Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 tranny mounts

Swapping an H22 into an earlier chassis
    It's actually easier. An OBD I H22 can be swapped into a '90-to-'93 chassis using all the stock engine mounts. The exhaust system is a direct bolt up (aside from being painfully small) with the Prelude's downpipe and cat. Your original fuel rail will work on the H22, and you also won't need to swap the 6 and 11 pin on the ECU. If your oldie has an automatic, you'll need P/N 60831-SM4-300ZZ to mount the manual transmission. On the plus side, the earlier chassis is about 100 pounds lighter, and if you're picky, you can still get four-wheel discs.

Has anyone here swapped a auto to manual h22? It says you need different transmission mounts, let me know how it went cause i am fixing to do this.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0311scc_hybrid/

you will need to use the manual transmission mounts for the tranny.
    incase you haven't seen this yet:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=&threadid=588
    ~~~~~~~

Comment

the auto tranny mount is higher so u need the manual one welded in instead
      All Motor H22 90 Accord
      13.5@104mph

Comment

i dropped a manual H22 into my automatic accord...

there are three parts to the tranny mount, theres the round rubber mount itself, the black metal plate thats bolted to the bottom of it, and the metal bracket thats welded to the side of the car.

to convert the car, you need to weld the new bracket to the side of the car, and you need a new metal plate for the mount itself. autozone/advance auto seem to have a very hard time finding the correct 5speed accord mount, so if you just reuse the round rubber mount and just bolt the manual version of the plate to the bottom of it, youll be good (cheaper that way too).

both the bracket and the plate you can get from the dealer, like $25 each.

the manual mount plate is #7 in this pic, top left corner: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...13SM40_J26.gif

the part number listed in ur first post is for the bracket that gets welded to the car. - do NOT just weld the new bracket in the same place as the old one!!! the new mount gets welded further forward towards the front of the car... heres my post explaining how i took care of finding the place to get it welded, taken from this thread http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...threadid=12658 :
        the automatic tranny mount bracket had 14 spot welds all around it, i had to drill those out and pry the old bracket off, grind all of the paint and everything down, then we dropped the whole motor into the bay and got it mounted on the three other mounts, so we would know EXACTLY where the tranny mount is suposed to be welded... then my dads friend put a couple tack welds around the edges to hold it there, and we took the motor back out, then he got in the engine bay and did an awesome job welding all of the edges of the new mount bracket. we then sanded, primed, painted the mount, then dropped the motor in and it mounted perfectly like normal.
        youll also have to deal with some wiring to get the car to start... if u have any questions about converting hte car from auto to manual, lemme know, but thats not really related to ur tranny mount problem.

btw dont follow that guide, 90% of the stuff they talk about doesnt have to do with 9093 accords, and they also have some errors in it. check out the Popular Thread Index in the 'swaps' forum, we have an f22 removal guide and an h22 preparation guide (goes over everything u need to get the h22 ready to drop right back into the car).

good luck, its a fun project

no really, it is, steve.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
          good luck, its a fun project

no really, it is, steve.
          haha, i guess we'll see

Comment

Thanks for the comments. If i get the complete swap from hmotorsonline, does it come with everything needed for the manual tranny to hook up right? And also, will it come with the mounts?

Comment

WHen i did my swap i got the front clip just to make sure i didn't run into not being able to find any parts. i ended up switching out the front crossmember for the preludes, and that did away with that weekass dogbone looking thing. i also didn't have to weld anything to get that mount to fit eithor. it just ook alot of time griding on the stock manual trans mount to make it fit. if your short on cash might be the best option. you will have to flip thoose too pins on the ecu, you will also have to cut the wire for the shift lock soliniod unless you want to disconnect your batt every time you want to take the key out of your car. Also don't for get to jump the park/netrual safty switch. that isn't hard to find, it's in the center consol, it's the only 2 wire connector in there. and for the shift lock, get a chiltons manual and you will have to do some digging to find it in the steering column. and i wouldn't say that the exhaust is a direct bolt up, the flagges are slightly different, takes a little drilling but you can get it to fit with out any real problems. ask if you run into any problems

Comment

can anyone actually verify that the metal brackets that are welded to the car are actually different from autos and 5spds?i kno that the metal plate that the mount attaches to are different, and that would explain the reason why if u use the auto parts the will tilt or whatever. but i'm thinking why would honda actually mount the brackets in different spots because that really wouldn't be cost effective, espcially since the auto have the holes and other brackets for 5spds. also what did everyone do about the rear motor mounts? because on auto i kno they are hydraulic and have vacuum lines and all and im pretty sure the 5spds are just rubber. so did everyone just put the 5spd one on and block off the vacuum lines or what?? any input would be great . thanx

Comment

Originally posted by jskidude1
                  i ended up switching out the front crossmember for the preludes, and that did away with that weekass dogbone looking thing.
                  elaborate on this. Is it just a bolt in? all the crossmember bolts in the same position?

