17" Rim Basic Offset + Wear and Tear Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" Rim Basic Offset + Wear and Tear Questions

Found a good website www.wheelsnext.com for rims and tires and even free shipping to Canada. Picking out of there styles, I'm looking at 16/17" rims.

(In order of lightest to heaviest)
    http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...ze%20Flat.html

Now all the other numbers I'm not really sure if it's good for the Accord. They will also fit the stock bolt pattern of 4x114.3.

1.The offset for all the rims are 42 vs the 46 stock, does that make a difference how so?
    2. How will the rims last in regular wear and tear (babying the rims, cleaning all can, also have separate winter set)? Will colours affect this much as I'm leaning for a clean bronze look on the rims. Scratches?

Random question, the first rim the 16" is more expensive then the 17" is this because the size is just more popular?

Now onto tires.

1. Do summer tires work in the rain well?
    2. Sidewall and tire width, 45 and 205 good? How do I know if it will fit on the rim? Would it make the ride more comfortable with wider/skinner tires vs regular size tires? (But wider and skinner tires improve handling correct?)
    Last edited by CB7Nub; 02-14-2010, 01:10 AM.
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Those are some nice rims. In that first link, the 17 inch rims are cheaper than the 16's. Weird

Comment

Um...Stock offset is 55 foo...
      Anyways, Id personally stay away from any of those.
      For a wagon these would be dope:

Comment

im gonna get the m2 machined black ones, but i wanna see what a 42 offset looks like on our cars
        My Honda

Comment

42 offset wont affect anything.

tire wise, i like them a little beefier so 205/50 is nice. if you are slammed and want the rubber band look then 45 would suffice.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Ah lol there was a picture of all the Honda rim/tire specs and got it off that.
            Would 225/40/17 work well also looking at 205/45/17, how do I know if the tire width can fit on the rim?
            What about summer tires in the rain and such?

Yeah the M2's look amazing, the DC-6's also weight about 3 pounds less EACH rim. Hmmm so many choices.
            Last edited by CB7Nub; 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM.
            Current:

Past:

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

First off, nice and logical way to post a question thread.

1. The higher offset will slightly push the rims out of the wheel wells. The 4mm difference, though, will most likely be overshadowed by the fact that the rims are wider than stock.

2. As for longevity, it really depends on the rim manufacturer. I can see the silver fading on my $380/set rims now, but its still pretty hard to notice. I've had them for 4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the rims you selected last longer.

Random question: I'm supposing that the first rim is more expensive due to the weight and the brand. Frankly, that's a lot of money for those rims.

1. I have no input for rain, I hardly drive in it.

2. 205/45 looks decent. I bought 205/40 on my first set of 17's, just cause that was the only size that the Ecsta MX was offered. Fortunately I bought the set from TireRack, because I ended up sending them back as soon as I saw them. That little sidewall, at least to me, is really unattractive.

The second set I ordered were 205/50s, which I liked quite a bit. Since I'm not slammed, I wanted the taller sidewalls to help fill out the wheel gap.

The third set, which I'm working on right now, are 215/45s. I'm extremely close to rubbing on the rears right now, but it does clear. These are on effectively untouched fenders, no rolling involved. All in all, I'm very pleased with this tire size. When I get around to ordering my next set, I'll probably either go with 205/55s or 215/50s. While it might force me to roll the rear fenders a little bit, I think it's worth it. Sidewall eats up tire gap, provides a slightly softer ride, and protects your rims. It also gives you slightly lower cruising RPMs, as I have about a 3.5% gearing advantage as I sit.

To be honest, I think I made a mistake when I chose my rims. I needed a set pretty badly, as I was running on a space-saver spare, but I should've shopped around more. I now realize, you can get used QUALITY rims for about the same as what you're planning to spend. While the allure of new rims is strong, I really think holding out and waiting on a legitimate set of rims is worth it.

http://www.jdm-wheels.com/181vsxx.html
              They are five lug, but you should be able to find their four lug counterpart for roughly the same price. The superficial pride from those rims is great, but more importantly, you would be furthering the image of a legitimate wheel maker that actually spends its profit on research and development.

I'm running 17x7s on 42ET wheels, so its a darned similar set up to what you're leaning towards. I can snap some pictures of tire clearances later today.

Comment

Thanks TheNextEpisode.
                I haven't really driven the car since I still in the process of getting my CB9 on the road, do they have understeer? If so is it worth it to go 215/50/17 front (will that rub?) then 205/45/17 in the back or would I slip all the time?
                Current:

Past:

Comment

I run on a set of asa ar1 17 x 7's with +38 offset on 205/50/17 rikken raptors (summer tires) lowered 2ish inches with no rubbing, I drive in the snow/rain/everything and I only have a problem in the slushy stuff. in the rain they are good I dont' drive like an ass in the rain so no traction issues but by no means do I drive under the speed limit in the rain.

Comment

My replies.

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                    Found a good website...wheelsnext.com...

Wheelsnext.com is decent, but their cheaper rims are, well, cheap.

Have you tried:

http://www.wheelfire.com/
                    This place is very similar to wheelsnext.

http://jlbmotorsports.com/

This place has some very popular wheel brands and they sell them at a great price.

(In order of lightest to heaviest)

They all look "cheap" and pretty low quality if you ask me. Just my opinion. I think you could find better elsewhere.

Now all the other numbers I'm not really sure if it's good for the Accord. They will also fit the stock bolt pattern of 4x114.3.

1.The offset for all the rims are 42 vs the 46 stock, does that make a difference how so?
                    The offset is different. The less positive offset, the more they will stick out of the wheel well. 42 isn't much of a difference from stock.

2. How will the rims last in regular wear and tear (babying the rims, cleaning all can, also have separate winter set)? Will colours affect this much as I'm leaning for a clean bronze look on the rims. Scratches?
                    Those cheapies aren't going to hold up that well. After a while, paint fade/chipping, etc.

Random question, the first rim the 16" is more expensive then the 17" is this because the size is just more popular?
                    Probably a difference in quality.

Now onto tires.

1. Do summer tires work in the rain well?
                    Not too bad.

2. Sidewall and tire width, 45 and 205 good? How do I know if it will fit on the rim? Would it make the ride more comfortable with wider/skinner tires vs regular size tires? (But wider and skinner tires improve handling correct?)
                    205/45/R17 would work without rubbing. I think 215/50 or 215/45 would be most ideal though.
                    R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

on my 17s i have right now there's 215/45 r 17..look good not too small or too bulky..hate rubber band tires with a passion...

Last edited by cb7_ex_coupe; 03-15-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

what is the offset on those sentra rims you are sporting? I like the look of the new tenzo wheels and from what I have heard is that tenzo has done a 180 in quality, I guess they got tired of being know as a crappy brand.

Comment

Working...
                        X