sawblades hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sawblades hit?

i've got a set of sawblades on my car and if i turn the wheel to sharp something hits, it really only happends in reverse. i'm not sure if its the wheel weights or what. anyone else have this problem? I do know my tie rod ends need to be replaced, maybe the wheel is being over extended from them and hitting

Prelude wheels? I have a set of Prelude wheels (non 'sawblade', 6.5" wide with a 55mm offset, as opposed to the stock Accord wheels at 5.5" wide with a 50mm offset), and when I first fitted these to the Accord I had contact (at full steering lock) between the inner wheel rim edge and the lowest part of the anti-roll bar (aka swaybar) linkage. I could feel the rim rubbing harshly as well as contacting the wheel weights (actually chewing one of the weights up).

The problem is that the inner lip of the Prelude wheel is about 17mm closer to the centreline of the chassis than is the inner lip of the stock wheel (i.e. half the additional 1" of rim width + the additional 5mm of offset).

What you need to do is to limit the maximum degree of steering lock / motion so that the contact does not occur. With my car I've used a number of strips of reinforced rubber sheet (cut from an old radiator hose) wrapped around the rearward leg of the coilover support (the bifurcated thingy between the coilover and the LCA that goes around the driveshaft).

These rubber strips are made to be as long as possible, and are held in place by several large cable ties wrapped tightly around the whole coilover support leg and the rubber (that also partially wraps around the support leg). The rubber is layered to make up the required thickness (in my case I needed to use three layers of rubber, each layer about 4mm thick), and is placed between the coilover leg and the end of the steering arm, i.e. at full steering lock the end of the steering arm comes into contact with the home made rubber pad before the wheel rim contacts the anti-roll bar linkage.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by johnl; 08-08-2009, 09:10 PM.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

I believe the specs for the sawblades are the same as the non-sawblades..As John mentioned, 15x6.5" +55 offset..

What tire size are you running with these wheels? I also had a set of the non-sawblade Lude wheels last year, running 205/60/15, and the fronts did rub on full steering lock...But for me, it was just the tires rubbing against the inner side of the fenders...So I slapped on a pair of 5mm spacers up front and that alone fixed the problem

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

wow john, that was technical i'm gonna have the guys use stick-on weights for the inners next balance and see if that helps. noticed the rear inside weights have been shaved also. if thats not the fix, i'll be more carefull to stay out of steering lock.

thanks for the replies

Comment

i had the same problem with my blades, i dont think inner weights is gonna help. just dont turn the wheel all the way and u will be ok. or maybe spacers
          NEW PSN
          H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
          RIP

Comment

Mine only hit in reverse when i crank the wheel all the way in one direction. Dont do that and youll be fine.

Comment

I have the same issues with CD rims on my CB. It rubs if I turn past halfway.

Comment

Originally posted by MethodFX View Post
                i've got a set of sawblades on my car and if i turn the wheel to sharp something hits, it really only happends in reverse. i'm not sure if its the wheel weights or what. anyone else have this problem? I do know my tie rod ends need to be replaced, maybe the wheel is being over extended from them and hitting
                i had the exact same thing happen to me w/ those wheels..my left front would make a scrapping sound when fully turned to the left and only going in reverse...never figured out what caused this as the sawblades were my temp wheels and i never really had to make reverse doughnuts...

Comment

I cant remember if this correct but hopefully he will see this and chime in.
                  excalibur02 once told me i could swap tie rods from left to right and right to left and that would solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                    What tire size are you running with these wheels? I also had a set of the non-sawblade Lude wheels last year, running 205/60/15, and the fronts did rub on full steering lock...But for me, it was just the tires rubbing against the inner side of the fenders...So I slapped on a pair of 5mm spacers up front and that alone fixed the problem
                    Ronald, your tyres are too big and as a result your speedometer will read slow. On 6.5" wide wheels you want either 195/60/15 or 205/55/15. You could probably fit 215/50/15 but these would too wide for the rim.

In your case it's likely that the tyre contacting the inner fender prevented the wheel contacting the suspension. Spacers are one solution, but I wouldn't go longer than 5mm (absolute max, and I'd really prefer not to use them at all) because the wheel studs aren't long enough.
                    Regards from Oz,
                    John.

Comment

wow john, that was technical
                      It's a very easy and low tech solution to the problem.

if thats not the fix, i'll be more carefull to stay out of steering lock.
                      I guarantee that you will not be able to always remember to avoid turning the steering too far. Really, you should address the problem and not ignore it (keep in mind that other people will probably drive the car at least on occasion). The fix is very simple.
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatman88 View Post
                        I cant remember if this correct but hopefully he will see this and chime in.
                        excalibur02 once told me i could swap tie rods from left to right and right to left and that would solve the problem.
                        No. The problem has nothing to do with the tie rods. It's to do with the wheel rim contacting the lowest of the bush retaining discs on the the anti-roll bar linkages. Nothing you can do to the tie rods will affect this.
                        Regards from Oz,
                        John.

Comment

has anybody done spacers? what size? how much?

Comment

Did no one read my post? Got too mesmerized with johnl's technical explanation or what?! lol no offense to you John! I'll just quote myself..Or you can scroll up a few posts...Either way

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                            I believe the specs for the sawblades are the same as the non-sawblades..As John mentioned, 15x6.5" +55 offset..

Ronald

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                              Ronald, your tyres are too big and as a result your speedometer will read slow. On 6.5" wide wheels you want either 195/60/15 or 205/55/15. You could probably fit 215/50/15 but these would too wide for the rim.

In your case it's likely that the tyre contacting the inner fender prevented the wheel contacting the suspension. Spacers are one solution, but I wouldn't go longer than 5mm (absolute max, and I'd really prefer not to use them at all) because the wheel studs aren't long enough.
                              John! Thanks for the advice...I decided to go with 205/60/15 for my winter setup to get more ground clearance as my car was sitting very low lol that and I wasn't too worried about my speedometer because I wouldn't be going very fast with 30cm of ice and snow on the road I did try 195/60/15 at one point in time, and the car did feel better..Acceleration wise at least...But for harsh winter time I'm willing to sacrifice acceleration for ground clearance

That setup was before I went 5-lugs though...This winter I'll be running 17x8" +30 (plus spacers) with possibly either 225/45/17 or 215/45/17 tires all around...So my speedometer will be even more off!! lol

And I agree with John, you don't want to go bigger than 5mm spacers with stock studs..Definitely not a good idea!

Ronald

Comment

Working...
                              X