Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this brake setup possible/safe??

**The Problem**

I have a 91 EX wagon. i want to run a set of 14x7 wheels. (dont tell me i cant. this is what i want. if you dont have anything constructive to add dont post. thanks.)

**The Plan**

Ditch the Wagon Knuckles/calipers for some ROH swapped sedan/coupe knuckles/calipers

**The Facts**

The wagon has 11.1 rotors.
    The wagon has larger calipers.
    The wagon uses single piston calipers.

The ROH swap also uses 11.1 rotors.
    The sedan/coupe calipers are also single piston.
    The pads are slightly smaller.

**Questions/Concerns**

-If i use this ROH setup would it still be safe on a wagon?
    With a sedan/coupe. ROH is like a brake upgrade and wagon knuckles/calipers are also an upgrade. so if im putting the ROH setup inplace of the wagon stuff wouldnt that pretty much break even so to speak?
    -Could i counter the smaller brake pads with better pads such as EBC or something like that? would it even make a difference?
    -For the most part the wagon will be used as a dd to get me about 15 miles back and forth to school. and if i get a second job at a pizza shop doing delivery. but 90% of my driving will be speeds less then 50mph and around town. also. my wagon is 5 speed and i use the transmission to slow me down so im not heavy on the brakes to begin with.
    -Would this still be considered a safe brake setup if i wanted to go on a road trip? i live in pa and have family in Indiana. id rather take the wagon out there then my girls Saturn but if its not safe then i wouldnt even consider it.

Any thoughts/imput is much appreciated.

What ROH setup are you talking about? The coupe and sedan are the same setup as h wagon right up to the rotor which is 2mm thicker than the non wagon setup.

Comment

Ok I can tell you this right now you have 2 probs you will deal with

1. Using smaller pads and calipers will not work on either or 11.1 rotor setup.

2. the smallest wheel that can be used is 15in.

Why you will ask?

1. The caliper will hit the rotor(friction from caliper to rotor) causing it to crack if it will turn at all.

2.because the caliper will NOT clear the 14in wheel even with a smaller caliper. That is why wagons use 15in wheels and also have a full size 15in spare. (I tried it thats how I know it wont work) I tried to fit 14in wheel on a wagon at a junkyard to see if the wheel would look good.

So if you want to run 11.1 rotors 15in wheels and calipers that are the correct size for 11.1 rotors
      Last edited by Darkcloud; 07-28-2011, 04:29 AM.
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

coupes - im planning to run the normal ROH swap. with the acura 2.3 hubs and 98-02 accord rotors. i used this setup on my coupe before and it worked wonderfully.

darkcloud - if it is true that running smaller pads and calipers wont work on 11.1 in rotors. then why do you retain your stock calipers and pads when you do a ROH swap?
        the ROH swap with the smaller coupe/sedan caliper does clear 14 in steelies. if you dont believe me look at my MRT on my coupe.
        just a side note... ROH rotors ARE 11.1 in also. same size as the wagon. the only differnece is the caliper.

so my biggest question is will i still have enough stopping power for the wagon.

Comment

i wouldn't risk it doesn't seem like it would be safe in a panic stop or if your brake are needed more than others (mountain roads,etc)
          ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by cb7resurrector View Post
            coupes - im planning to run the normal ROH swap. with the acura 2.3 hubs and 98-02 accord rotors. i used this setup on my coupe before and it worked wonderfully.

darkcloud - if it is true that running smaller pads and calipers wont work on 11.1 in rotors. then why do you retain your stock calipers and pads when you do a ROH swap?
            the ROH swap with the smaller coupe/sedan caliper does clear 14 in steelies. if you dont believe me look at my MRT on my coupe.
            just a side note... ROH rotors ARE 11.1 in also. same size as the wagon. the only differnece is the caliper.

so my biggest question is will i still have enough stopping power for the wagon.

Um... 98-02 4 lug rotors are NOT 11.1 inches......(I don't know what they are. I believe they are the same size as stock, OEM, coupe and sedan CB7 rotors)

if you do a ROH conversion for a wagon you end up using 92-96 prelude VTEC rotors, which are 11.1 inches. (also to note: prelude VTEC rotors are thinner than stock, OEM, wagon rotors. 23mm vs 25mm, so you have to swap caliper brackets as well.)

EDIT:

in theory you could down grade your brakes to sedan/coupe ROH. you would also have to get coupe/sedan calipers and brackets. The steering knuckles should be the same (not entirely sure on that one, you'd have to look up OEM part numbers)
            Last edited by mtnbikaah; 07-28-2011, 10:00 AM.
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by cb7resurrector View Post

If you were running a 14in wheel with a roh setup using 11.1 rotors, then why did you post you want to run 14x7 if it clears??? so you say.

You ran stock accord or CL 10in rotors on that coupe. I'am telling you 11.1 rotors plus the caipers will not will not clear 14in wheels, the caiper adds an 1in to the rotors. Thus making it not being able to fit at all

And no you will not have the proper braking power to stop the wagon. That is why Wagons have bigger calipers.

But its your car do what you want to it.
              NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
              DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

i agree w/ darkcloud. if you use 11.1" rotors you have to use the corresponding calipers.
                i know. i went from stock sedan calipers and rotors; to wagon rotors w/ legend gs calipers. then 95 ody rotors w/ the same legend gs calipers because i went 5 lug. the stock sedan and coupe calipers are not big enough for the 11.1 rotors. and the min. size rim to run is 15" wheels for the 11.1" rotors and matchable calipers. 14" in. wheels will not clear.
                the only way to run those 14x7 wheels on your wagon, is to downgrade your stock wagon brakes to sedan/coupe brakes. but why would anyone want to downgrade?

Comment

Working...
                X