed them with a hammer too . . . just brace the back of the knuckle with something and wack it hard . . . should come loose after a few hits . . .
        id be carefull..that usually messes up the lower thread. buy a ball joint remover.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

when your throwing the ball joint away because its bad . . . the lower thread doesnt really matter . . .
          -Mark-
          CB7
          CD5

Comment

true...oh duh!! haha i didnt read the thread title.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

for the uper i suggest u buy it with the control arm. $40 off ebay brand new...
              lower one u can replace wihiout any press or whatever. just remove the C clamp and hit it out of the assambly.
              for the new one u have to tap it into its place with a wood/rubber hammer. the only bitch part is that u gona have to take ur time putting the C clamp back on..
              good luck
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
                The only special tool you need to remove the bottom one, or either one for that matter, is an air hammer. It is not recommended to install the ball joints in the same fashion as removal but I've done it plenty of times with no problems. As far as not being able replace the upper ball joint is concerned, I don't see why not. They sell adjustable ball joints for it. How else would you put them in? Someone clarify?

Be carefull With the air hammer, Let my friend use mine and he chiseld the bitch right off and damaged the arm. I laughed and handed him a parts replacement catalog.

Then again, maybe he dosen't know how to use an air tool set because he stripped the treads on his wheels.

Thats what the shop uses to remove them.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll take the upper control arms off and then decide if I'm going to replace the entire arm or, simply just remove the old ball joint by taking out the C-Clip and maybe having them then pressed out. After that I'll simply have the new pressed in.
                  Thank you again for the info, i'm sure I'll need to come back for more when the time comes to actually Do this!

- Zipcreature
                  Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Whats the time it would take to remove the nuckle, replace the lower ball joint, take off the upper control arm, and replace ONLY the ball joint on the upper, then replace everything?
                    I may do this this morning (sat) then hope to god I can get an alighnment done.

- Zipcreature
                    Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

couple hours? . . . it really all depends on how stubborn the bolts that you have to loosen want to be. i can take apart each side in like 15 minutes now . . . but ive done it like 3 or 4 times
                      -Mark-
                      CB7
                      CD5

Comment

Aight well here is what happened. Keep in mind I have an autoX tomorrow. Well, I HAD one.
                        I removed the uper control arm. Then I removed the ball joint. ---- YES the upper ball joint just hammers out with proper support.
                        Then I realized that the replacement ball joints i had ordered were lower ball joints; which the website did not specify them as; only "ball joints".
                        So now i'm pissed at my stupid mistake. I call the local honda stealership, they have one left one. Yes, I knocked out the right one okay so fuck.
                        Called the stealership town over; YES! They have both - for $360 mofucking dollars!

So i'm waiting for mine from Egay to arrive. Moral?

1) Upper control arm ball joints are easy to remove. Very simple.
                        2) Dont bother, just remove the whole thing and replace.
                        3) ALWAYS check the parts you have, and what you THINK you've got.

- Zipcreature
                        Awesome!

Comment

In Trouble Now(Ball Joint Shaft Turning)

Hokay!!!

I started this because my CV boot completely cracked, and I got SHIZ all over the place under there, and I bought an axle.

I just had the shit apart a month ago to replace my spindles with Acura's baby. Anyway- I popped the Tie Rod, and then unloosened castle nut for lower ball, and kept nut on shaft to help keep shaft from distorting with pointed end on 2 Jaw Puller.

It popped,but now I can't unloosen the NUT, and the joint shaft is turning!!!
                          How do I fix this mess???

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Chris

Comment

did u pop it with a hammer? well try and use a power tool..but u may just have to try to grip it to stop turning so u can twist it off...

id just get a tool and cut that nut.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I put weight back on it by using another jack, I put it all back together and drove it locally for abit, and then tried to loosen the nut, but the damn ball joint shaft kept on turnin! I couldn't generate enough torque to overcome what resistance was on the shaft.

I finally got it jacked up high enough to get an air wrench under it and that generated enough torque.

It took a while to figure out how to get the tranny end of the shaft off- I knew there was a snap ring holding it, but ended up using a pry bar to get it out. It was my first axle.

All seems well(for now) I am gonna have to do drivers side soon, and I should end up getting the knuckles pulled down the road and getting ball joints pressed in there, but I can plan for that. I really needed to get this back and running quick.

Thanks
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X