Aluminum lug nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum lug nuts?

Does anyone have experience with lug nuts that are made of Aircraft Quality Forged Aluminum A7075-T6?
    Are these good or bad?
    These lug nuts are supposed to be extremely strong and lighweight.
    Each Lug Nut Weights .08 oz compared to the Average Weight of 2.1 oz.

Skunk2 Racing lug nuts are forged from super strong AL7075 aluminum/magnesium alloy and hard-anodized with knurled ends for better grip. Skunk2 Racing lug nuts are ultra-lightweight and strong and have been proven in all forms of racing. Use with Skunk2 Racing extended wheel studs for best performance.

CB3 formerly hondaracer33

although T6 is a very dense aluminum alloy, it isn't more dense than the stud you would bolt it to, which is mild steel. that alone would make me iffy. i'd imagine that they come with a certain torque spec that as long as you didn't exceed it, you would be fine.

if you're very serious about light weight lug nuts, maybe you should consider titanium. although pricey, probably not a whole lot more than the T6's. also the titanium lugs would be much more dense than the stud....not to mention lighter than the T6's. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
      although T6 is a very dense aluminum alloy, it isn't more dense than the stud you would bolt it to, which is mild steel. that alone would make me iffy. i'd imagine that they come with a certain torque spec that as long as you didn't exceed it, you would be fine.

if you're very serious about light weight lug nuts, maybe you should consider titanium. although pricey, probably not a whole lot more than the T6's. also the titanium lugs would be much more dense than the stud....not to mention lighter than the T6's. later.
      agreed, cant go cheap with the important stuff.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

you will need to stick to specific torque specs for these lug nuts...alu. is relatively soft and the threads can get worn if high torque impact wrenches are used.

they are definitely cool tho...plus u'll be reducing 2.02lbs of unsprung mass...which is always good.
        DEVOTE

Comment

My brother had some on his Civic, and they are light as hell, it feels like your holding a sheet of paper.But be sure not to torqu down to tight like the others said, or the threads will become scrwed up and unable to use again.He had the Skunk 2's.Yes they are nice though as long as you take care of them.

Comment

Working...
          X