Vigor rear discs >= Accord rear discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vigor rear discs >= Accord rear discs?

I decided recently to do a rear disc swap on my 92 Accord LX wagon, after several of the wheel studs in the rear snapped when I went to put on new tires. And then upon inspection I found the drums and shoes to be worn. Since I know nothing about drum setups, I went to the junkyard to get the parts for a rear disc swap. When searching the yard, I found only one 90-93 Accord with rear discs. And of course both calipers had been taken, along with the hub and rotor on one side. And whoever removed the calipers was too lazy to unbolt the e-brake cable and the brake line so those were cut. So I didn't go with it. Kept looking though, found a 94 vigor they didn't have listed, with the complete rear disc setup intact. Looked pretty similar, so about 2 hours later I left with the whole rear disc setup and the rear sway bar for 90 bucks.

Anyway, I just successfully replaced the rear drums on my 92 Accord LX wagon with the trailing arms, knuckles, sway bar, and most importantly, discs from a 94 Acura Vigor. Then I did rear Koni Yellows, and green Tein lowering springs. Still some kinks to work out (a couple noises I haven't identified, could be a bad wheel bearing or strut mount or the tein springs breaking in or something), but it does indeed work. So far, I have no idea if there is any rear advantage to the vigor brakes. The one thing I have found out is the height of the Accord rotors is 48.6 mm, and the height of the vigor rotors is 63.6 mm. So it's like I just threw on a pair of 15 mm spacers. Wheels are sitting pretty much flush with the quarterpanels. Looks decent, would be better if the panels weren't so rusty.

Anyway, if anyone else is planning on doing this, there are only a few parts you need from the old setup.

Accord left brake hose bracket. The one that is up near the gas tank
    Accord e-brake cable brackets. None of the vigor ones match up.
    Haven't attached the e-brake cables yet, so I can't confirm if it works or if it is a bit too long. May need the accord e-brake cables. Not positive, can't confirm.

Also, the right rear of the car is making what seems like some rubbing noises if I turn left significantly while at speeds above about 20 mph. Any ideas?

My first question is, aren't the Vigor brakes bigger than the accords? I would like to see pics your setup. You and I have similar mindsets about the Vigor (well using parts off it). I wish I could help with the noise part, my only guess is check to see what your wheel is doing and all bolts are tightened.

I think you should do a DIY on this. Could be useful esp if one can't find Accord or Prelude rear ends to swap discs with.
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

My first question is, aren't the Vigor brakes bigger than the accords?
      I think the fronts are, the rears are the same. I have a wagon so the fronts are the same size anyway.

I wish I could help with the noise part, my only guess is check to see what your wheel is doing and all bolts are tightened.
      I'll probably just take it into a shop to get the alignment and have them look at it in the process.

I would like to see pics your setup.
      Maybe later when it's daytime and I have a camera.

Could be useful esp if one can't find Accord or Prelude rear ends to swap discs with.
      yes, but the Vigor is, to my knowledge, quite a bit harder to find than the Accord/Prelude. The advantage seems to just be that the vigor rotor sits out 15 mm further so it's like having a spacer.

Here's the DIY.
      1. Do the swap just like you would normally
      2. Use the driver's side brake hose bracket (near the gas tank) from the Accord, the vigor one doesn't fit.
      3. Use the E-brake cable brackets from the Accord E-brake cables, the vigor ones are different.
      4. Enjoy your accord

Comment

Too easy!!!
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Yep. Just make sure that if you do the swap you do it right, don't cheap out, and while your rear end is taken apart, replace anything that needs replacing

Comment

Working...
          X