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4th gen
                    can anyone actually verify that the metal brackets that are welded to the car are actually different from autos and 5spds?i kno that the metal plate that the mount attaches to are different, and that would explain the reason why if u use the auto parts the will tilt or whatever. but i'm thinking why would honda actually mount the brackets in different spots because that really wouldn't be cost effective, espcially since the auto have the holes and other brackets for 5spds. also what did everyone do about the rear motor mounts? because on auto i kno they are hydraulic and have vacuum lines and all and im pretty sure the 5spds are just rubber. so did everyone just put the 5spd one on and block off the vacuum lines or what?? any input would be great . thanx
                    i can def verify it, i did it. totally different location, it isnt the plate under the mount that will make it tip, its the completely different location of the mount bracket thats welded to the car. lemme find my pics...

also about the rear mount, you can use the automatic rear mount and bracket from the automatic, just you need to remove that vacuum plunger from the right side of the mount to make room for the shifter cables. feel free to pull off the vac lines and whatever else, they lead to that solenoid thing on the center of the firewall- i unplugged that and removed it, and all of the vac lines that went with it.

notice the 5spd bracket is lined up with that screw hole, the auto bracket is further back towards the firewall, also the auto mount swoops upward and the bolt hole is actually like an inch or two higher than the 5spd mount one.

MANUAL MOUNT BRACKET:
                    [img]http://****.creed-fanatic.com/5spdbracket.jpg[/img]

AUTOMATIC BRACKET:
                    [img]http://****.creed-fanatic.com/autobracket.jpg[/img]
                    Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-14-2004, 05:44 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

alright thanx for the info mike. does using the prelude tranny mount help any? just another question about the metal bracket. the part number in the first post and the part number on majestic honda are different. does anyone kno what the part number it the first post goes to specifically? and mike when u did your solid mounts u just used the auto rear mount to fill?

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4th gen
                        alright thanx for the info mike. does using the prelude tranny mount help any? just another question about the metal bracket. the part number in the first post and the part number on majestic honda are different. does anyone kno what the part number it the first post goes to specifically? and mike when u did your solid mounts u just used the auto rear mount to fill?
                        according to a couple guys on here, they say that if you use the manual prelude mount, bolted to the manual tranny, that it will let you bolt the manual tranny in, while leaving the odd-shaped auto mount bracket welded to the car. they say they know of a shop that has been doing it that way with no problems , and i also tried measuring the height/offset differences and it looks like it MIGHT work... but then again, we had another guy on here say he tried it and was having lots of problems, his crank was just about rubbing the side of the engine bay, he was having axle problems, etc etc... so idk... i was gonna try it to see if it worked, but i already had the new mount bracket, so i just got it welded on so i knew i wouldnt have any problems, and never got around to trying it.

majestic's part numbers arent the same format as the honda OEM part numbers... i dont suggest getting these parts from majestic, either. they are pretty cheap, like $25 for each of the two parts that you need... the couple bucks ull save by getting them from majestic, youll just end up spending on shipping. so i say go to ur dealer where you can see the diagrams and tell them exactly what to order, and you can return it if anybody screws up and gets you the wrong parts...

actually when i did this swap, i was swapping a whole lot of parts between two cars- i had an automatic EX w/ auto f22a6, and a manual LX w/ manual H22A in it... i put an old manual accord tranny on the f22a6 and stuck it in the manual LX, but i swapped all the mounts between the two cars... so the LX had the automatic rear mount, even tho the car WAS a manual.... and my new EX got the manual mount from the LX...

it was the EX that got the stiff mounts, and the EX had the manual mounts... so it was the manual mount that i filled, not the auto one. the old auto rear mount is still in the LX, sold to some kid in my hometown.

....sorry for being so verbose, i jsut think it helps clear things up sooner so people dont have to ask as many questions

Current cars:

Comment

do u have any pictures of the trans mount. I have have the same problem. I have a 90 accord EX 5 speed that is being parted out, I have a 91 accord SE auto. I just swaped it over the weekend with h22a with an accord 5 speed tranny from the 90 accord. But I still don't know what I should do about the trans motor mount. I have been trying to fix the mount with out have to weld a new mounting point for the trans mount

I need some advice on this problem, please I need some info.
                          1991 Green/Tan CB7 DD

Comment

Working...
                          X