Shopping for new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for new tires

That time is nearing where I must decide on which tire to choose for my car.

I am in need of some opinions. I will be buying from Discount Tire, due to free tire services and warranties. They also have amazing prices.

What I am looking for out of a tire, is a fairly quiet, long lasting tread, all season tire. I will be going with the factory 185/70/14 size. I do not need a performance tire at all.

I am currently running Uniroyal Tiger Paw. They seem to be wearing quicker than I would expect them too. They are 3 or 4 years old but only have roughly 25k miles on them. They're all wearing evenly as well.

I have been looking at a few tire options on the website that are available in my area.

If you would like to see the options in my area, the zip code is 28806.

Options:

Falken Sincera SN-828
    Size: 185/70R-14 88T BLK
    Warranty: 50,000 Miles
    Rating: 8.2
    Price: $59

General Altimax RT
    Size: 185/70R14 88T BSW
    Warranty: 70,000 Miles
    Rating: 8.0
    Price: $59

Yokohama AVID Touring-S
    Size: P185/70R-14 87S BSW
    Warranty: 65,000 Miles
    Rating: 9.1
    Price: $66

I am leaning towards the Yokohama tires due to the higher rating.

If you have any personal experience with any of the tires I have listed above, please comment with your opinion. If you can suggest another tire within the same requirements and price range, let me know as well. I am on a budget, so, I will not be forking out 400+ on tires.

EDIT: I am considering only buying two for now as I only have one tire that is low on tread, and another that is plugged. The two on the driver side are fine. I am thinking of putting two new tires on the front.

I know that I will have one of the old tires remounted.
    Last edited by dysfunk; 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

I did a little more research and found the UTQG ratings for all three tires. Once I found out what UTQG meant, now my choice will be easier to make. I will be looking at other tire stores as well to see if they've got any good deals.
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Those prices ALMOST make me wish had 14s. But 16s will do just fine.

I've enjoyed my Michelin MXV4s. They're vey quiet on the highway, they have decent grip and the performace in wet road conditions has been very pleasing. They're a little above your listed prices but well worth their premium.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The yokohamas would be better in the snow/ice than the generals.

They would also wear better, be quieter, and are made in the US.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I've got the Sincera Touring sn211 right now in a 195/60/15 size on my DD and they're pretty nice. 80,000 mile treadwear rating, decently quiet on the highway and even over broken pavement and wear really evenly if rotated every 5k miles or so.

They came on my 90 EX when I bought the car, the guy just put new tires on 3 months prior. I've put on close to 25k miles on the car since last year and they still hold balance fine, don't have any issues with dry rotting (esp here in AZ that's good) and the rubber still feels nice and pliable. Good bang for the buck tire. they look like they're only slightly cheaper than your SN828s too w/ a 30k miles more of warranty. UTQG is 720 on these.

I found them online for 63 bucks a piece on onlinetires.com http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...11+87t+bw.html

Looks like its even cheaper for your size, 57 bucks! although its 66 bucks for shipping OTD around 294 bucks.
          http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...11+87t+bw.html
          Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
            EDIT: I am considering only buying two for now as I only have one tire that is low on tread, and another that is plugged. The two on the driver side are fine. I am thinking of putting two new tires on the front.

I know that I will have one of the old tires remounted.
            The tires with the most tread ALWAYS go in the rear. So move the ugly ones to the front and re-align.

And just for my .02 I would go with Yokohama, simply because of the name.

Why not try TireRack? They beat Discount both times INCLUDING shipping on my Continentals.
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
              The tires with the most tread ALWAYS go in the rear. So move the ugly ones to the front and re-align.

And just for my .02 I would go with Yokohama, simply because of the name.

Why not try TireRack? They beat Discount both times INCLUDING shipping on my Continentals.
              281.16 mounted and balanced for a set of four Yokohamas at Discount Tire. There's an actual brick and mortar Discount Tire here in Asheville. I wouldn't have to pay for shipping at all.

Tirerack has them for the same price, then 49 dollars for shipping, which will make it 312.98 without being mounted and balanced.
              Last edited by dysfunk; 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM.
              2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I didn't look up the siz, if it available I would try to get Michelin Defenders.

New tires always to the rear !

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Working...
                X