benefit of prelude calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

benefit of prelude calipers?

just wondering what the benefit of using prelude front calipers is, and also a little more info. i know of a few people who used the prelude brackets, i guess for upgraded performance... why use just the brackets? what if you use the whole thing? do you need to use prelude rotors too?

just curious because i have a set of 94 lude calipers in the garage, figured when im replacing the master cyl (boo) id throw em on before i bleed everything, if they woudl provide a benefit...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Prelude VTEC calipers, or just regular ones?
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

oh sorry, yes, prelude vtec calipers.

Current cars:

Comment

the prelude vtec calipers are bigger than stock, so they should provide w/more clamping force and braking power. If you are going to use the calipers, you have to also use the bracket for them, and also the rotor. The ludes rotor is 11.2" compared to our 10" one.

The thing is that if you wanna run the prelude calipers/bracket/rotor, i beleive you have to first do the rotor over hub conversion since thats how the prelude ones are. I have that already done, so now im just looking for brackets to take place of the acura cl stuff.

Comment

when you say "vtec calipers", are the 92-95 lude vtec calipers interchangable with the 97+ ones?

Comment

he has the whole front knuckle, which are 4 lug, he could swap it right over after he puts a new vtec lude rotors on. just because, he could take the accord stuff out of the upper and lower balljoints and replace with the lude knuckle.
            Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

yeah, you could replace the whole knuckle.. although im not positive that they are exactly the same. Should work though. Just make sure to get an alignment after you do it.

also, i only think 92-96 will work w/o more modification. i think 97-01 calipers were bigger or different mount or something.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
                yeah, you could replace the whole knuckle.. although im not positive that they are exactly the same. Should work though. Just make sure to get an alignment after you do it.

also, i only think 92-96 will work w/o more modification. i think 97-01 calipers were bigger or different mount or something.
                97-01 status ludes have the exact same everything....all u have to do is just swap the knuckle on.
                Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

i was under the impression that the knuckles wouldnt swap over... but why would everybody go and get CL knuckles and stuff to do the rotor-over-hub swap if they could just use lude stuff?

anyone know for sure what can swap over from the lude?

Current cars:

Comment

Thats why i was kinda doubting that the whole arm swaps over. Oh actually.. the arm may swap over, the difference is the hubs. The hubs on the prelude are different because accord axles will not fit in prelude hubs and visa versa. Which also, the accord bearings are not the same... where the accord and the 99 cl 2.3 are the same exact.

So if you were going to use the prelude knuckle(if it fits correctly) you will need to pretty much take it all apart to put the new hub and bearing assy. on it, which very well may not bolt up or fit on the knuckle. So it wouldnt be worth it unless your knuckle is bent or something.

Your best bet is just to use the accord knuckles, get new bearings(from accord or 99 cl 2.3), the hubs(from the cl), and then use the brackets and calipers from the lude, and get new rotors and pads, obviously for the prelude. Bearings are about 100 for a pair, you might as well replace them. If you replace them, then you just have to press them onto the new cl hub, and the accord stuff you can just unbolt in one big piece and throw away. Where if you tried to reuse the old bearings, you would have to have the whole assembly pressed apart, then the hubs pressed off, then press them on the cl hub.

I am still unsure of the 97-01 prelude stuff fitting, i have never heard of anyone using it, so i would kinda doubt it. Werent they all 5 lug pattern? I know that only has to deal w/the hub, but there are prolly some other slight changes.

Comment

im running lude calipers w wagon rotors, its the easyest (spelling...) way (T25 bracket thats the one found on the wagon, the lude has got a T23 bracket and that wont work with wagon rotors)

i tried to swap the lude arm, but it doesnt fit (the lower joint on the accord one is thinner, so the thicker lude joint wont fit in)
                      and also the steering "joint"on the accord arm is much smaller vs the lude one

The only thing that does fit is the bearing-hub assy....

But when i swap over to the porsche brakes, i might swap the arms over and make them fit (beac. of the stronger joints)
                      Last edited by Dutchaccord; 12-19-2004, 06:22 PM.

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
                      For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

I did the 4th gen lude vtec brake swap back in '98. Problem is that you have to use the lude lower control arm to use the prelude knuckle but then your offset is thrown off. My rims were sticking out about 1/2" to 3/4" on the front. So I ended up scraping that project cause I bought my volks and I wanted to keep it simple. Braking was nice though. These calipers are identical to the 5th gen lude vtec and integra type r. Dutchaccord has the best way in using the vtec lude calipers. Use the Wagon rotors and the lude calipers.
                        Carlos
                        My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                          just wondering what the benefit of using prelude front calipers is, and also a little more info. i know of a few people who used the prelude brackets, i guess for upgraded performance... why use just the brackets? what if you use the whole thing? do you need to use prelude rotors too?

just curious because i have a set of 94 lude calipers in the garage, figured when im replacing the master cyl (boo) id throw em on before i bleed everything, if they woudl provide a benefit...

from usc a while back:

Originally posted by usc
                          well, the prelude caliper on the stock Accord rotor wouldn't give you any added benefit whatsoever. the prelude pad area may be bigger (i'm speculating here) but if you can lock the brakes up w/ stock calipers already, there's no need for prelude calipers.
                          seems to me like you need to do pads, rotors, and calipers at a minimum to see any benefit.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

couldnt you use lude rotors as well and not have any problems?? Whats so much easier about using wagon rotors??
                            FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

lude rotors = rotor over hub
                              wagon rotors = hub over rotor
                              Carlos
                              My Members Ride Page

Comment

Working...
                              X