Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance?

Those of you who have done an engine swap or something, how do you deal with insurance?

As in, do you tell insurance company about it? Do you hide it and put the cover from the stock engine on?

I know I won't be doing a swap anytime soon, but if I ever do it on my car, I'd like to take least amount of risk as possible with getting into trouble with insurance

insurance never looked under my hood?
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Dont tell em shit more than what they need to know which is none of their business. Mention anything out of the ordinary to them and they will ask for more money plain and simple.

Comment

whats insurance?
        To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
          insurance never looked under my hood?
          Nah, I mean, let's say you get into an accident and have to get the stuff repaired. How will insurance handle it?

Comment

i did ask my insurance about it, cause if anything did happen i wanted coverage on my setup. all they asked was if it was the same size, and i said yes, cause it is... both being 2.2ltr, so they dont care past that. they just said if anything does happen, get a receipt for proof and thats all they need.

btw, i have state farm.

Comment

Yeah, insurance doesn't neet to know that it's more powerful, just that it's a 2.2L 4cyl. Of course, if you get in an accident and want to have them pay for it (full coverage, that is) then they would probably want to know the value. I considered getting my H22 insured seperately from the car, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
                i did ask my insurance about it, cause if anything did happen i wanted coverage on my setup. all they asked was if it was the same size, and i said yes, cause it is... both being 2.2ltr, so they dont care past that. they just said if anything does happen, get a receipt for proof and thats all they need.

btw, i have state farm.
                That makes sense, thanks for the response!

Comment

insurance 1) doesnt care about the engine, its whatever car/model is on the registration, and 2) won't cover the engine, only whatever is stock unlike aftermarket wheels/stereo which you can get addl coverage for

Comment

I wonder what kind of policy you could get on the engine. There has to be a theft policy that you could take out... If you pay enough, you can insure anything It's all based on the likelihood that they'll have to pay out.

Insurance companies SHOULD charge more for certain modifications, like an H22 swap. Someone who adds 75hp to their car wants to go fast. People who want to go fast are a risk... much more than people who drive red cars (and a red car will get you a higher insurance bill, I believe)

Comment

Working...
                    X